Friday, July 14, 2006

Happy Birthday!

Today is my birthday. At 3:14 this afternoon, I will officially be 37 years old. I’ve never been one of those women who worried about saying her age, but that’s probably because I’ve always been seen as looking younger than I actually am. When I was 19, I got carded trying to see a PG13 movie with my cousin. I still remember looking down at my C-cup breasts and the car keys I carried and asking the cashier, “Do you really think I don’t look 13?!?”

That doesn’t mean I don’t worry about those little age-niggling things. I color my hair to hide the few strands of gray that refuse to leave my right temple. I buy the best bras I can to keep my breasts from sinking to my stomach. It’s the little things I keep fighting, as if I really have any control over any of it in the long run.

My birthday tends to be a “take stock” kind of day. I look at my life, and I say, “Life is good.” I see what I have, how many blessings there are, and I smile. Sure, there are tough times. I get depressed over the silliest shit sometimes. And I’m not really happy about the whole getting older thing, though I will never be one of those women who goes to such extremes as plastic surgery or anything like that to counter it. But I like to think of what Jeanne Moreau said, Age does not protect you from love, but love to some extent protects you from age. I figure between my husband and my kids, I should be pretty much set. :)

So even though it’s my birthday, I’m wishing all of you a happy Un-birthday, too! Because every day should be a celebration, no matter what.

11 Comments:

Blogger The Juicer said...

Happy 37th birthday!!!

So many of us view aging with such disdain that it's refreshing to see such a positive outlook on birthdays :)

4:12 AM  
Blogger LadyVampire2u said...

Happy Birthday!! May you get all you wish for and more. Today and always.

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

Hope you have a great day! :)

10:32 AM  
Blogger robynl said...

Happy Birthday and enjoy the day to the fullest!

11:12 AM  
Blogger LISA WILLIAMS said...

Happy Birthday!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Meljprincess said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, VIVIAN!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Meljprincess said...

I'm sorry...VIVIEN!
I'm having a bad day. *sigh*

1:02 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Y. said...

Happy Birthday!

1:47 PM  
Blogger Estella said...

Happy Birthday
Good to see a positive attitude about aging.

2:34 PM  
Blogger ladycat713 said...

You're less than a day younger than me . My 37th was at 11:47 last night.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Kayelle Allen said...

I hope you have a wonderful birthday! To help you celebrate, here's the birthday song in Felis, the language of the Kin people.


Mowr anodahkah s'tu
Mowr anodahkah s'tu
Mowr anodahkah te ahmee
Mowr anodahkah s'tu

Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday my friend
Happy birthday to you


Tu skra fesseh anodahkah?
Did you get a birthday spanking? (If not, I have some gorgeous hunks who'd be happy to administer it...) =^_^=

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders