Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Meeting your kid's date.

Good morning and happy holidays. This is the time of year when many of us meet our kids' special someones for the first time. I thought I'd share our heartwarming (gutwrenching) meeting with our daughter's boyfriend. It's kind of a long story, but hang in there. Once you get through the gut wrenching part, there's an HEA:

My daughter’s boyfriend, Matt, is definitely an acquired taste. And through my darling only child, Holly, we managed to acquire him. It all began the summer she worked in a video store. This wasn’t one of those dream jobs for a college student between semesters, but she probably remembers it fondly since she made more friendships than money.

Most of the employees had a love of music in common. By the end of the summer, I was hearing about a couple of young guys working at the store who played in a local rock band. She and some of her friends from the store went to see them play a few times. Before long, Holly was dating one of them. He even took her to a party at Sully’s house (of Godsmack fame.) She was gobsmacked.

We didn’t need to approve of Holly’s dates anymore, but they had been seeing each other for a few months, and I asked her to bring him by some time. She said he was “afraid” to meet us. Afraid? Of us? But we’re cool parents! Okay, slightly overprotective parents trying to be cool, but it’s almost the same thing. Why should he be afraid to meet us?

I came home from work one evening to find one huge pair of shoes in the living room. They weren’t my husband’s, and I didn’t know any clowns, so to whom did they belong? Soon, my daughter bounded downstairs to make a snack for herself and Matt. So, the mystery boyfriend was upstairs! When my husband got home the two of us camped out on the couch, waiting to meet this legendary boyfriend. It was kind of like waiting to see if Bigfoot existed. I might have been less surprised if Bigfoot had actually descended the stairs instead of Matt.

Large stocking feet came into view, then huge pants that fell below his underwear as if they were many sizes too big—which they were. At last, we saw his face. Rather, once we recovered from the shock of seeing the bright green hair and about twenty piercings on either side, then we saw his face. He would have been handsome. Such a pity.

We tried not to overreact. Maybe the band would hit it big and he’d go on tour? Nope. The band broke up and he played video games in his mother’s basement for a year. Maybe he’d decide to “find himself” and go to Tibet or something. No, he was perfectly satisfied being a slacker, thank you.

This one boy turned my husband from stepfather to full-fledged parent. The more he made it clear that he didn’t like this kid, the more my daughter defended him. And then we learned that Matt had been kicked out of high school and had never graduated. That was it. My husband declared war! The hostilities were short-lived, thank God. My daughter wisely waited to mention this until Matt was ready to take his GED--which he passed with flying colors. Oh, and he gave up the bright colors in his hair, letting his beautiful, thick brown waves show. Next, he took his SAT’s. That’s when we discovered how smart this kid was. Sheesh! Who knew?

Matt is now in his Junior year of college, keeping a 4.0 average. We’re delighted (and relieved) to say that in the past five years, my daughter’s boyfriend has grown on us. He’s good-looking, smart, honest, and funny—and he loves my daughter as much as we do. Why’d we worry?

19 Comments:

Blogger LadyVampire2u said...

I enjoyed your story. Reminds me of what I went through to get my folks to accept my guy here. You know, I think there is a rule somewhere that makes it impossible for the parents to love any guy who dates their daughter....unless they hand pick them out and even then its up for grabs. Anyhow, thats how I have tended to feel it was. Thank goodness the man in my life has managed to win over my family here too.

7:09 AM  
Blogger jennyowl said...

Cyndi, I smiled my way through your story but it couldn't have been easy for you and your hubby at the time. All parents want the best for their children. I'm glad it all turned out so well. Wishing Holly and Matt every happiness as a couple.

9:13 AM  
Blogger ChristyJan said...

That was heartwarming and (gutwrenching) with a happy ending.
What is that saying about you can't judge a book by it's cover?

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we are all guilty of judging "the book" buy it's cover. We never know what's inside those pages.

I have sons (20 & 16) and have been fortunate that we like their girlfriends. :)

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning Cyndi

I couldn't help but laugh while reading your description of Matt descending the stairs. I guess bright green isn't too bad of a color. Be glad it wasn't a multi colored mohawk!

I was so happy to read that he's now in college and that he cares so much for your daughter.

Have a great Christmas!

Tammy

9:29 AM  
Blogger blueviolet said...

I need to stop complaining about my daughter's boyfriend now that I've read your story. I just keep thinking "it could be a lot worse." If yours turned out to be a prince charming, maybe my daughter's frog will too.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cyndi,
I am so glad everything turned out well. My children are 4 and 5, so I have a while to go before facing dating. All I can say is, I do not look forward to it. I almost feel sorry for the first boy my daughter dates, because I know my husband will give him the 3rd degree. I know the inside is what matters, but I do hope he has normal hair lol!
Zara

10:18 AM  
Blogger Melanie Atkins said...

Cyndi,

My oldest son was kind of like that, too. Now he's in college and all excited about life. He's left his streaked hair behind and is now a joy to be around. Isn't it great?? Now, if I can just survive my youngest son's wild stage (he's 17) I'll be okay.

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad it turned out to be happy. This suggests that giving people a second chance is a good thing to do.
Your daughter must have seen something in or about him that you as parents didn't at first.

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool! Isn't it good to knwo your daughter is a good judge of character?

12:48 PM  
Blogger Bonnie Dee said...

My post never showed! I was just sharing my opposite experience with my daughter Katrina's boyfriend, Andy. she waited a long time to find just the right person and he seems to be perfect for her. As my other daughter says, "He's Katrina with a penis." They are as alike as two peas, which kind of surprises me. I thought she'd pick someone who balances her out, a person a little less exhuberant and 'on' than her. But they seem to be happy, like a pair of frollicking puppies.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Meljprincess said...

Hi Cyn!!
Does Matt have any friends with green hair and piercings? *G* I'm so naughty. I'll bet he knows some of the same people I do. I was in a band years ago and met lots of other band members. I even made out with Dave Navarro, who was in Jane's Addiction at the time, in a parking lot in south FL. Oh, the stories I could tell. I love to name drop!

My child, a Siamese cat, will never bring anyone home. He only loves his Mommy.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

What a nice story. I like that you worried but didn't interfere or get between them. My teenage daughter had some friends who were making bad choices and she decided on her own to keep her distance. Her current friends are much better, not bogged down by so many problems.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Caffey said...

You know, that story does tell that some go through stages and too doesn't mean as they are now, they always will be.
My daughter who is 19, I knew she had a boyfriend and I didn't meet him but I saw him around a couple of times that she brought to her apt close to us. But she never brought him down to introduce to us. One day she was in class (college) and he stopped by asking for her and I just started up a conversation and ask him the 100 questions. ROFL. He said the reason he hasn't come down to meet us is because my daughter told him we were sleeping (sleeping in the middle of the day, and all the time?) LOL
Cathie
TBRAnxiety@aol.com

2:08 PM  
Blogger Caffey said...

I'm really computer illerate, LOL, is this the same as the forum (SIN?)
Cathie
TBRAnxiety@aol.com

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cyn, what a neat story!

My mother told me not to marry my husband -- just live with him and have sex. LOL Well, I ignored her and have been with him for 33 years.

Never sure what she didn't like -- he was smart, funny, oh, and had long blond hair and wore the same hole-ly jeans every damn day. Maybe it was the long coat with the caped collar ala Sherlock Holmes? Or the sports car that the passenger door swung open when he took the corner to our house much too fast?

I'll never know why she opposed him -- but she loves him now.

I agree with the one person who said you have to trust that you instilled the proper values in your child and that they will make the correct choices in life. Not necessarily the choices you would make, but the correct choices for them.

I'm sure Matt's mother loved him with green hair and metal-- and is thrilled that he met your daughter and grew up. Sometimes it just takes the love and faith of a good woman.

Hugs--

Rae Morgan

4:19 PM  
Blogger Jaynie said...

Oh wow - that's fabulous. Sounds like a great guy now.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Kimberly Burton said...

WOW! It looks like you have your hands full.

Did you stop to think that your daughter, you, and your husband may be the reason this boy has flurished and grown so much? I bet it is the reason.

Happy Holidays! May the joy of the season bring you and yours love, peace, and happiness.



You are an awesome woman, and if your family is anything like you, anyone would benefit greatly from spending time with you and your family.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Hart said...

Nessie here, late as usual. My true story. One night on the news I saw my step-daughter's boyfriend, J.J., being led away by police for attempted bank robbery. I called my dh who was out of town on business. I said, "honey, I have some good news and some bad news." He said, "what's the good news?" I told him J.J. had been arrested in the course of a bank robbery. DH then asked, "What's the bad news?" I answered, "They took him alive."

We really hated J.J. in case you couldn't tell.

Nessie

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders