Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Chasing Dreams

TheDevilInside_500x750What motivates you to chase your dreams??

There's just somthing about watching people chase their dreams that inspires me. I admit it. I get choked up watching American Idol or the Olympics. Why not? these people are real and thet are out theri going after thier dreams

When I saw the final night of American Idol last year, my breath caught in my throat, my chest got tight, and I sat alone in my living room grinning from ear to ear, as if it were my dreams coming true at that moment.

Some people denigrate these shows because they’re reality shows. But you know what? This isn’t just a group of strangers put in a house or on an island to fight over money. These people are going after their dreams. How can you NOT cheer them on?

Can you imagine how it felt for those people to get on that stage in a huge arena like that, on television, and sing with THEIR idols? Carrie got to sing with Rascal Flats, and Bo got to sing with Leonard Skynard. Those moments are DREAMS COMING TRUE.

And they happened because they went for it!

I got choked up when I was watching The Contender too. Remember the boxing show? Yup, that didi it. Last night I was watching Jack Osborn climb El Capitan. I don't even like the Osborns, but seeing his journey to get where he went made me all weepy and motivated.

Even the people that try out for these shows, and are absolutely terrible singers or whatever…you have to give them credit for chasing their dreams. It takes faith, perseverance, and guts to go after what you want. To face ridicule and rejection, and to keep on keeping on.

There are many days when I just don’t want to write. I don’t want to sit in front of a computer, I don’t want to think, I don’t want to open up an email . . . or an envelope and see a rejection letter. But then I think about what I do want. I do want to be self-employed. I do want to see my name on bookstore shelves. I do want to share the stories that fill my head. I do want people to read those stories, and find some enjoyment or escape from their own worries and troubles.

I have posters on my walls with motivational sayings like “All Glory comes from daring to begin.” And “Success doesn’t come to you, you go to it.” One of the things on the bulletin board in front of me, is a page from a sports calendar that is a couple of years old, but I keep it because it helps me stay motivated those off days. The saying on it; “Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay away and do them.” The one below says "What the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve."
M100565

It almost makes me wish there was a big writing contest like that. But, with my luck it would be American, and they wouldn’t accept Canadians. Plus, it would probably pretty boring to sit and watch people read, not very interactive at all. I can say having Angela Knight critique The Devil Inside, and say she was impressed is something I’ll always remember. (And yes, I STILL have the email, and a printed copy of her critique to remind myself that if she liked it…I’m on the right track.) But, I have to say if I had a chance to live an interactive moment (or hour) with one of my idols, I think I’d choose to work out with Chuck Norris.

That man is amazing. There’s so much more to him than his movies and TV series (Walker; Texas Ranger) But that’s another post.

This is the end of this one…but I would like to know…What, or who, inspires you.... and what would you choose to do if given the chance to interact with an Idol of your own?

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beth~ Your Dad, That is so great! I have to say My mom isn't my inspiration, but she is the one who is always reminding me that nothign is impossable. To keep going.

Stephen King is inspiring. Especially if you know his history.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Y. said...

Great post! There are many things that inspire me. My family probably inspires me the most.

If I could meet one of my own idols, I am not sure what I would do or who I would choose. I would be really nervous about meeting them. I probably wouldn't make much sense talking to them.

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer, I think most famous people are used to that. Us normal ones not being coherent when we meet them. It's still special though. :)

1:40 PM  
Blogger Jordan Summers said...

I have several writers who inspire me, Sylvia Day, Angela Knight, Christine Feehan, Stephanie Laurens, and Lisa Kleypas. Three of them show me what I need to strive for in order to create a wonderful romance. The other two inspire me to be a better paranormal writer. In my personal life, it would have to be my husband, my mom and my friends, T & J. :)

2:43 PM  
Blogger Sasha White said...

Jordan, It's wonderful that you find inspiration in so many places! I think it's huely important for peoepl to knwo wher to look when they are down. :)

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peaches~ I think things liek that are excellent for kids. It teachs them that they are cpapbel of so much more than they thought, and that's a priceless gift.

You could still be a writer...if you want to be. :)

5:14 PM  
Blogger Bailey Stewart said...

I'm an Idol fanatic! And I have seen interviews with famous people who have revealed the same giddiness we show when they meet their "idol", so it's not just us "normal" ones.

One of my heroes is my uncle. A kind, gentle, compassionate man who, in WWII participated in one of the greatest POW rescues in history. They were told to get it done or not come back. To go against the odds, to do what you are told can't be done and yet to do it and be successful at it - that's inspiration. As to who I would interact with - I don't know, the list is too long.

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"To go against the odds, to do what you are told can't be done and yet to do it and be successful at it - that's inspiration."

Yes!! So true!

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me? Full of Sass? *blink blink*

Okay, I can accept that. And take it as a compliment! LOL
Thanks Tami!

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me it's a complete circle. I get motivated by people such as yourself and I in turn want to share that motivation any way I can and so try to motivate and congratulate and appreciate all that you do for me.

My dreams are all about family, friends, people, teaching my daughters self worth and compassion and treating people the way you want to be treated. They make the difference in my life. It's really alot of fun to try and make somebodies day and sometimes I can do that by sheer accident. I have had many authors return an email and let me know that I made their day by sending them a note about their work.

This is a great topic Sasha and I still remember the first time I saw your post and I won a book of yours and was so thrilled that once I read Devil Inside I was hooked on you - now I follow your career and sometimes your life and even though it may not be as often as I would like - well I have my eyes on you! Congrats on all your success! I wish we lived closer together because I know we would have fun together but I'm happy knowing you through the internet and I'm sure 1 day we will meet.

I wish you continued success because you deserve it. You treat people like they are royalty.

Cheers!

3:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tami. Sass is fine. I like Sass! *big grin*

Thank you!

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie!

You make your dream come true quite often if it's to make people's day. :) I know you've picked me up a time or two with just a post or an email. A little note from a reader means so much to an author.

Thanks you for all your kind words!!

Hugs,
Sasha

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders