Wednesday, May 31, 2006

New June's Resolutions

On this, the Eve of June, I'm pondering my annual summertime resolutions.

What? You don't make any New June's Resolutions?

Why not? By now you've either perfected or abandoned all your New Year's resolutions, so it's time for something new. Besides, summer resolutions are a little different. They appeal to our inner flighty grasshopper, instead of the inner industrious ant we channel in the winter.

This year, my summertime resolutions include:

1. Spend more time with my cat, rolling in the catnip, playing with the world's greatest cat toy (a springy length of plastic package strapping) and cuddling.

2. Eat more ice cream.

3. Read more good books.

I'm also giving up some things for the summer season. (Who ever made the rule that Lent was the only season that comes with sacrifices, anyway?)

In particular, for the next four months, I'm giving up:

1. Cooking. (I can survive quite nicely on raw veggies from my organic garden, especially if they're augmented by take-out pizza, with – what else? – ice cream for dessert.)

2. Humidity. (If we were meant to sweat, we wouldn't have been given the intelligence to invent air conditioners.)

3. Sanity. (Okay, I'm a writer, so I don't have a lot of sanity to spare, but I do have some, and my other option was to give up housecleaning, but I'd have to do some scrubbing first before I could legitimately give it up, and I'm not insane enough yet to start cleaning just so I can stop.)

Now it's your turn. What are your summer resolutions or sacrifices?

8 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Y. said...

I gave up soft drinks...trying to lose weight and they don't help. It is very hard though because I am hopelessly addicted.

11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, jennifer y, good luck giving up on soft drinks! You're doing a good thing for your body. I read a study that showed even diet soft drinks make you gain weight because they are super-super-sweet and do something weird to your metabolism.

Ok, Jan, my summer resolution? Use the extra time with my kids to do quality things, not fritter it away...swim every day...relax, dammit!

Can you send me some of those organic veggies *g*

--moonlightwillow

12:00 AM  
Blogger Laura Rose said...

But wait! Summertime for me IS in January. LOL Okay, I'll make a couple of winter resolutions...I need to try and enjoy the day job more, remember why I started teaching in the first place, and work to improve mid-year exam results.

2:59 AM  
Blogger Dee S Knight and Anne Krist said...

Laura Rose, your resolution is too good for me!

I just started a job (after 5 years of not working), and my resolution is not to whine. But more about this in tomorrow's blog...

Dee
www.deesknight.com

7:22 AM  
Blogger Meljprincess said...

Summer resolutions: Get my passport done, get contacts and visit my Ma again.

Giving up...time spent on this infernal machine.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

My New June resolution is to enjoy my summer and *not* whine about how hot it is. (I'm in Arizona--we're shooting once again for triple digits over the next few days. Regardless that it's a dry heat, folks--the humidity is under 20%--it's still doggone hot!) Plus I'm going to enjoy the remainder of my freedom before I have to start job hunting in September. :(

9:59 AM  
Blogger robynl said...

Enjoy, enjoy the summer is my resolution; no complaining about 'too warm', insects, dandelions,
etc. My, that is a tall order for me.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Hart said...

My summertime resolutions are to write more and exercise more. That's it. But those two will cover a lot of territory!

Nessie

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders