Thursday, December 08, 2005

The saga of the car...

Four years ago my dad bought me a Chevy Corsica at a police auction for $4000. It had about 80,000 miles on it, but it was a good, reliable car. It got me everywhere I needed to be. I was very happy with it, until last Wednesday when it began to shudder and shake on my way to a tutoring assignment (you know, the good job that doesn't take away from my writing time). So I took it to the mechanics (missing my tutoring appointment in the meantime) and it sat there for three days before I heard the verdict. $1000 in parts and labor.

Ouch.

Considering that I already sunk 2000 into fixing that car over the past 2 years, I figured it was time for a new vehicle. A very reliable vehicle, because my students can be anywhere from 10 to 40 miles away. So I bought a 2000 Honda Accord, crying and shaking the entire time because I could NOT afford a 2000 Honda Accord. That was last Saturday. On Monday, I started looking for a job. I sent out a bunch of resumes and signed up with 4 temp agencies. On Wednesday, I had 4 phone calls for interviews and one call from the agency offering me ajob starting today.

It's data entry. Couldn't be easier. The pay is good. The hours are decent. I'll be able to get overtime. And it won't impose on my tutoring job, which I committed to for the entire school year.

I also got my insurance today. Here's a list of things I've never done:

1) Bought my own car all by myself without my dad's help.
2) Got myown insurance all by myself without my mom's help
3) Landed and started a full-time 8-hour-day adult job.

It's been a wild week. That's for sure. I don't know how it'll affect my writing. Other than nights I have to tutor (like tonight) I should be home with plenty of time to write three, even four hours before bedtime. And my job isn't exhausting and soul crushing, so that's a bonus.

I've been married for five years now. Living with my husband for the past 5 years. Put myself through college. Never, ever asked my parents for anything. This is the first time I've felt like a real adult.

Meanwhile, it was twenty-five years ago today that the world lost one of the most talented musicians, and probably one of the greatest men, of the 20th century. I wasn't even alive when John Lennon was shot, and I still feel the loss. Though I must admit, when George Harrison died, I was devastated for about two years. (Ok, I'm still a bit devastated. Poor George).

So, dear readers, I pose three questions to you.
1) When was the first time you felt like an honest to god adult?
2) How do you juggle Real Life with writing?
3) Who were you more devastated about--John Lennon or George Harrison?

Also, I'll announce the winner of Naughty and Nice tonight when I return home from tutoring...around 10 PST. So if you haven't commented yet, you've still got a shot!

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

1) When was the first time you felt like an honest to god adult? the first time I got a loan

3) Who were you more devastated about--John Lennon or George Harrison? George Harrison

8:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Pepper,
Hi chickadee! The first time I felt like an adult was the summer that I graduated from nursing school. I got a job at a women's center, bought a new car, and got my own apartment. It felt so good to be making it on my own.

John Lennon would be the bigger loss for me. I was tiny when he died, so I did not know at the time. However, I have listened to The Beatles and his work as a solo artist now. He was very poetic.

As far as the car thing, I drive a Dodge Durango (SUV) now and love it. But in college, I drove a clunker. Once on the way to classes, the muffler came partially loose and was dragging the ground. I was almost there, so I just kept driving. I pulled in the parking area with the muffler dragging and making sparks on the asphalt lol. I had an exam, so it was justified lol!

Good luck with all of your firsts!

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pepper,
The first time I felt like an adult was when I got my first job and saved enough money for a down payment on a house.
I was 28 when John Lennon was murdered so I would say I was more devastated by the suddenness and shocking manner of his death. I was just 12 when I first fell in love with The Beatles, so I enjoyed John's songs for a long time before his death. I miss George too.

11:06 PM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

All these young uns who weren't alive when John Lennon died... oy. Makes me feel really old. I s'pose to some I am, but I'm only 40. ish. :)

When did I feel like an honest to god adult? Probably when I went off to college -- 600 miles away from friends and family. I had to rely only on myself to get myself through school, get around a new, unfamiliar town, etc. Jeez, no wonder I'm so tired.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Jaynie said...

The first time I felt like an adult was when my daughter was born and I realised I was now responsible for someone else in this world.

Real life and writing - hahahahahaha - nope haven't figured that one out yet, which is why I'm not published *snort*

I think the Beatles breaking up was more devastating than the 2 deaths. Of course murder is horrible so John's was probably worse in that sense.

2:02 AM  
Blogger Meljprincess said...

1) When was the first time you felt like an honest to god adult? When I lost my virginity.
2) How do you juggle Real Life with writing? Set aside a few mins. a day to write something.
3) Who were you more devastated about--John Lennon or George Harrison? John Lennon!

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) When was the first time you felt like an honest to god adult?

I'm an adult?! Oh damn.

2) How do you juggle Real Life with writing?

Juggle? I have no juggling skills much to the sadness of my coach when I was in rhythmic gymnastics. Sadly Real Life wins the battle within my head. All the damn time

3) Who were you more devastated about--John Lennon or George Harrison? I was 7 when John Lennon died but I still think that was a horrible thing that happened.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Amie Stuart said...

When I bought my first car last year--brand new seven miles. It doesnt' look so new now LOL

2. I have no freaking clue! Right now, I'm not LOL

3. I honestly don't remember/know. I think that was before my time or before i was old enough to pay attention as a kid to stuff like that. I think in hindsight it affects me more as an adult because I feel like I missed soemthing/someone really important.

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I became an adult when I got married and started robbing Peter to pay Paul otherwise known as paying the bills on work study job's pay.

I juggle real life and writing very badly. I used to be good at it, but that was then -- not sure where I got screwed up.

And I miss George the most. I always liked George the best -- I could listen to As My Guitar Gently Weeps endlessly.

Rae Morgan

3:38 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Hart said...

Nessie here, chiming in late as usual.
1) When was the first time you felt like an honest-to-God adult?
When I got married at 18 and moved into a crappy little one bedroom trailer (No, can't even call that one a mobile home. Mobile homes can be nice) because that's all we could afford. Ah, the harsh reality!

2) How do you juggle Real Life with writing?

Let me know as soon as you figure it out, OK?

3) Who were you more devastated about--John Lennon or George Harrison?

Definitely John Lennon. Don't get me wrong, John was my least favorite Beatle. George was my favorite. But George lived a fairly long and good life whereas John lost his in an act of senseless violence. He'd just turned 40 and, frankly, hadn't even matured yet. I suspect he would've produced better and better music later in life, but we'll never know. George DID produce better music. Loved everything of his from Crackerbox Palace to I've Got My Mind Set On You!

5:58 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Hart said...

Forgot to wish you luck with the 2000 Honda. I've had excellent luck with all of my autos, my favorite being my Mustang GT 5.0 5-speed. God, that car rocked. Still does, I suppose, but I sold it when I quit my job to write. Had to cut down on expenses. But I drove that baby off the lot brand new and, except for routine maintenance, it gave me zero trouble for nearly eight years. Can't say that about many cars, particularly a high performance model. Oh, and it got 27 mpg on the average, not bad for a V-8!

The only problems I had with that Mustang GT? I found out GT stands for Getting Tickets *LOL*

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders