Friday, March 24, 2006

SEx ... Silver Expressions

SEx ... Silver Expressions

So, once again it is my day to post and I’m up till all hours trying to figure out what to talk about. Sitting here drinking JD and munching on a Chocolate Chip Muffin.

Actually I’m awake cause this is the only time of day I can do anything without having a growth (read: 2 month old) attached to my nipple. While there are indeed many benefits to breastfeeding that do, indeed, outweigh the drawbacks, those drawbacks can be killer. Don’t let anyone ever tell you that it’s more convenient, doesn’t affect your sex-drive and is cheaper. In my case that couldn’t be further from the truth. My grocery bill has gone through the roof! I’m one of those people everyone else loves to hate, I have the gods-awful habit of forgetting to eat and when I do it’s usually more like snacking than actually eating.

Yeah, yeah, I know, most of you reading this are probably gasping in disbelief, thinking to yourself “How can anybody possibly forget to EAT?!” Honestly, it’s not that hard when you’ve got a million and one things going on. Your tummy rumbles or grumbles, you start to feel hungry and think to yourself, Ok as soon as I finish this I’ll grab something. So you grab a couple of crackers to hold you over till you finish whatever it was you wanted to finish but by the time you finally do finish you forgot that you were gonna eat something. You remember only when you start getting a headache or lightheaded from lack of food or someone else puts something in front of you. Honestly, there have been days where I was writing and my DH puts food within reach just to make sure I eat. And I do eat the grilled cheese sandwich or piece of fruit he puts out for me, generally not even realizing I did so.

OK, so on to what I was actually wanting to blog about today: Reviews.

I am honestly really happy with the reviews I’ve been getting for ‘The Naughty Dagger’ and I’m truly grateful that people seem to like it (I just got an email saying I got FIVE CUPS at Coffee Time Romance Reviews, Yeah Me!). BUT are they really necessary? Don’t get me wrong they seem to be good for promotional purposes, being able to say I got this and this at so and so site is good to add on to my webpage but how many readers actually read the full review or if they do read it actually give a damn? After all a review is just one persons opinion and unless you’ve read other books that have been reviewed by the reviewer of the book your looking at and just happen to agree with the reviews, why on earth would their opinion matter?

Before I became a published author I’d never once visited a review site. I’d look up my favorite authors, see if they’d come out with anything new, read the back and if it sounded interesting, I’d buy it. If none of my favs had anything new I’d go to the bookstore and browse. I didn’t (and still don’t) care what reviewers have to say about books or movies. If I think it sounds interesting I’ll watch the movie or read the book. Actually buying the Novel based on the Screenplay has saved me a lot of money in the past. For example, I saw the previews for Ultraviolet on TV and thought it sounded like a really cool movie. Not having the time (or money) to go to the theater to see it I bought the book. I didn’t particularly like it so instead of going to see it I’ll wait till they show it on TV. So what about you? Do you actually care what other people think? I’ve heard rave reviews about the new King Kong movie, but I still won’t go to see it. I saw the original and absolutely hated the ending. Having them remake it doesn’t make me want to see it no matter how much better it’s supposed to be. They’ve been remaking a lot of old movies that were horrible the first time round (my parents had the first version of “The Hills have Eyes” on video and I still have nightmares about that sometimes) and are getting ‘great’ reviews now. They sucked the first time round and different actors aren’t going to make the plot any better or the endings more palatable, so what do I care what reviewers say? Honestly, I don’t. In general while I am deeply gratified that the people that took the time to review my book enjoyed it and gave it good ratings those ratings are still based on one simple truth: It’s just an opinion and as the saying goes, just like anal cavities, everyone has their own.

Enough now of my tipsy ramblings (hey, she’s sleeping from 1 AM to 6 AM now so by the next feeding the alcohol will no longer be in my system). It’s time for me to sign off for now, though I’ll be checking back throughout the day to see what you guys have to say (I welcome comments about any part of my ramble not just the reviews part) and to keep telling you what I think. Once again I’ll be giving away a copy of my book but this time there are two conditions attached…

1) To enter to win it, when you post a comment you have to start it out with “I’m In”

2) You have to promise to email me when you finish reading it and let me know what you think. While as a reader I don’t care about what other people think as an author I really really wanna know. Let me know even if you hate it, as long as your honest you wont hurt my feelings (hell I’m a stripper, I’ve got to have a thick skin!)

Thanks for reading my rant, later :)

5 Comments:

Blogger jennyowl said...

I'm In.

5:59 AM  
Blogger Meljprincess said...

"I'm in" the mood for love...simply because you're near me..."

Share the JD and chocolate chip muffin? *g*

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1)"I'm in" a bit of a tough spot. I do see what you mean about reviews merely being the one person's (reviewer's) opinion. My decisions regarding the purchase of books generally hinge on whether I like an excerpt from it. If that doesn't decide me, then looking up a few reviews to see the general consensus can help. It is unlikely that many reviewers would all be wrong. My book budget is not as large as I would wish, so I want to make an informed decision.

2)If I were to win the book, I do promise I would let you know my opinion after I read it. It is a fair thing to ask.

I am a grazer myself. If I am on my own, I don't tend to sit for particularly large meals, just snack on fruit, cheese, and crackers throughout the day.

Little Lamb Lost

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, sorry...the start of my above comment should have been

1) I'm In

Little Lamb Lost

11:43 AM  
Blogger Darragha! said...

I'm in trouble.

Are you really a stripper? God...you must be in great shape!

What's JD?
I know what a muffin is.

I'm in it really deep, too.

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders