Sunday, July 30, 2006

Conferences, conferences, conferences…

So, by the time this is posted I’ll be on a plane heading back to Oklahoma after spending the last five days in Atlanta at the Romance Writers of America conference. This conference, unlike RT, always energizes me when it comes to writing…we’re here to talk about craft, hook up face time with editors, agents and other authors and generally get the writing juices flowing (no comments from the peanut gallery, please *G*). RT is great at its purpose, getting authors out there to meet and greet, but at the end of it I’m always exhausted (must be all that partying *g*).

On Thursday I hosted the National Readers’ Choice Awards, which pubbed authors keep telling me is one of the “it” contests to final and win in. Since my chapter hosts it, we’re kinda insulated from the whole concept…it’s just our baby, y’know? Anyway, I got to meet a great new friend, Jill Shalvis, and take a pic with her…it was very cool. I also got to hang out with my incredible critique partners and fellow LSBers JB Skully/Jasmine Haynes and Leigh Wyndfield *and* meet up with Katie Bryan, an online friend who I’d never met in person.

And, since I’m a sinful smoker *g*, I ended up poolside (the hotel doesn’t allow smoking inside) with the biggies like Nora Roberts and Vicki Hinze.

All in all, it was a great conference. Tell me about your conference experiences (even those not writing related) and I’ll pick one winner for any book from my backlist.

Keira

6 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

i've never been to a conference *pout*. maybe one day, though... from the pictures i've seen they look fun :)

Elizabeth
www.elizabethsreviews.blogspot.com
WANTED: Authors For Promo Event

2:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Never been to a conference. I would love to have went to the RWA conference.

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I wish I could have gone to RWA or RT since I have never been. They sound so fun. Oh well, maybe someday when my little ones are old enough.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Kayelle Allen said...

I live 40 miles from Atlanta so I drove down on Thursday evening and met with a group of friends there for the conference. I also had the pleasure of hooking up with a niece who is beginning her writing career.

We spent several hours hanging out and talking about writing. Great to find out other members of the family got the writing gene!

8:34 PM  
Blogger jennyowl said...

I've never had the chance to attend one. Can't afford it.

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

conferences are rather boring i tend to search for a better way to spend time.

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders