Saturday, May 20, 2006

I love "cock"

“You’re cock, Jeff!”

“Thank you!”

It’s an odd exchange. Also, one of my favorite random concert moments. I was at a Jeff Tweedy (he’s the lead singer of Wilco) concert, and somebody shouted that. In fact, somebody shouts it at every Wilco or Jeff Tweedy concert. Or at least, every concert I’ve ever heard. I’ve seen him live five times, and since they encourage their audience to record the concerts, I have some bootleg recordings as well.

But what does it mean?

Well, Jeff Tweedy insists that when he was growing up, cock meant awesome. “Look at my new baseball card.” “Man, that’s totally cock!” In fact, Jeff has gone on a single-man crusade to reclaim his favorite word. (Jeff, also, incidently is one of the bluest people I’ve ever heard live. I’m sorry. I misfingered it (the guitar). And we all know how painful that can be! Yes, yes we do.

Oh, where was I? Right. Cock.

Now, Jeff Tweedy is my muse. I love that man. I love every word of every lyric, every note, every second of every song. If he’s involved, I love it. But I have to disagree with Jeff on this point, as much as it kills me. I can’t help reclaim cock and make it a clean word. Because it’s my favorite dirty word.

Writing erotica is hard, but the English language and slang doesn’t do your humble writer any favors. Look at the words we have to work with. Penis, shaft, erection, dick, Johnson, purple-headed love mushroom, the one-eyed snake, etc etc. All too clinical, or too silly. Shaft works the best, but come on, who doesn’t think of the song (Damned right! Shut yo mouth).

It’s my default favorite when discussing male genitals. Also, it’s fun to say. Say it now. Say it under your breath if you’re at work. Cock, cock, cock, cock. I think it’s a delightful word. Just dirty enough to give you a thrill, but utilitarian enough to get the job done.

Imagine if Jeff’s one-man crusade is successful? Then one of the most delightfully fun and dirty words, not to mention useful and versatile, in an erotica writer’s vocabulary will be lost forever!

I guess what I’m trying to say here is that "cock" is cock!

5 Comments:

Blogger Estella said...

Cock will always be the male organ as far as I am concerned.

9:04 AM  
Blogger jennyowl said...

I'm with you, it's a great word, plus it has other innocent meanings. I came across one of those message boards that has auto censorship and cock wasn't allowed. It change it to some other nonsensical word which can have some hilarious results. LOL

10:13 PM  
Blogger Dee S Knight and Anne Krist said...

This reminds me of a friend who moved to California from Canada when she was in middle school. She asked the boy sitting in front of her if she could borrow his rubber. She said he looked at her in horror (this was a good many years ago), and she learned then about the different meanings of words, lol.

Cock IS a great word. Tell Jeff he can't have it.

Dee

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that it is a great word. But because of the other meaning to it, every time I hear the phrase "as the cock crows"... I substituted the last c in the phrase with a g and chuckled. Well even the original description used in the right way can be gleeful.

Yes feeling sophomoric this morning.

Little Lamb Lost

11:41 PM  
Blogger Amie Stuart said...

Hysterical! I remember a neighbor of ours from when I was much younger--his name was Randall but he went by Randy. He went to UK once and was sitting in a bar drinking....do you know where this is going? Yeah, he'd walk up to girls and say "Hi I"m Randy, can I buy you a drink?" Little did he know the 'other' meaning for Randy!

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders