Saturday, July 29, 2006

Sex Over 40

Trying to decide what I had to offer on this subject, I typed those words into the search engine and came up with numerous videos and books designed to help spice up sex for the over-40 crowd. Turns out there’s also a movie by that title from 1994. But most interesting was an article about an April 2006 study, excerpts of which are posted below:
“NEW YORK - About three-fourths of middle-aged and older women are sexually active and two-thirds of them are at least somewhat satisfied, according to a new study.
Dr. Ilana B. Addis of the University of Arizona in Tucson and colleagues also found in their survey of just over 2,000 women aged 40 to 69 that better mental health was associated with more sexual satisfaction.
Seventy-one percent of the women reported having sex in the past year, while 37 percent had sex monthly or less often and 33 percent had sex weekly or more frequently. One-third of sexually active women reported having some type of sexual dysfunction, including lack of interest in sex, inability to relax and enjoy sex, or difficulty in becoming aroused or having an orgasm.”

There was more, but the gist of it seemed to be that a good sex life only adds to general well-being and good health. Well, duh, we knew that! There was also a little sex poll to take and not surprisingly, most women claimed their sex life was fine or better than ever.
So, how about you (if you’re over 40 or getting close to it), do you still have the same spark? Have reached a plateau? Or are you finding it true that a woman hits her sexual peak much later then men do?

If you’d rather not talk about your personal sex life, how about books? Do you like to read a good older woman/younger man story and think, like I do, that there’s not enough of them out there?

Here are a couple of older/younger reads from Liquid Silver authors. Blaise Kilgallen's Wild Knights and At the Mercy of Her Pleasure by Kayelle Allen.

9 Comments:

Blogger catt said...

i'm not 40 yet, but sex is and always has been great between ma and hubby.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Krissy said...

I know I'm planning a future book with an older Hero/Heroine. So I would love to see a weigh in on this particular subject. I think as women get older it's harder for to identify with the insecure 18 year old, which was standard fare back in the days of the Bodice-ripper. Today most heroines are made of sterner stuff regardless of their age - just like women today. :)

Tina

11:04 AM  
Blogger Darragha! said...

I am 45. So is my husband. We comment sometimes after a nice rousing bit of loving that 'it just keeps getting better.' Man, we have a great sex life. We still neck on the couch! Or in the canned green beans aisle of the grocery store.

Our teenaged daughter yells at us, "Get a room!"

Sex over 40 rocks!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Bonnie Dee said...

Great movie dealing with this is "White Palace" with Susan Sarandon and a young James Spader. You can see my review of this great mid-90s movie at www.wickedescapesezine.com

11:52 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

LSB Author, Darragha Foster said...

"Sex over 40 rocks!"

So does sex over 50!!!!

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm 52, the dh is 63. Since I hit 45 my libido just went out of control. I would and could have sex every night, but the dh isn't so willing, so I'm thankful for what I get and he's such a good lover that he is worth waiting for...hehe!!! I must say though, that a young, energetic stud is certainly more appealing to me these days...LOL!!!

5:35 PM  
Blogger Kayelle Allen said...

Thank you for supplying a link to At the Mercy of Her Pleasure. The hero is 7 years younger than the heroine and when he meets her -- a virgin. I had a lot of fun allowing her to seduce him; it wasn't easy for either of them to manage time alone or opportunity.

Not unlike real life, huh?

My dh is an entire 3 days younger than I am (cradle robber, that's me). I've always found the older woman younger man concept appealing. After all, women hit their stride about 30 and men are safety-wired into the "ON" position from about 18...

As for sex after 40? Oh, yeah, honey. If you're not there yet, hang on. *winks*

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm heading toward the later part of my 40's and I really enjoy it more as I get older. But the hubby is having a hard time (because of medical reasons) So having sex isn't always easy. ;)

1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hit my sexual peak at about 38. Hubby made the comment—in ALL seriousness—that I was wearing him out :) Sex is better now than it’s ever been. I think in part because I’m now more in touch with my sexuality. Now I truly know what I enjoy and I’m more willing to admit it/ask for it...no matter how non-vanilla it is!

5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders