Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Coyote Xandra

Wow. I'm all psyched about my first Morning After blog. Because in the Blogosphere, you don't wake up hung over, with bad breath, and trying to determine if you'll need to chew your arm off to sneak away without--

Okay, never mind that. :D This morning, I thought I'd blog a bit about one of the themes I love to write about, and one that's eminently suited to erotic romance.

One of my relatives, who does not write, asked me what my book was about. Because she isn't in the industry and doesn't watch the trends in romance, I felt kind of at a loss as to how to describe what I write to someone who wouldn't recognize the industry buzzwords. Now, everyone talks about having that "high-concept pitch" of 25 words or less. Some people practice it, hone it, and sharpen it until it's worthy of being printed on the back of a business card and handed out at RWA conventions.

I blurted mine out before my brain could engage. "Wild monkey sex with hot lizard men," I said.

I immediately wanted to take it back. To suck in a huge breath and take those words back, because in spite of being absolutely true--my heroine does have wild monkey sex with hot lizard men--it's so much more than that.

Which brings us around to my theme. Rayne, my heroine, pushes the boundaries of her courage and her comfort when she stops thinking about her career and starts thinking about herself as a woman--and what she needs as a woman (and don't we all put ourselves second waaay too often?). She takes her initiative through a secret exchange of technology with her alien counterpart--a female who understands the priorities one should put on making oneself happy. ;)

So here's the question to ponder this lovely, sunny morning (for me, anyway) - what's your limit? What's on the edge of your envelope to push? Give me one thing you've always thought about, never tried, but would if you had the chance, and you'll be entered to win an indulgent little body treat!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Xandra! LOVE your website by the way--what great artwork! and your excerpts are outstanding.

I'd say my envelope would be considered pushed if I actually wrote the paranormal erotica I've been thinking of writing. I don't think I can top fabulous sex with hot lizard men... but you gotta start somewhere, right?? :)

Have a wonderful day!

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since having children, I let myself get pidgeon holed in the category of pragmatic. Sadly, that has largely been where I have stayed.

If I were to push my current envelope, I would arrange for the kids to be cared for over the weekend. Then I would kidnap my husband and whisk him away to a hedonistic retreat where I could release my inner hoyden. Some people might say that I am dreaming small, but I would be happy to begin with making this scenario a reality.

Little Lamb Lost

11:25 AM  
Blogger Meljprincess said...

One thing you've always thought about, never tried, but would if you had the chance....

Playing my clarinet on a sidewalk for money

An Orgy

Packing my crap in a duffle bag and traveling all over the country. Europe too!

I know that's more than one thing but I couldn't resist.

4:15 PM  
Blogger robynl said...

Pushing my envelope would be to: get into acting again in small plays like I did years ago when I was in 4H and was pretty good at it even though I have stage fright.

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders