Monday, May 15, 2006

What's in a cover


What’s in a cover?

Okay guys, today I want to talk about what’s in a cover.

I have some pretty strong opinions about covers and would love to share them. In my humble opinion, a cover can make or break a book. I have to admit, I’m a cover slut and I think a good percentage of the population is right there with me. I mean… I’m a visual person, I’m attracted to likeable covers and a well-done cover will actually set a spark off in my brain, like a positive dopamine reaction (think chocolate) and drive me to buy the book because of that feeling. If I see a cover I like, I’m going to buy the book with only a very cursory glance at the back flap. I feel like a cover absolutely affects sales.

These are a couple of my favorite http://www.Liquidsilverbooks.com covers for my books.


Here’s an e-book I bought becaus
e of it’s cover, Heart of a Sorceress and let me tell you why… I’m interested in Magic, liked the blurb, the man was attractive, ding, ding, ding, pleasure… so I bought it. Here's my point is… I originally bought the book because I was attracted to the cover…Here's some others I really like...









So what do you think? Are you are cover slut like me? Will you actually buy a book by its cover? Do you think a bad cover can affect sales?

Rae Monet
http://RaeMonet.com
Come Join My World...

13 Comments:

Blogger LadyVampire2u said...

I think most times covers will sell a book. The first thing the person see's is that cover after all. If it looks exciting, appeals to the eye and incorporates what your looking for in a book (magic, romance, etc) then your going to pick the book up and flip it over to read the back. I can say however, that I will not buy a book based on looks alone. There has to be a good story or else the cover doesn't help much.

~April

6:42 AM  
Blogger Darragha! said...

I often buy books based on if the author and I have any kind of relationship--including being in the same loops, etc.

However, a good cover will make me stop and whip out the plastic :)

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A great cover will make me stop and look. I haven't bought solely based on how awesome a cover is but it sure as hell helped. It affects me not buying though. If the cover is cheezy, chances are less likely for me to pick up/click on the book.

And I gotta say Bonnie Dee's Bone Deep is one of my alltime favorite covers. It's just...gorgeous.

And I think LSB has some of the best covers out there. Hoo-yah.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good cover will spark my interest and make me pick up nthe book to learn more. I am a visual person as well so an unattractive cover is a bit of a turnoff.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Kelley Nyrae said...

I agree with you. The cover is the first thing that attracts me to a book. If I havent read the author, or heard about them I pick up the books where the cover attracts me. Then I read what it is about. If the cover doesnt attract me, I dont usually pick it up. I have probably missed out on a ton of good books that way but it is just automatic.
Nice blog. This is my first visit here.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Estella said...

I buy almost all of my books by author.

3:37 PM  
Blogger jennyowl said...

I'm a visual person so I'm naturally drawn to beautiful covers. If I'm deciding between two books/authors that I'm not quite sure of, the book with a good cover will tip the scales in its favor.

4:54 PM  
Blogger ladycat713 said...

Ultimately I buy a book because of the summary but the cover is what gets you to pick up the book and read the summary in the first place so it definitely affects sales.

4:57 PM  
Blogger jennyowl said...

Forgot to say, for auto buy authors, the cover doesn't matter.

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think a great cover is a plus, but I don't judge the book by it. Generarlly it is the author or if I don't know the author's work, I read a few pages to decide whether to purchase.

Little Lamb Lost

9:03 PM  
Blogger Rae Monet said...

Great comments guys. Glad I'm not the only one out there that is attacted to a book with a great cover!! And yes, LSB's covers rock!

10:49 PM  
Blogger Kayelle Allen said...

I have bought books for their covers and had absolutely no intention of reading them, just for the art. I once maxed out a credit card buying Frank Frazetta covers.

*hangs head in shame*

11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, if you're gonna mention HEART OF A SORCERESS, what about HEART OF A SOLDIER? That manly chest with those dog tags ... is that sexy or what, huh? Hubba, hubba, military hero!

Judy

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders