Saturday, March 11, 2006

Decadent Desserts

Okay for a slightly different shift in topic, now that I've enjoyed a glorious mental vacation in a number of exotic locales, and reluctantly left the cabana boys broken-hearted and pining for my return...

Oh, wait, that's the other Xandra. I actually had a great and educational time at my local RWA chapter meeting. Came back home to discover my daughter (not quite ten months old) sprouted two more teeth that she didn't have this morning. But whether it's a good day spent on the beach, snapping my fingers at the cabana boys, or the camaraderie of spending a day with my writing sisters talking about, well, writing, nothing tops off a day like dessert.

And since today was a bit rainy (but still rather balmy for March in the Midwest), and made me think of spring (and make silly faces at my crocuses, which are almost an inch above ground!), I'll share with you one of my favorite desserts. It's versatile, works for kids and grownups, and is both rich and easy to make.

Edible Dirt
1 20 oz package chocolate sandwich cookies with creme filling
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 (3.9 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
3 cups milk
1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed

Crush the cookies (you can cop out and use a food processor, but I prefer to put them in a bag and smash them with a rubber mallet, then use a rolling pin. This also qualifies as low-level stress therapy) and set them aside.

In a large bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat for 1 minute on low speed, then beat on medium to high speed until smooth. Add pudding mix and milk and beat on low speed to blend. Fold in the whipped topping with a spatula.

Alternate layers of crushed cookies and pudding mixture in the serving container of choice, ending with a layer of crushed cookies. Chill for 3 hours before serving.

For spring events, I like to use a clean plastic flowerpot, plant silk or plastic flowers in the top, and serve it with a (new) garden trowel or plastic sandbox shovel. If there are children involved, add a layer of gummi worms in between one of the layers of crushed cookies and pudding mixture.

For fall events, especially Hallowe'en themes, I like to layer the ingredients in a 13X9 cake pan, and plant Pepperidge Farm Milano cookie "headstones" in the top, and candy bones under the top.

I hope you SExay people enjoyed blogging with me today, as much as I enjoyed sharing a day with you! Thank you all for making me feel welcome. I can't wait until my name comes up in the rotation again!

Xandra

1 Comments:

Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

Xandra, this recipe sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing.

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders