Friday, December 02, 2005

What Makes A Man...

Okay, I thought and thought about what the heck to blog about. So I decided to stick with what I know...that's men. More specifically, the hero of a romance.

So what makes a good hero? I picked out the top 5 things that, in my opinion, make a great hero

1. He's Attractive - Even if he's not drop dead gorgeous, his personality should have appeal enough to make the reader forget that he's not surfer dude.

2 He's Strong - Again, even if he's not a body builder, if he offers even a skinny arm for the woman to cry on or is unafraid to call the exboyfriend and tell him the back off, he is a winner.

3. He has a Steady Job - Even the rogue highway man has a constant flow of income. Nothing worse than a forty year old man, unemployed and living in his mother's house. He doesn't have to be wealthy, he just has to be able to make it on his own.

4. Flaws - This one is tricky...give him the wrong flaw, and suddenly nobody likes him. Make him a clean freak but do it in a way that is lighthearted and funny, he could be interesting, do it in a way that makes an obsession take away from the rest of the story and he becomes the weird guy next door. But the hero NEEDS flaws. It makes him more human where the reader can relate to him in a bigger than life story.

5. How he handles conflict - The biggie. It's cool that Harry Potter - just a kid - faints several times in the movie but nobody wants to see Liam Neeson flopping around every time something emotional happens in the story. The hero doesn't always have to handle conflict healthily...he can have a temper, he can make the wrong choices....he just has to handle conflict with CONFIDENCE. That is the biggest turn on for women and should be remembered when writing a hero.

So those are the top 5 things I could think of that are important when writing a hero. Of course their are other things that make him great, so I challenge you to tell us YOUR top five ways to write a good hero.

-Sable Grey

10 Comments:

Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

Oh, I don't know, Sable. I think I'd like to see Liam Neeson do some flopping... :)

I like a hero who's been raked over life's coals and is hurting deep inside. Only the heroine can help him heal. It's very moving. And can be tricky to write. Don't want him flopping around like some wimp...

3:55 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Hi Sable,

Top 5 ways to write a great hero. Let me see.

Put opera cd on and turn up volume

Pour a shot of HQ

Turn on computer

Open word file

Place fingers correctly on the keyboard

Close eyes and type

Oh wait, that was six. Let's pretend the computer was already on, so I can skip that step ~grinz~.

Michelle

4:52 PM  
Blogger Trista Ann Michaels said...

He must be rich, no poor heroes for me...:)

He must be strong with just a hint of arrogance.

I also like a hero that teases, and laughs easily.

For some reason I also like for them to have just a little bit of temper. I guess that would be his flaw.

I also like a man who's been raked over the coals alittle. I like putting my heroes through hell before they're happy. Makes them appreciate it more...:)

Oh and can't forget the all important thing. He's gotta have a big cock...;)

Trista

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh how to write a hero.

1) I watch *cough* Pitch Black a few times because well, Vin he's my muse (don't tell Jack...he's very sensitive. What? You are. Shh...they already think I'm nuts.)

2) iTunes. Or as I call it icrack. I can't listen to music with words. Soundtracks work well (Gladiator, Batman Begins, etc. - y'know strong hero movie music).

3) Coke Zero. I really need the sugar and caffeinge combo.

4) Noise in Jennaland but quiet surrounding me - essentially characters that talk to me.

5) And, uh, a critique partner a phone call away when it all goes to hell.

But what do I love to write in a hero?

Two words. Damaged. Goods.

Oh yeah.

I wanted him broken, scarred and clinging by the very tips of his fingernails on this edge above a bottomless pit where down below he can hear the hiss of snakes, shadows writhing and the the fires of hell snapping. Then I want the villain to come along and slowly pry one finger up at a time while my hero curses him out (because all my guys have a gutter mouth. What? You do. Shh...they already think I'm nuts). Then when he only has three fingers on, he'll draw a weapon and kablam! No more bad guy. (because almost all my heroes are armed. It makes for careful walking through Jennaland). Then the heroine's hand appears and the hero, ever a loner until this moment because he's been burned too much to trust, reaches up and takes her hand.

Gawd damn. I love this job.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Darragha! said...

My heroes:

Like big girls. Women of substance. With booty. With belly. With two chins and a laugh the size of tomorrow.

Have secrets that yearn to be told, though it might mean the pain of death.

Knows how to make love the way it should be made. Often.

Still has ashes in his pocket from his journey through Hell.

Does the dishes.

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, my heroes must have alpha tendecies but still appreciate a woman who will go toe-to-toe with them.

When the woman needs help -- the man is there.

He has to have a sense of humor, be smart (not necessarily an Einstein), confident, and a generous lover.

He has to be a one-woman-man -- and when he finds the right one -- he goes for it. Think JD Robb's Roarke.

And I agree with Jenna -- Pitch Black Vin. Ooooh, baby, was he hot.

Rae Morgan

7:28 PM  
Blogger Meljprincess said...

A good man is one who will do everything for you while you sit on the couch looking pretty.

A good man never makes you cry unless he's giving you a gigantic diamond ring or some other sparkly trinket.

A good man is always ready for hot, juicy sex even if he's not in the mood and you are!

7:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Strong, caring, have a sense of humor, passionate, and have some flaws.

10:17 PM  
Blogger jennyowl said...

1) Attractive
2) Strong with some hidden vulnerabilities and flaws
3) Compassionate
4) Places the heroine's pleasure before his own.
5) Good at his job

10:28 PM  
Blogger Sable Grey said...

Wow...you guys know what kind of men you want!

I have to say...Jen's answer:

4) Places the heroine's pleasure before his own.

Made me giggle. It never occurred to me but I don't write about men who are selfish in bed. I wouldn't have one in real life so I know I'm not writing about one.

Liam Neeson flopping...maybe parts of him flopping but not him...he's a big guy. LOL

Trista Ann....hahahahaha....no poor men. I don't mind if he's poor myself. I have a cop in Embracing the Sun who lives in a very tiny apartment on the "bad" side of town. I like him there. My heroine in that book, however is a wealthy artist. *grin*

Really good answers, ya'll.

-SG

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders