Monday, June 05, 2006

A good author?



First some morning eye candy for y'all. :) some yummy abs and a cute belly button...lol.

Actually my question for everyone is this: What makes a good author? What makes one writer someone you will automatically buy no matter what she/he writes? It might be the same thing that makes a good story. I don't know.

Is it because they use humor in their stories that make you laugh out loud or snort milk through your nose? (like Paige Burns or Dakota Cassidy)

Is it because they take you to a new world or introduces you to aliens? (like Leigh Wyndfield or Xandra Gregory)

Or maybe it's the way they write about ghosts or ancient gods? (Darragha Foster or A.J. Matthews)

See, for me, no matter what Leigh Wyndfield writes..even if it isn't sci-fi..I'd buy it because I know she'll give me a good story no matter what. She'll take me away from my mundane world and entertain me for however long it takes to read her book. Or another one for me would be Paige Burns. She writes great romantic comedies, but if she suddenly wished to write a dark emotional paranormal, I'd still be there with my credit card waiting to buy it. I know that even though she might have jumped into another genre, I'll get my money's worth because her talent to write heart felt characters and make them real to me will make me enjoy any book she writes.

Does it have to do with that elusive thing called 'voice'? Something that we writers struggle with every day..trying to figure out what the heck our 'voice' is...lol. Not sure any one of us could tell you.

Please let me know what makes you buy your favorite authors (and no they don't have to be just Liquid Silver authors..though we like to hear that you like us.. ;) I'll be stopping back as often as I can to chat with y'all and maybe post some more eye candy.

Tiffany Aaron

Touch. Tease. Please.

6 Comments:

Blogger Estella said...

xsinkI think some authors just have the knack of writing a good story no matter the genre---as in Nora Roberts.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Meljprincess said...

Good authors are the ones who have become my friends (you know who you are). I buy their books just because. And my TBR pile would reach the moon. Speaking of the moon, I would try to fetch it for the wonderful women who have gotten to know me. Plus ya'll write such damn good books! *g*

5:30 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

There are some enormously popular authors out there that I don't care for after I've read two or maybe three of their books. Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy the books I read, but as a writer, I guess I can more easily predict the book's plot, outcome, conflict, etc. which makes a book a bore for me. So, if an author has a tried and true formula, I don't usually read more than three of their books. And I'm sorry for using the word formula because it has such a negative connotation, but formulas aren't all bad, obviously. Those authors wouldn't be so successful if they were!

1:36 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:36 AM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Okay, duh. First of all, I deleted the comment because it posted twice. LOL.

Secondly, I didn't really fully answer the question and went off on a tangent.

So, although those "formulaic" authors are very good, I truly love the ones who can craft stories that don't follow a pattern that I can detect.

1:39 AM  
Blogger Meljprincess said...

I was thrilled to meet you too, Tiffany! We had so much fun. Hope you did too.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders