Friday, June 02, 2006

The Bone in the Stone (NOT!)



Hi need help! I'm writing a novella for a Liquid Silver Books Halloween Anthology, "A Witch in Time." I'm having a heck of a time with getting the title right! The primary objects of the story are a whalebone dildo (I'm blushing even typing this word) and a small Odin Stone. The heroine is Salem Grier, owner of an occult bookstore/antique sex toys shop. You know...leather sheathes and um...whalebone dildos...

Here's an excerpt (first draft stuff...copyright, 2006 Darragha Foster). Have any title ideas for me? The best title gets used, gets credit and gets her choice of LSB book for download!

Thanks for letting me pick your brains...with an awfully large toothpick...


Salem Grier/The Bone in the Stone


Who says good sex can’t set you free?


Salem placed a hand over her pounding heart. She couldn’t catch a full breath in the wake of her last powerful orgasm.

She realized how sweaty she was, and hoped her sticky body bore a sensual perspiration glow as opposed to locker room stink. Not that Kane any better off than she. He’d gone south of her belly button and stayed there for quite awhile. A walkabout between her legs, so to speak. He seemed to have collapsed after getting her off for the third time.

She reached her other hand out to touch his soft, wavy blonde hair as it cascaded over her naked thighs. His breathing told her that he, too, was exhausted.

Pinioned under his weight and tangled in a confused mess of jeans and undergarments, she figured until she could catch her breath, she’d just stay where she was. On the floor of her shop. With the front door unlocked and within view of the windows. If someone walked in or glanced in the window in passing, so be it. The only folks who came into her shop were open-minded sorts, any way. Puritans certainly didn’t whip out the plastic at a place like hers.

Salem felt fairly certain she couldn’t walk, much less rise from the floor at this point, any way. She managed an exhausted, ‘wow,’ which was met by a single-word reply from her new friend.

“More,” he uttered. He slid his hands in-between her legs.

“Oh, no. No more. I can’t,” she begged. “Kane, no more.”

Kane chuckled, the sound rising low and teasing from his throat. He slid two fingers into Salem’s swollen, wet vagina. “I need you,” he whispered.

“Can we, at least, get off the floor?” Salem asked, squirming as Kane inserted a third thick finger.

“The floor is nice,” he replied. “You on the floor is nicer.”

Salem wasn’t sure she could muster the energy to command Kane to stop diddling her clit long enough for her lock the shop and move their party somewhere else.

How many orgasms could she have before noon? Salem knew she was about to head face-first into another hurricane as Kane reached into the open display case and withdrew the ancient whalebone dildo.

“Exquisite,” he whispered.

“Nordic craftsmanship,” Salem replied. “Very rare. And very old.”

“I’m not talking about the tool. You are the true treasure of this shop.”

***Kane is the hero. He has a dark half/evil twin who wants Kane dead. Kane and his brother (name not developed) are spirtious Berserkers who died in Iceland at "Berserkurhraun" -- the Bersker's Lave Field -- a thousand years ago. The oldest known dildo is made of whale bone and was found in Iceland. Gotta love that, huh! There's a great legend from the Berserkurhraun area in Iceland, which I'm using...***

Got title ideas?

24 Comments:

Blogger Kayleigh Jamison said...

How about "Raising Kane"?

*giggles*

Ok, no, let me think of something serious and I'll get back to you.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Darragha! said...

Ah...actually, "Raising Kane" is a damned good thought....

I knew I needed to ask you all for help!

10:54 AM  
Blogger Darragha! said...

"Raising Kane" shows up a few times on Amazon.com.

I'm thinking "Raising Kane in Salem" might be fun :)

Keep them coming! I'm excited!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

How about Relics of Sensuality?

11:10 AM  
Blogger LISA WILLIAMS said...

Here are a few suggestions:
Witch's Berserker or
Berserker's Witch
Boning Salem

11:37 AM  
Blogger Faith Bicknell said...

Well, I'll have to point out that Freya's Bower.com has a Goddess Freya Series that has launched with Zinnia Hope's novella due out the end of June if doing erotic material involving Freya and mythology interests you.

As for titles, how about SALEM'S BONE, BONE PLEASURES, ANCIENT PLEASURES, RIDING THE BONE (lol, sorry, couldn't resist that one!), BONE MAGIC, SALEM'S RELEASE...

11:40 AM  
Blogger Darragha! said...

I am a total Norse Mythology-ophile. I even taught grade fivers about Viking Explorations and Norse Mythology for 10 years.

Freyja is a great character. She's a fertility goddess and has been referred to as the goddess of love and war (for many reason)--the goddess of divorce!

More! More!

Darragha :)

11:53 AM  
Blogger Skyler Grey said...

How about "Dark Secrets to a Legend Unlocked"? Or, "The Secret Legend of Two Faces"?

Although "Raising Kane" is really catchy.. lol

I'll keep thinking for ya too.
;)
Skyler

11:55 AM  
Blogger Bonnie Dee said...

Okay, now you've got me thinking 'dildo' and grinning. Dildo, dildo, dildo! What a funny word!
How about "Dildo of Death" lol?

11:58 AM  
Blogger Darragha! said...

Bonnie, I'm not going to submit a story called "Dildo of Death." I'm not! And you can't make me!

Darragha :)

11:59 AM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

After reading that excerpt, the only thing I've got is "Diddling the Clit."

12:09 PM  
Blogger Darragha! said...

She paused as she unwrapped the soft butter colored piece of antique erotica. “He got it. He got the Viking’s Member for me!” She looked at her watch. It was way too early in the morning in Amsterdam to phone her connection with a few words of praise. “Oh, my.” Long, hard and decorated with scrimshaw depicting scenes from Norse mythology—scenes of love between the gods—both male and female—it was by far the most intricate piece in her collection. “Dare I sell this?” she questioned herself. “How could I sell this?”

The bell on her door chimed. She carefully set the whalebone piece back in its packing materials and dashed to the storefront. “Hi, can I help you?”

She glanced at her pet rats. Calm. Sleeping. That means the rather stately looking white-blonde woman before her was human. And by the looks of the rock on her ring finger—wealthy.

“Santeria supplies?” the woman asked.

“Yes, of course. May I show you?” Salem replied.

“I need sal negre,” the customer continued. “Bad neighbor. He really needs to go away.”

“I carry sal negre. Black salt. I have it.”

“I need dove’s blood and a quill, as well.”

“I’m sorry, I don’t carry real dove’s blood. Only a purified protein compound. Will that do?”

“City regulation?” the customer asked.

Salem nodded. Dove’s blood ink technically fell under the umbrella of religious goods, but she’d chosen not to carry any products produced by the slaying of animals. Her quills were farmed and plucked from happy geese.

“Let me show you,” Salem offered, leading the customer to her mini-botanica section of Santeria candles, spells and other ritual supplies. Not the best selling items in the store—though occasionally she’d have a very good day, voo-doo-wise.

“Sal negre. Good. Good. Is this the largest size you carry?” the woman asked.

“I have a large container in the back. How bad of neighbor do you have? A little sal negre combined with the right spell should be enough to send even a demon packing.”

The woman looked sharply at Salem. “I’ve separated from my husband and he will not move out of our townhouse. He’s making it impossible for me to carry on…well, let’s say he’s making things difficult. And it’s not because he wants or needs the house or me. He’s just being stubborn. I’ll take as much black salt as you have.”

“I have five pounds. That should dispel even the most vile of future ex-husbands,” Salem replied.

“I have the spell. Will you look at it for me?”

Salem felt her stomach tighten. She didn’t want to be asked to perform the ritual. It had happened before and after one mistake—she was never doing someone else’s magic again. “I’m not an expert in Santeria, ma’am. I only know what I’ve read and heard from my suppliers.”

The woman scoffed and unfolded a piece of paper she’d been carrying. “I wash the stoop with sal negre waters. I wash a piece of his clothing in the same liquid. I record our marriage vows in reverse order on a parchment using dove’s blood with a quill, then burn the paper.”

“That should do it. He’ll become uncomfortable and wish to leave. Once he does, his life will again return to normal—save that it will be in a new place far away from you,” Salem concluded. “I think it’s a good ritual.”

“I’ll take two quills and the salt,” the woman replied in a rather commanding manner that told Salem it was “check-out” time.

“I’ll be right back with the salt. Go ahead and bring your quills to the counter. No ink?” Salem asked.

The woman shook her head. “I’ll stop at the park on the way home.”

Salem didn’t ask any further questions.

***

“A body? In the alley? A dead body?” Salem asked.

“You phone now, yes? And, Bubee…start locking your door.”

“Christ. Yes, I’ll phone. Right now,” Salem replied reaching for her telephone. She dialed 9-1-1.

She didn’t wait for the operator to finish her “what is the nature of your emergency” standard response. “Hi. There’s a woman, dead in the alley behind my store. Behind Misha’s Deli and Salem’s Fine Collection of Sins. Sixty Seven Hundred Crowley Way. Downtown. No, I don’t know who she is. I haven’t looked. Misha found her. He’s with the body now. No, he won’t touch anything. Yes, thank you. Please hurry.” Please hurry? She’s dead. She ain’t going anywhere. Salem paused, realizing the absurdity of her comment. “Me? I’m Salem Grier. I live above my shop. And Misha Polikronikis found her. He owns the deli. Thank you.”

She hung up the phone and slipped on her clogs. The metal handrails of the fire escape were covered in morning dew. A heavy chill still clung to the darkness of pre-dawn.

Misha had found his keys. She also heard the soft waling of the Mourner’s Kaddish emanating from her friend. Yeetgadal v' yeetkadash sh'mey rabbah…

“Did you know her, Misha?” Salem asked.

He nodded. “She bought a cup of coffee from me today. And struck up a conversation with a man who ordered warm milk. He looked like warm milk. What man drinks warm milk?”

“Blonde man?” Salem asked.

“Like a banana he was blonde,” Misha replied.

Salem sucked in her breath. “She came into my shop today. She bought black salt. Said she had to get rid of a bad neighbor. A blonde man showed up after closing. He kind of gave me the creeps.”

“You think he’s the one who did her in?” Misha asked. “Do you see how he did it? Look at her throat. Those marks—someone strangled her.”

“Does she have something sticking out of her ear?” Salem asked squinting to make out the object without having to get too close.

“It’s a quill. Drilled it into her brain.”

Salem turned and vomited.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Meljprincess said...

ODDS AND ENDS
SALEM'S CURIOSITIES
KANE IS ABLE
GOING BERSERK!
A RARE PLEASURE

1:34 PM  
Blogger Darragha! said...

Enabling Kane

Boned in the City

3:04 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Hart said...

All I can think about is 'You can take Salem out of the country but ... you can't take the country out of Salem" (Showing my age, aren't I?!)

Nessie

4:40 PM  
Blogger Darragha! said...

The internet bailed on me today at *le day job* so I had Mike and Tina post the second excerpt for me.

Stay tuned. I'm going to decide to tonight on a title, so keep frosty and keep posting!

Thank you!

Darragha

7:33 PM  
Blogger Pamk said...

Berserker's Bone
The Viking's Member
Salem's Legend
Okay I am out of ideas Hope these help

7:49 PM  
Blogger jennyowl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:25 PM  
Blogger jennyowl said...

Bonedeep Passions
Bonedeep Desires
Bonedeep Seduction

9:26 PM  
Blogger jennyowl said...

Bonedeep Pleasures
Pleasure Bone
Bonetiful Pleasures
Bonetiful Passion
Bonetiful Desires
Bonetiful Play
Bone of Rapture
Bone of Ecstasy
Bone of Seduction
Pleasuring Salem

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about SALEM'S KANE?

1:05 AM  
Blogger LadyVampire2u said...

Love the Excerpt!! And I like the titles suggested so far but thought I would try to come up with a few myself. So for better or worse, here are my suggestions:

Lust and Legend Carved in Ivory.
Salem’s Enchantment
Scrimshaw, Spells and Seduction
Charmingly Carved and Crafted
A Timeless Enticement
The Lure of Kane
Casting About For Kane
Spell-Crafted For Pleasure
The Virile Viking Visitor
Salem Tickles the Ivory
Enticing Ivory
Enchanted Ivory
Salem Spells Seduction
In-Viking the Right Spell
Passion Carved Deep
Kane Leaves His Mark

~April

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This story looks like a lot of fun *snicker* How about:

The Viking’s Member
Salem's Sexy Sin
Salem's Deadly Sin

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Deadly Quill

Salem's Sin

Kane and Salem

2:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders