Thursday, March 16, 2006

Time for a Little Spring Cleaning...


Does the thought of spring-cleaning send you into a cold sweat and sprout hives on your skin? You’re not alone. I mean, do I really want to know what lives in the dark corners of my kitchen cupboards? I’m hoping I’ll never find out. Usually it takes a house sale and impending move to get me to go that deep. But when the weather’s nice, I do start thinking about fresh paint jobs and washing the windows. Maybe it’d be nice to see the crystal clear sun shining through, for a change, instead of a dim haze. This impulse tends to pass very quickly. All I need to do is stay on the couch and wait. Or, better yet, start tearing apart a room, then stop, leaving it in a worse state then when I started.

But you know, there could be some sexual benefits to spring-cleaning. I hadn’t really thought about it that way before, but I’m sure it’s bound to boost hubby’s libido to come into a bedroom that has freshly laundered sheets and an obvious lack of laundry stacks. Or maybe the smell of dirty socks turns him on? No, that was an ex-boyfriend…not going to go there. Truly it’s my libido that would get the boost…as long as I’m not the one who slaved all day getting the room into ship shape. And maybe while cleaning, I’ll find the sexy negligee I wore eons ago or maybe an interesting gadget or two hidden in a dresser drawer…not going there either.

Mostly, though, it’s just the mental spring-cleaning that I need. That boost that comes from extra hours of sunlight and warm breezes and buds on the trees. Around here, that also means pollen and bugs, but hey, can’t have everything, right? Spring means conferences coming up, which always makes me write faster. Nothing like impending editor pitches to put me to work. And I get in health-mode, so I exercise more and plant a garden. The garden always fries by mid-summer, but it’s great having fresh herbs for a month or two, which means I might also cook something. Another rarity.

So to help with spring cleaning, the March issue of Shara’s E Zone has some books and web sites to check out. Go to my News Page at www.sharalanel.com to learn how to subscribe, which reminds me—are you participating in the Silver Shamrock Invitational? Make sure you get in the game before March 19th, St. Silver’s Day.

Feel free to let me know your thoughts on spring cleaning or if you have any pressing questions you’d like to ask me, fire away!

12 Comments:

Blogger Jaynie said...

My hubby gets turned on when I clean lol, probably cos I do it so infrequently.

I've entered the silver shamrock too - it was fun *g*

3:36 AM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

Cleaning? Any time of year it's a dirty word. LOL But I do like things to be... well, maybe "clean" isn't the right word. Uncluttered, certainly. I can only take so much clutter before it drives me to take action.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Shara Lanel said...

Jaynie, I can relate to that! ;-)

Cyn, I used to live in western NY, so I relate to the it-can-only-get-better feeling.

Rae, Wow--you had 6000 sq ft to play around in? No wonder you hired someone to clean it before you moved--I can't imagine!

Sherill, uncluttered would be good, but with my books stacked everywhere, that tends to be impossible. I go on a reading or research rampage and sprout new stacks overnight.

Shara
www.sharalanel.com

9:57 AM  
Blogger Dee S Knight and Anne Krist said...

I read in dh's horoscope the other day that he's a person who needs and wants sparkly clean living quarters. But he married a woman (me) who thinks if a dust bunny can't be seen, it doesn't exist.

The first time after we were married and his mom went into her spring cleaning mode, I was shocked. I mean she took all of the clothes out of dresser drawers, took the drawers out of the dresser and dusted the bottoms!! I thought, sheesh! Dust can't get in there!

I know, I know. I was wrong, but I'd been trained by my mom who always thought reading the next Agatha Christie mystery was far more important than housecleaning. I learned well!

Fortunately, dh loves me despite my (many) failings. His libido seems as good whether the house is messy or neat, so lucky me!

Dee
www.deesknight.com

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yesterday my mom came over and I shooed her off to my cousin's so I could make my kitchen...safe.

I need a minion who likes to clean because I suck at it. Unfortunately I like the way my place looks when it's clean.

Tonight when I get home I'm going to :::shudder::: vacuum and :::shudder::: dust and :::shudder::: finish cleaning.

Cleaning benders don't happy very often with me but I have to go with the flow when I'm on one.

I also like watching How Clean Is Your House because a smug feeling fills me as I think "My place isn't that bad!"

10:57 AM  
Blogger Shara Lanel said...

Dee, reading Agatha Christie is FAR more important than cleaning. *g* You learned the proper priorities. My son and I have been watching ALL of the Star Wars movies instead of cleaning his room.

Jenna, I've never seen that show. What network is it on? I agree--when an organizing/cleaning mood takes over it's important to go with it.

Emma, the problem with my dresser drawers is that they're jam packed so that the rest of my clothes live on top of my cedar chest. Keeps the dust out of the drawers and from the top of the furniture. ;-)

Shara
www.sharalanel.com

11:42 AM  
Blogger Bonnie Dee said...

Clean is always better. It makes me feel simultaneously more energized and more relaxed to have things fresh, clean and orderly, and that equals being more likely to be 'in the mood.'

12:17 PM  
Blogger Estella said...

Any cleaning--Spring or otherwise--Ugh! I'd rather be reading a good book.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Shara Lanel said...

I'm with you, Estella, give me a good book anyday!

Robin, sounds like you have a workable plan at least. I'm sure your house looks great with all the snowmen up.

Shara
www.sharalanel.com

4:34 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Hart said...

I dread cleaning but like the results, so for me it's a necessary evil. I function better in an orderly, tidy environment. Unfortunately, both dh and I clutter so that's a challenge!

Happy Silver Shamrock hunting!

Nessie

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though my husband loves me, he acknowledges that he did not marry me for my cleaning abilities...that would be for any season, I must add.

Little Lamb Lost

3:12 AM  
Blogger Shara Lanel said...

Good for you, Pam! We all need a little dirt to have a healthy immune system anyway--or so my dad says ;-)

Thanks to everyone who dropped by to blog with me.

Shara
www.sharalanel.com

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders