Monday, April 17, 2006

The Unheroic Hero

SEx ... Silver Expressions
I was thinking last night about some of the things that a hero could do that takes away from his "heroic" status. I've come up with a few, but I invite you to add your own suggestions. Personally, the following would be enough to make me hate a hero:
1. Farting -- yeah, I know it's part of nature, but it's one of those things you don't want to think about
2. Picking his nose -- unless he's two, it isn't cute
3. Scratching his privates -- again, something that should be done in private or is better not printed
4. Stinky feet -- one of those things you'd simply rather not know
5. Unable to get it up, especially for the heroine. I know this is one of those things that many men deal with, but a writer can handle it creatively to make him still seem like a hero despite the little problem.
6. Pooping or peeing -- I think this ranks right up there with farting.
7. Whining. Everyone has a right to his own feelings, but nobody likes a whiner. However, I know I'm guilty of this offense from time-to-time.
8. Sexual Harrassment. Sexual tension is something that needs to be woven correctly. While a good story often involves the hero making unwanted sexual advances, it shouldn't be to the point that the heroine feels threatened by them.
9. A hairy back -- again, I know many men have hair on their backs. And yes, some women aren't bothered by it. However, if you can braid it, perhaps it's better not mentioned.
10. Bigger breasts than the heroine -- in the real world, this is probably common. However, in a romance novel, you want to be able to escape into a fantasy world.

Now, what do you find unheroic?
Erin Katz

6 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Y. said...

LOL! Those are great!

8:32 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Y. said...

I agree with Kim...that and spitting and any kind of bad B.O.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Krissy said...

Snoring...she says as DH saws logs...Ugh! It's okay in real life but not for books...

11:53 PM  
Blogger Amie Stuart said...

Tami I'm howling at Old Spice! OMG!

9:28 AM  
Blogger Erin Katz said...

I hadn't thought about B.O. or bad breath. Considering annoying smells are my pet peeve, I should have. LOL!

8:39 PM  
Blogger Christy Gissendaner said...

ROFL! Actually peeing doesn't bother me. If he does it near me, I might get to take a peek. Of course, I'm a bit weird so go figure.

Robin

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders