Sunday, December 04, 2005

Inspiration

One question that I hate as a writer, and I know other writers do to is…where do the stories comes from?

It’s so hard to explain that. The stories just come. I have no idea where they come from. I can tell you what will give my Muse a kick in the ass though. Movies, books, people watching, magazines, Music.

All of the above. But each and every one doesn’t work every time. It’s just that one of those things will often strike a chord inside me and my Muse will wake up, roll over, and say :”Hey Sasha, listen to this….”

Sometimes, I ignore him. Yes, my Muse is a HE. Ever seen him? This is him here. He’s very..uhmm inspiring. Anyway, back to ignoring him. *grin*


When I saw the movie EMPIRE RECORDS, it struck a chord. I want write a book about a bar/restaurant like that. About the real behind the scenes look at the stuff that happens in a bartenders life. I skimmed the surface of it in GYPSY HEART, but one day, I’ll write more.

The same as this song “Kryptonite” by Three Doors Down. The very first line is "I took a walk around the world to ease my troubled mind." It gets me every time. I’ve traveled a lot, and I have stories to tell, but I’m not in a place were I can do them justice. MEANDROS comes close.

The thing is, people ask where the stories come from, and the only true answer is, and they come from deep inside us. There’s at least a little bit of me in every main character I write. That doesn’t mean I’d do, or have done the things my characters do, it just means, that in order to make those characters real to the reader, and be true to the story, I have to put some of myself in them.

It’s why when someone doesn’t like one of our stories, it can only be on voice out of hundred that doesn’t like it, but I still hurts a bit to hear it.

I wonder too, if that's not when a reader most connects with a book, when they see somethign of themselves in the character? What do you think?

16 Comments:

Blogger Trista Ann Michaels said...

I agree. I like heroines that are more like me.

I also like your muse. I have that picture too and look at it often. In my world his name is Devlin and is the main character in a sci/fi I'm working on as well as a supporting character in two others...:) And his eyes, if you wondering are the color of sapphires, but with an ass like that who cares about the eyes right?? LOL.

Trista

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sasha. Ah, now I understand how you write such hot, steamy stories. :) Your muse is definitely yummy!

As a reader, I appreciate that you put a little of yourself in each book. My favorite stories are those where the characters come alive within my mind. The story seems to fly by and before you know it your at the end. It's that you hate that it ended feeling against that wow that was good book feeling. :)

2:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love the pic. He is very inspiring!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Jordan Summers said...

Your muse is definitely inspiring. Gulp. I think that readers have to see a little bit of themselves in the characters or they won't connect with the story.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Sasha White said...

Trista, He has brown eyes. BUt when he gets really excited...withan IDEA. uh huh that's what I meant...his eyes light up and turn almost amber. :)

HI Shellya! I knwo exactly what you mean, and those books that drive tyou to get tothe end cuz you want to knwo what happens, but at the end you hate that it's over...those are the ones I reread all the time!!

HI Amy!

Jordan! :) Do you, as a writer, put a bit of yourself into most of your characters?

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like heroines who are both like me and different from me. i like someone with a very strong identity in stories.

*grins* i like your muse! May i borrow him? i have a girl who's nearly naked, which is fine for me, but i need a guy too... a strong, sexy, leather-loving, buckle-wielding, long-haired guy. *tries to look innocent* It's all about balance!

Hm. i know that when i write, i try to draw from somewhere inside. i also try to use other people as... a starting point for some characters. Still, the characters have to speak to me. *nodnod* They are in my head all the time and won't shut up!! *tears her hair out*

*chuckles* i have the most trouble starting. If i can get the first paragraph, then i'm good to go. i could use advice on how to get over those nerves!

Many blessings,
chibi-hentai

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chibi-hentai,

My Muse goes where he wants, but he always comes back to me. *wink*

As for starting...my best advice is let yourself believe that it doesn;t matter what you write, you can always rewrite it!

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your muse. Yummy.

Rae Morgan

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chibi-hentai ~ You're welcome. I hope the advice helps. If not, I'm sure the Muse will! ;)

Rae ~ It's so easy to like hiim isn't it? *grin*

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sasha,
As a reader, I do enjoy books that have heroines that are both like me and also different from me. I really appreciate the fact that you put so much of yourself into your writing. Your Muse definitely is inspiring!!!! Wow!!!

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always loved your muse! But then again, I've loved all of your yummies.
I think all writers put a bit of themselves in their characters - I know that I've heard actors say the same thing, even when they portray "dark" characters, they dig deep down to that dark place within all of us.
I get inspiration from the same places you do - but sometimes, the voice just whispers in my ear out of no where - usually some place where I can't write it down, the little bastard!

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Annalisa! Thanks for the comment. It's great to know that bleeding for the stories is appreciated. *wink*

Eve, that little voice ias your own muse...maybe he just needs some luv' n LOL And yeah. mine tends to jump when I'm busy at something else too! :)

2:16 AM  
Blogger Jaynie said...

crap Sasha - do you lend him out?

I know what I'm dreaming about tonight.

...oh, and the stock answer. Tell people you buy your ideas at K-mart or Walmart I guess you Americans call it.

I've never understood that question either.

7:06 AM  
Blogger The Great and Might Os said...

Forget what goes on behind the scenes in a bar/restaurant. Write about the secret life of an erotic author....all the naughty little happenings..........muahahahahahaha

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Janie R~ I don't lend him out...He occasionally gets pissed off at me and runs away, but liek I said, he always comes back! *smile*

And I'm Canadian, I know what K-Mart is. :)

Mel~ It's a fave movie! ALways will be. So Is Clerks! LOL

Cyndi~ He does have endurance. *grin*

Os~ Secret Life? I have no secret life!

Well, ok, Maybe a few secrets. But . . . but . . . they're secrets!! LOL

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya, Sash! I love Empire Records. (I have the DVD and soundtrack) Just wanted to say hi!

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders