Monday, December 26, 2005

Confessions of a bargain shopper

Good morning y’all! Beth Williamson here. *waves hi* Today I’m going to tell you a secret about me.
I can’t help it. I confess… I am a bargain shopper. Nothing will get me more motivated than 75% off something. It is such an enticement – like a male stripper coming to your door and dancing in front of you in a g-string with 75% off tattooed on his sculpted, bronzed chest. As he shakes his booty and shows you his delickable package, you are mesmerized. Yes, yes, yes! Give me 75% off!!!!

Wait, where was I? Oh, yeah, sorry. *blush* Ahem, bargain shopping. It’s so funny how some people aren’t enticed by bargains. Some friends of mine (and my sister) don’t (or won’t) shop around. They buy what they want, when they want it regardless of the price. To me that’s like taking your money and using it in the bathroom for paper.
Anyhoo, I don’t just buy junk, or whatever is cheapest. I look for brands I like to be on sale, or even better, on clearance. Oh, my, oh, my. One of my favorite words in the English language. Let me spell it for you… C L E A R A N C E. Yeah, baby, that’s right! I buy my next year’s clothes at the end of this year’s season. Pay $75.00 for a bathing suit? As if, try $7.50 on clearance. Or $180 for a winter coat? Hah! $27.00 people. I never (and I truly mean that) pay full price for wrapping paper.
I know for some people it’s the hunt that they don’t like. Let’s face it, if all the stuff was good they put out at 75% off, it would only last 10 minutes. You have to look for it. Ah, the excitement when I find five full racks of clearance clothes. Even if they’re assembled by size, I look at all the racks even if it says extra small (which I am, most assuredly, not). People shove things back wherever they feel like it. That, my friends, is how you find the good stuff. Look in the places you don’t expect it to be. My husband probably things that’s insane, but that’s how you bargain shop. You hunt.
The hunt, for me at least, is half the fun. Looking, poking, peeking. The other half is finding. Yeppers, when you find the size pants you were looking for, and they’re the right color, and they’ve been marked down three times already, and it’s an additional 50% off, plus you have another 20% off coupon! Bliss. Nirvana. It’s nearly orgasmic.
Hmmmm, perhaps that’s why I like it so much?
I think it started when I was a kid. My mother was one of the original coupon queens. She had to be with four kids – two of them boys that ate a box a cereal in two days. So I come by my shopping skills honestly. And yes, I do have and use coupons too.
So my favorite thing to do the day after Christmas is… anybody wanna guess? Okay, I’ll tell you. I am going to hit the clearance sales at the stores. I’m making a list of those with the nicest Christmas decorations so I can get them at half price starting with Super Target. I have to say that Target is probably my favorite department store. I will also likely be hitting Sam’s, and maybe Belk’s (depends on what the parking lot looks like at the mall - one thing I won’t do is hunt for a parking space if there aren’t any. Hey, I have my limits! J )
I will be off tooling around in my Prius as soon as I get some coffee, put on some clothes and run a brush through my hair.
So, everybody tell me, are you secret bargain shoppers too? Or do you just buy what you need and get the flock outta there?
And have you ever bought something, then returned it so you could buy it again on clearance? Me too!
Join me everyone… tell me your bargain shopping secrets… everybody who posts gets entered in a drawing for a download of their choice of my books!

16 Comments:

Blogger Jaynie said...

Here in Australia we have the Boxing Day Sales on Dec 26 which was today. The stores go mad with 10% to 90% off on everything. You can not move in the shops. I got some cheap books, and some stationary. I'm stationary nuts lol. Got some beautiful notebooks.

Hope you all had a fab Christmas, I've missed my daily dose of SEx - been on vaca *g*

8:15 AM  
Blogger Meljprincess said...

I try to do some shopping at the Navy Exchange. Items are less expensive.

Before I shop at a major book chain I hit Walmart. Books are cheaper.

I buy massive amounts of Russell Stover's candy after the holiday cause it's 1/2 off *sometimes*

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're my kind of woman! I could have been reading an excerpt from my dairy with how accurate that is. My husband will NOT go shopping with me any more cuz' I take too long. But oh is that extra time worth it!
Here's to us all finding some great bargains out there! :-D

9:10 AM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

I may be the odd one in the bunch, but I hate to shop. My sister-in-law calls me a hunter, not a shopper. I go out with a specific quarry in mind, I bag it, and I go home.

I don't do crowds on normal days. Forget the day after craziness. Not. Me. :)

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes I am a find it and get the heck out of here person and then other times I love to hunt and find all those good bargains! Depends on my mood. But I have to admit, there's nothing better than finding something really neat for a super cheap price! I especially love to find books on sale so I can buy lots of them!

11:27 AM  
Blogger jennyowl said...

I confess I have a weakness for real sales, sometimes to the extent of buying doubles of what I like. LOL

You definitely to hit the sale early so that you don't miss the good stuff. If you are shopping for skirts, wear pants so you can try on a skirt on the spot without having to queue for the changing room. Save more time for the hunt for that ultimate bargain!

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Dinah! I couldn't focus with Santa stripping.

I'm going to have top read your blog over again. Yes...read.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have to say, Santa STRIPPING did it for me. LOL

Okay, shopping, let's see. Yeah, I do that. Day after crowds? That I don't do. But any other time of the year, I will shop -- bargains, full price, discount, I don't care -- I just love to shop. My closet looks it, too.

When I do stumble across the two mark-down, fifty percent off with another 20 -- it is like hitting the Mother Lode. Of course, they usually don't have my size. I am one of those average/medium types and those go the fastest. So, very often, I'm stuck buying it at the first markdown-- but hey, something off is better than nothing.

I also take advantage of store member advantages, e.g., Chicos-- I love Chicos. They send out monthly catalogs with discount cards. They also markdown stuff every week -- got two silk/stretch turtlenecks for the price of less than one just a couple of weeks ago. I was in hog heaven (shows my Midwestern beginngings, don't it?)

So, yeah for shopping. Now back to the stripping Santa. Woo-hoo!

Rae Morgan

12:32 PM  
Blogger Darragha! said...

I'm not much on shopping. I do like a good bargain, but I don't shop for them. I wait for them to come to me.

And they do!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Hart said...

Have to say, Santa STRIPPING did it for me. LOL

I agree with Rae! No, I don't do the crowds thing, i.e. black Friday or the day after Christmas. I bide my time.

This year I received a number of gift cards! Yes! I am eager to go shopping to the various merchants and cash in.

Happy new year, everyone!

Nessie

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

woohoo, very nice Santa! I have to dig in my purse for dollar bills to give to Santa for his tip! :)

I'm more the go in, get what I need and leave type of shopper. If I walk around the store very long, I will think about if I really need that item and usually talk myself out of buying it. So I watch for sales and shop quick!

Hope everyone had a nice holiday.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Hart said...

I removed the stripping Santa from my blog because yours is SO much better!

Nessie

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nessie! We can have more than one stripping Santa! And where do you gals find these guys? I'm missing out on these web sites somehow.

Rae

7:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I tried to go shopping today. All the stores were so packed. I couldn't find anything. I love bargain shopping. My niece was wanting a shirt with either Rolling Stones or Kiss on the front. I managed to find a Motley Crue shirt for $4.98. I took it to the register and it was half off. I got it for $2.49.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Christy Gissendaner said...

I wish I had the patience to be a clearance shopper. Instead I'm the girl who absolutely must have something the moment it comes out. But I restrained myself yesterday. You would be proud, Bethie. I saw some panties for $18, but I passed them up. Good lord! For that price, they'd better vibrate.

Robin
www.robindanner.com

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders