Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Post-Holiday Blues


Nice title huh? Well, that's what I'm feelin' a little bit. I live in perpetually sunny Arizona and this time of year is a little weird, being originally from Missouri. There's no snow. There's no ice, except for my Iced Tea. There's no snowmen, no carolers, no blustery, wintry days. The weather itself is always funky the end of the year. The first two weeks of December are cold. Now, don't scream and yell and threaten my life or anything, for Arizonians, it is COLD. So every year I think, "This is the year it's actually going to be cold on Christmas, I will be able to have hot chocolate, wear my scarf, and snuggle under blankets." But lo and behold, every stinkin' year, Christmas is freakin' 75 degrees.

So what comes with 75 degree weather after 45 degree weather? COLDs. Yep! AZ has had record flu numbers this year, I think 400+ reported the week of Christmas alone! So, on top of all the craziness of the holiday (for me 2 bdays and 4 days of Christmas in that ONE week alone!) I got a cold. But that's only part of my blues.

The other part is this. I love my hubby. We've been together 13 years and married for 10 of those, but pretty much the only time I get gifts (read not flowers/card) is Christmas. So I have to wait another 11 months for a present! No matter how many times I've expressed to him the importance of "thinking" ahead a time vs. coming home from work w/ a card and flowers, (He's a grocery store manager, so he doesn't even have to actually GO somewhere for those!) it's still just Christmas I get gifts.

Now, I know, I sound like a selfish, whiney *itch. But I'm not, really, I'm not. It's just that this year, at Christmas, he won the present "game" and so he thinks (of course, subconsciously) that he's good and clear until Dec 25, 2006.

Last year I won. Again, I'm the only one that plays the game but still, as long as I'm playing right? Anyway, I went out on a HUGE limb and bought him a 52" Widescreen DLP Mitsubishi TV for Christmas. For those of you who don't know what the heck that is (I know because I listened to him pine after it forever!) it's pretty much a MASSIVE TV. He made a big stink about me not needing to get him anything for the next 10 years! 10 YEARS! Imagine that?! I wouldn't have to worry about the game until I was 43! Yeah. Right.

So this year, I went small, but still got him something. 2 Sudoku books for his stocking. (he's hating me for those! ;) ) Some clothes and a $50 GC to a paintball facility. What, you ask, did he get me?

New pots and pans ~ from the boys. And 10 Weeks with a personal trainer at our gym.

Who do you think won?

Not only did he win, he gave a gift that keeps on giving! For 10 weeks and beyond! I'm gonna be working my little heiny off to prove to him that by the time Christmas rolls around, the only thing he'll want to unwrap will be ME!

Who do you think will win Dec 25, 2006?

What did you get? Will it last all year? A few years? A lifetime?
Do you have a gift giver? Or a once a year-er?

I gotta work crazy early in the am (yikes! only 5 hrs sleep!) but I'll come back around noon my time and post again. Something spicy and yummy to look at and that post will have a prize! So tell me about your holiday blues then I'll find something to perk us all up later!

Paige
www.paigeburns.com

10 Comments:

Blogger Meljprincess said...

I got a membership to the Y and a trip to Vegas for Christmas. The memories will last a lifetime. *weg*

My lips are sealed....

10:39 AM  
Blogger Meljprincess said...

Forgot to say I feel blue, though. I want to go back...now!

I've decided that this year I'm going to do more traveling. And, get more tattoos. *G*

10:42 AM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

In my family we draw names and have a dollar limit that's very low, so it's hard to say who the winner is. I don't have a SO at the moment, darn it.

I will say that I, too, live in Arizona (in the southern portion of the state), and I do NOT miss not wearing sweaters and scarves and drinking hot chocolate. It still gets cold at night, so snuggling under blankets (or in my case a very heavy comforter) happens every night, especially since I keep my thermostat set low. What can I say? I tend to run on the hot side.

Now, if I could only get a guy to figure that out... :)

11:35 AM  
Blogger Darragha! said...

I live in the land of rain (Pacific Northwest). Snow is rare. Rain is the norm.

We're Buddhist--but still exchange holiday gifts with friends and family. My husband got me a Black Hills gold "leaf" pin and matching earrings. And a slow cooker cookbook. He walked into my office with the cookbook open to a "Brandied Ginger Apples" recipe and said, "You making these?" He's funny. I made them. :)

I've had TWO GLORIOUS WEEKS OFF OF WORK, for Winter Break...but tomorrow I must return to le day job.

11:56 AM  
Blogger robynl said...

Got hubby a Sudoku book also for the stocking stuffer. We gave each other a treadmill(each paid half); hehehe.
But then he gave me a CD player for the kitchen(we weren't going to buy anything expensive after the treadmill
but just give small gifts. Go figure!
He is mostly a Christmas giver.

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My hubby of 30 years bought me an eBookwise Reader for Christmas. I was really surprised because usually he is not a big gift giver for what I call "special" occasions. I bought something small for him to open Christmas Eve because I had ordered an expensive wood-working machine that he wanted earlier in the month, but he saw it when UPS delivered it, so of course he had to open it and use it right away! :) He was really happy! Next year I think I will do what he did - have the present mailed to a friend's house instead of our house and pick it up when no one is around. Then it will be a big surprise!

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryan always wins, Paige. Don't you know that by now? Aaron always wins too. I've pretty much given up. Maybe next year I will suprise him with tickets to a Boston Red Sox game in Boston, or something like that. As far as missing the cold, I do too. It is too damn hot here in AZ. It is suppose to be hot in the summer, not Christmas Day.
Your loving sister, Tesha

5:45 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Hart said...

Paige, my hubby and I got ourselves broadband for Christmas. Yippee! No more dial-up internet connection.

We usually do this at holiday time, buy ourselves a major gift. We use birthdays for the personal surprises.

Nessie

8:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was really hoping for a White Christmas this year. We have had some snow flurries but not a lot.

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My hubby gets his present after Christmas when he can use it -- a GPS device for the golf course -- called Sky Caddy. So, he wins -- when he gets it. LOL

Rae Morgan

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders