Thursday, March 23, 2006

Good Morning from BA and her dogs!

It's suddenly and unexpectedly cold in my little corner of Texas, so I'm curled up with the dogs and a pot of coffee and thinking seriously about breaking out the Irish whiskey from the freezer.

I have four pups: Gomer, Fog, Leadfoot, and Rudolph. Gomer is a cocker spaniel mix with more enthusiasm than brains. I found him in a pasture about six years ago while I was hunting a good spot to dip my hook (fishing, now... get your minds out of the gutter). He was a wee pup and I imagine his momma got picked up by some coyotes. He was so glad to see somebody and has been biting my ankles ever since.

Fog and Leadfoot are pit bulls mixes from the same litter. I found a man in a parking lot trying to sell these sweet babies as fighting dogs. I threatened to call the cops, he threatened to drown the puppies. I went home with more dogs. Fog is sweet and easy-going, one ear flops down, one ear sticks straight up. She loves the world (and biscuits and bacon and sleeping and tummy scritches and swimming in the lake...)

Leadfoot? Oh, lord... He is. Well. Uh. Not easy-going.

Nope.

Not.

Leadfoot is my dog that was born on a mission. He doesn't know what that mission *is*, understand, but whatever it is, Lead's *on* it.

Rudy appeared on Christmas day last year - I opened the front door and there he was. "Hey. Merry Christmas. Hi. I don't suppose you're the sap we've been hearing about on the street? If so? I'm one hell of a dog..." He's a mutt, probably about five years old. He's a little scraggly, a little curious. Only has one eye and he doesn't have a tail anymore, but his butt wags. About the size of a small moose...

*grins*

I'm sort of known for the dogs that appear throughout my stories - in All that Glitters, Chastity has Chachi, the pomeranian that's almost more of a diva than the Diva herself. And Josh? Well, he has Mokey, a Rottie pup. One of my favorite scenes to write in the novel was Josh frying up bacon and trying to figure out how little Chachi could bounce so high to try and steal a piece.

Tell me about the dogs in your life? Or, heck, I'm easy. How about the cats? Goldfish? Hamsters? Horses? Pet rocks? There's nothing I love more than learning about the animals that make our lives special.

One random poster will get a download of All that Glitters, so you can meet Josh and Chas and Mokey and Chachi.

10 Comments:

Blogger Meljprincess said...

I am owned by a chocolate, male, applehead, Siamese named, Damian. He can say "Mamma" and "Hello". He's owned me for some 16 years now and I don't know what I'd do without him. He's the love of my life. He's a fantastic guard cat and a wonderful judge of character. Especially when it comes to men. =^.^=

11:43 AM  
Blogger ladycat713 said...

I have two cats and a dog. Well technically the dog is my mothers and one of the cats is the dog's cat. The oldest cat is named Psychokitty. She's very cranky and stubborn and doesn not like perky little puppies trying to play with her.

The dog is a 3 month old puppy named Trouble.My mother decided to get a puppy as a guard dog because of the neighbors. Even though we've never had a puyppy and have no backyard and no idea how to train one. Any suggestions on trining my mother sabotaged because she's more than a little nuts. And even though it's her dog she won't let it in, out or clean up after it. It sleeps in my room sometimes but never in hers.

The last cat is a stray Kitten named Spot. He's black and white with a big spot on the side . He's the puppy's playmate. They play rough sometimes and the puppy has little scabs on her ears because of it. He occassionally runs out the door but he never goes far because he just wants to be chased. Everytime he does theis the puppy is worried about him.

I have a feeling if I can get a job and move I'm going to have to take all of them since my mother only wants to move to places that don't allow pets.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Y. said...

We have about 15 stray cats around our house. They are not very friendly...except for one...We call that one Hoover. She got her name because everytime she comes in the house, she searches the kitchen floor and cleans it up.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Bonnie Dee said...

Loved your stray doggie stories.
We have two dogs, three cats. A big Lab/Doberman mix girlie girl named Eliza and a tough, bossy Yorkie weighing in at 3 1/2 pounds, Buttons.
Cat with the most eccentric personality: Jimmy. Cat with the softest, most beautiful coat: Leo.
Most playful: Loki.
It's fun having a busy household of pets and people.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Christy Gissendaner said...

Ooh...exactly my sort of topic. Here's the rundown of my baby dogs...Oreo, Biscuit, Grits, Oatmeal, Girly, April, Munkin, Hoya, Lucky, Kirby, and Katie Bug.

Right now, I only have dogs and horses. But when I was in college, we had a tarantula, birds, rabbits, hamsters, goldfish, and snakes.

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All my cats have shown up in my life too. When I moved to a house near a big field, I ended up with so many strays knocking on my door, more than I could adopt, that I started foisting them off on my (fortunately animal-loving)neighbors and tenants!

2:39 PM  
Blogger Cindy A. Matthews said...

We are currently a "cat family" but I do miss our dog, Blackie. Part Chow... part Heinz 57. She may not have been the brightest bulb in the lamp, but she was the most loyal canine companion ever.

I miss her still today! *sob!*

5:06 PM  
Blogger Christy Gissendaner said...

Part Heinz 57, Celine? LOL. Sounds like a wonderful dog.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have two dogs. One is a yorkie. Her name is Abby. The other one we just got not too long ago. He is a Lhasa Apso. His names is Sam. We have a lot of stray cats in our yard. There is one that weighs about 15 pounds. I think he visits everyone in the neighborhood.

5:37 PM  
Blogger jennyowl said...

My grandmother used to keep a mynah bird in her toilet. It's quite intelligent and it picked up our habit of calling her grandma. It's one of the things I look forward to whenever I visit my grandmother.

One day, my grandmother slipped in the toilet and passed away while nobody else was home. It was the sole witness and kept cawing her name afterward, it was quite a heartbreaking thing for us all.

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders