Monday, May 15, 2006

Men and Coffee, Coffee and Men

I know I'm most likely in a minority of the population when I say I don't like coffee. I love the smell of it, but have never been able to develop a taste for it. Even if I mask it with cocoa, if I can still taste the coffee... blech!

Now men, on the other hand, I'm totally in love with. They're so different from women--and in more than just the obvious physical way. Behave, ya'll, I'm trying to be serious here! If you present a man with a problem, his natural instinct it to give you solutions on how to fix it. He doesn't understand--or appreciate--that you may just want to talk it out.

The way men think is impacted by the amount of testosterone in their bodies. Their brains, while physically larger than women's, have less connections between the two hemispheres, and so they tend not to see the details. Rather, they look at the big picture.

Which is why a man can walk from the bedroom to the garage, on a mission to get a hammer, and walk a dozen times or more past a pile of dirty clothes that needs to be thrown into the washer. Most of the time, ladies, he honestly doesn't see them.

Ever have your husband or significant other (or son or brother) stand in front of an open refrigerator and holler, "Honey, where's the mayo?"

"On the second shelf," you yell back.

"I can't see it!" he shouts.

So you stop whatever it is you're doing, walk into the kitchen, push him (gently) out of the way, move a few items around and pull out the jar of mayonnaise.

He didn't see it, nor did it occur to him to move stuff around. It's the way he's wired.

Now, you're wondering why this post has to do with men and coffee? Take a look at the picture below. (I saw this on a couple of other loops I'm on.) There's a man's face among the beans.

Try to find him--it's fun.

Doctors have concluded that if you find the man in the coffee beans in 3 seconds, the right half of your brain is better developed than most people.

If you find the man between 3 seconds and 1 minute, the right half of your brain is developed normally.

If you find the man between 1 minute and 3 minutes, then the right half of your brain is functioning slowly and you need to eat more protein.

If you have not found the man after 3 minutes, the advice is to look for more of this type of exercise to make that part of the brain stronger!

And, yes, the man is really there!!! (It took me more than 3 seconds, but less than a minute, so I guess that means I'm normal. Well, as normal as I can be, I guess. Hey! I heard that. No smartass remarks from the peanut gallery! LOL)

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~


So, how'd you do?


Sherrill Quinn
Romance With An Edge
Website | Blog | MySpace | Readers Group

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It took me about 30 seconds. But I stepped back with eyes closed and opened them quickly to get a better impression of light and dark. If I had done this starting out it would have been within the 3 seconds. I wonder if that puts me into the higher testosterone problem solving category. Not sure how my hubby would feel about that...

Little Lamb Lost

1:41 AM  
Blogger LadyVampire2u said...

It took me less then a minute here but I work with details all day being an artist.

~April

3:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It took me less than a minute.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, gals, y'all are doing well, especially so early in the morning! LOL

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suck.

Couldn't see it at all.

Sigh.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, he's there. His face is about the size of one of the beans, so it's really hard to find...

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It took me less than a minute too, but it helped once i figured out that I could make the pic a lil larger.

And you can lump me into that minority with you Sherrill! I hate the taste of coffee but just love the smell of it!! Its weird though because I LOVE Dark chocy the darker the better!!

Stephanie

11:24 AM  
Blogger Amie Stuart said...

>>"I can't see it!" he shouts.

I have come to the conclusion that this is a decidedly MALE trait as both of my young sons do it!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

Stephanie: I don't like dark chocolate, either. It's creamy milk or white for me. :)

Cece: I'm tellin' ya, it's the way they're wired. Might as well give up, girl. LOL

11:48 AM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

Emma, good for you that you found it!

Tami, speaking of ketchup... I have a story to tell on my youngest niece. She was about 10 or so, asked my mom where the ketchup was. Mom said, "It's on the door of the refrigerator." Niece turns around and stares at the refrigerator door. Biting the inside of my cheek to keep from laughting at the little sprite, I told her she needed to open the refrigerator first, then look.

True story. LOL

1:09 PM  
Blogger Bonnie Dee said...

Oh my god! I need some protein, stat!
I can never do these things--the stupid posters you have to stare and unfocus your eyes in order to be able to see the other picture. Thank you for making me feel like a FAILURE today!!! I feel mis-wired.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Bonnie Dee said...

Oh my god again. Once I read Emma's post and realized it wasn't a magic eye picture and I looked again. I could find the little man. I feel so much better about myself.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

Bonnie, this isn't one of those where you have to unfocus and refocus--I can never see anything in those, either. This has a man's face amongst the beans.

Go have a nice big steak. As if you needed an excuse... LOL

1:19 PM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

Okay, Bonnie, I see you figured it out. We cross-posted on our last comments. :)

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe that I found it relatively easy and fast. I thought for sure that part of my brain wouldn't be quick but I was wrong. It probably was under 20 secs. I think reading "Highlight Books" for my daughters in which they have search for objects in the pictures in each magazine probably kept that part active.

I can't stand coffee either. It tastes terrible and I have never drank more than 1 sip ever in my life. I have other vices of course. Diet Pepsi anyone???

1:56 PM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

Rae, he blends in really well. *G*

Debbie, I prefer either Coke Zero or Diet Coke, but in a bind I'll take a Diet Pepsi. LOL

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh thank god for Emma! I was treating it like a 3D poster too! Phew.

Found the guy. I don't feel like an utter moron.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathie--needed something a bit stronger than coffee, eh? LOL

9:02 PM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

That last comment was me. Somehow I ended up posting as anonymous. Hmm.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Estella said...

Took about 4 seconds and I loooooove coffee.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

Estella, good for you! I'll admit, it took me longer than you. :)

11:23 PM  
Blogger A J said...

It took me (a guy) 15 seconds. He looks kinda like the actor Gerry Doyle (Garibaldi from Babylon 5).

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I kept trying to look for a BIG face, like, made from the beans. (One bean as a nose, two as the eyes, etc. I also thought it was like Magic Eye.) But then I started scrutinizing and found him. Took less than a minute, but I do have pretty sucky vision, which might account for it.

No worries, Jenna. He's small.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders