Sunday, July 23, 2006

What's Age Got To Do With It?

A few days ago, Paige Burns had a birthday, one somewhere between 33 and 85. Oops. I mean, 35. *grin* She wrote in her blog here at SEX about whether she felt old, looked old and sounded old. Thankfully, her answers to those questions were all "No." (And let me tell you, folks, the older you get, the older "old" is! At 16, anyone over 30 was old, and over 40... well, you already had one foot in the grave, right? At 40-something, I don't start thinking of people being "old" until they've hit their 80s. My, how time changes our perspectives. LOL)

Now, me, my last birthday I celebrated the twentieth anniversary of my 23rd birthday. And the last time I went to the Outback for dinner, the server carded me. Said I didn't even look like I was 35, and if a patron doesn't look at least 35 they have to show identification to order a drink.

Woo-hoo!

I can honestly say this is the best time of my life. I wouldn't want to be in my twenties again (hmm, college, low-paying jobs... no). Or even my thirties (better paying jobs but still not great). Now, in my forties, I have enough life experience under my belt from which to draw upon as I write. I have good friends--some who get me and like me anyway, and some who scratch their heads now and then, but are still there for me when I need them. I have good health, barring some stray aches and pains and hands that won't stop stuffing food into my mouth.

I'm finding, too, that I'm writing older heroes and heroines--in their 30s and even 40s. I don't know about anyone else, but I have a hard time relating to a hero who's 19 years old. I have four nephews who aren't that far removed from 19, so I remember what they were like at that age. Not hero material, in my opinion. And before anyone starts throwing spit wads at me (or something even more dangerous), I know we have a lot of 19 year olds over in Iraq and Afghanistan and other places around the world, putting their lives on the line every day, and sometimes losing their lives. I wish they could be home, still being kids, but they are performing their duty for their country. They are, I believe, the exception.

I want a hero who has some angst, who has enough sexual experience to know how to satisfy--and more--the heroine. A man who knows what he wants and goes after it, and finds the one woman who can satisfy--and more--him. (I'm speaking as the perpetually single white female, alas, but there you have it.)

What about you? What age do you like your heroes and heroines to be?


And because it just wouldn't be a post from me without some serious eye candy, here you go...


Aye carumba!


(Be sure to check out Kayelle's post below!)


Sherrill Quinn
Follow your passion to the edge... and beyond
Website | Blog | MySpace | Indulge Authors | Readers Group

18 Comments:

Blogger catt said...

I thinks 30-40's are the best ages,
you can get away with 28 or so, but its still not the same.

10:55 AM  
Blogger LISA WILLIAMS said...

I love the eye candy...drooling at him all day long! I think our maturity levels have changed from the time we were kids compared to the current generation. I like my heros to be in their 30's and the heroines in their late 20's.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

Karen: When I was in my 20s and early-mid 30s, I was not very assertive. Always the peacemaker, not wanting to make waves. Now, I will stand up for myself, because I know I have to. And I'm old enough (mature enough?) to realize that not everyone I meet is going to like me... and that's Okay. But it took me awhile to get here. :)

Catt: There's just something about having more life experience, isn't there? Most people just don't have that much when they're still in their 20s. I know I didn't.

Lisa: Ain't he yummy?? LOL

11:13 AM  
Blogger Meljprincess said...

Hi Sherrill!
I like my heros and heroines to be any age.
Thanks for the pic. I just had an eyegasm. *wink*

1:35 PM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

Hiya, meljprincess! I live to serve. LOL

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like heroes and heroines to be in their 30-40's since I am in my 50's. I think as you mature you enjoy reading about heroes and heroines that are closer to your own age.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

Annalisa, I think you're right--it's about being able to relate to the characters, and you can do that if they're closer to your age. :)

4:31 PM  
Blogger Shara Lanel said...

Sherrill, I still get carded too! I'm in my (mid)30s though, so not quite as cool, but it really annoys my friends ;-)

I find that I like to write my heroines late 20s and have the heroes mid-30s. Of course, my dh is early 40s...ah, if only he looked like your eye candy! *g*

Shara
www.sharalanel.com

5:09 PM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, Shara, I'm not holding my breath on getting carded again. LOL

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as I'm still young enough to appreciate hot bods like the one you posted...I'm good.

At least at 40, I now know what I'm doing!

9:43 PM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

LOL, Anonymous. If you're too old to drool over a hot guy, you might as well give it up! :)

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think 30's are a great time to do, probably because I am in that age bracket.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Kayelle Allen said...

Sherrill - thanks for so graciously letting me share your blog day when I got the wrong date on the calendar. Please come back on Aug 23 (my real day, oops!) and post with me. :)

Oh, and for the record - you are never to old. Unless you think you are.

11:22 PM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

Cheri, most of my heroes and heroines tend to be in their 30s, or very close to it. I mean, that server thought I didn't look 35, so, hey! I can live with that! LOL

12:19 AM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

Kayelle, of all the things I miss, I miss my mind the most. Don't worry about it, hon. It happens to the best of us! *G*

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any age as long as the motor running. Wink! Nice pic got my motor running. LOL!
Hugs!
Lisa R.

1:03 AM  
Blogger Teoh said...

It that a tatoo? Very droolable!

Think any age for the hero and heroine is good as long as they don't act like spoiled children. Been know to love heros that are centuries old! (^_^)

2:30 AM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

Lisa: Glad you like the pic. He's very grrrrr, isn't he? LOL

Teoh: I know what you mean about a centuries-old hero... I've been in love with 'em, too. *G* (And, yeah, that's a tatt. Grrrrrowf!)

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders