Sunday, April 23, 2006

Late-Nite Randomness

So here I am, just finished watching four episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion and thinking, "what can I possibly blog about that's sexy after having watched cartoons of alien angels battling giant robots piloted by teenagers over Tokyo 3? And then it hit me--duh! It must be time to bring on the bishies!

Bishounen is a term found in anime and manga (the Japanese style cartoons and comics) that means "beautiful boy" and is an artistic style that renders male characters more pretty than handsome. Now I first got turned on to the style waaay back in college, when anime, aka "Japanimation" first made its way into indie video rental stores on college campuses (because everybody else thought "cartoons=kidstuff" period), and our group consisted of SF/Fantasy fans who regularly watched "Akira" for the whole gangfight-through-neo-Tokyo fun. Somebody brought over a video of "Vampire Hunter D" and I got absolutely sucked into the story, the lush drama of a classic vampire tale complete with lovely heroine and tortured, accursed hero.

But what really struck me was the way the characters were drawn. Everyone had such delicate lines, including the men. It was much different from the Disney-style animation, or the regular Saturday-morning cartoons prevalent in North American comics. Men with long, silvery hair and high cheekbones, or dark spiky hair and compelling eyes...and a storyline that had a romantic bent. Win!

I went on to be a regular watcher of all sorts of anime through the years. Anime-watching via video rental is spotty at best, because unless you know where to look and what to look for, you can end up with some really random videos that the store only ordered because the cover looked neat, never mind that it's episodes 7-13 of a series where none of the other episodes can be found. >_<

Of course, nowadays, not only is there a thriving anime section in most video stores (one thing I grudgingly have to thank Pokemon for), but manga can be found in bookstores, too. So my eye candy may be a bit different, but I hope the bishy's no less dishy! I say good evening now, and leave you with a bishy-baddie by the name of Vicious, from "Cowboy Bebop."

3 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Y. said...

I have never really watched or read any anime stuff before.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love watching anime on Adult Swim on the Cartoon Network. I like the dark nature of the stories and the bishounen. I've noticed that the women are strong too, whether they're human with or without powers or aliens. I like Fullmetal Alchemist, Inu Yasha, Scr-y-ed, Cowboy Bebop and Escaflowne.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

What, no Spike?!

I like anime, although I don't watch it alot. But Netflix is great for anime. Tons of selections.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders