Thursday, March 09, 2006

Love is the Drug


We've all heard that love is like a drug. There have been countless songs written about love being addictive, like Robert Palmer's Addicted to Love and Bryan Ferry's Love is the Drug. Love really is like a drug.

An article I read not long ago explains this very well. Rhonda Grayson discusses the science of love in her article, Love is the Drug: "The part of the brain that lit up the strongest was that associated with rewards and pleasure, a finding not nearly as poetic as romantics would have thought. It turns out that, to the brain, love is just another reward, much like chocolate or money, or like a drug to an addict. This brain system gets used every time you want something."

One Love Addiction site lists the withdrawal symptoms we go through when we've lost the object of our addiction/craving:

sweating or rapid pulse
increased hand tremor
insomnia
nausea or vomiting
physical agitation / irritability or easily excited
anxiety / panic
chills and sweating / clammy skin
loss of appetite
cramps and nausea
feeling of jumpiness or nervousness
feeling of shakiness
emotional volatility, rapid emotional changes
depression
fatigue
difficulty with thinking clearly
sensation of feeling the heart beat (palpitations)
headache


Let me tell you, I've been there. I've had relationships in which I had no control. What a roller coaster ride.

My herione, Leah Ryan in my new release, Repo Chick Blues, uses sex as a drug sometimes, to distract her from the chaos of her life. When you're caught in the euphoria of sexual attraction and fantastic sex, you really don't care what's going on, right? *grin*

So tell me, have you ever been addicted to love? Leave a comment and I'll do a drawing for a free copy of Repo Chick Blues.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was an extremely serious young woman. Love made me do something very uncharacteristic. I slowly moved in with a man beginning about 2 weeks from our first date. It began with a drawer for my things, then part of the closet, a bit of shelf space, and then I suddenly didn't need a place of my own since all of my belongings were there with me and my love.

Little Lamb Lost

9:33 AM  
Blogger Amie Stuart said...

Yup......I have and lemme tell ya, sugar, I'll NEVER get that hooked on anyone again...It's been almost five years and I still get a knot in my stomach every time i think about him.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Y. said...

I am afraid not...hmm...not sure I would want to go through those withdrawal symptoms.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Sasha White said...

I've never been addicted to Love. I've never been in Love. LOL . Lust, uhmm yup I can admit a fondness for being in Lust. *grin*

12:34 PM  
Blogger Amie Stuart said...

Lust rocks ;-)

1:10 PM  
Blogger jennyowl said...

Love did make me do crazy things like sleeping over at my boyfriend's place against my parents' wishes, skipping classes, developing a love for rock music.

3:03 PM  
Blogger ladycat713 said...

Does a love for dark chocolate count?

3:30 PM  
Blogger Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

Jenny, we all do stuff like that when we're crazy about someone :)

Tamara, I've been known to do some crazy stuff for dark chocolate! And I do go through the afore mentioned withdrawal symptoms when I'm without it!

3:46 PM  
Blogger robynl said...

I was addicted to my relationship with my first hubby who left me, cheated, came back after my begging, and then 5 years later kicked me out and divorced me. It sure makes one careful after that. Am now married to a wonderful guy for 16 yrs.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Amie Stuart said...

LOL Tamara that's funny! I feel the same about Godiva........

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i remeber knowing that he was cheating on me and wanting to catch him in the act so i could say : see i am not crazy. Driving over to his place over the speed limit and my heart racing the adrenaline that i felt it was like the most intense drug i have ever done. yet in the end i did not need to catch him because i felt crazy trying to prove that i wasn't crazy.

1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders