Monday, May 08, 2006

Let's hear it for vaginas!



Howdy y'all! Beth Williamson here. I'm back, and I'm sure everyone missed me, right?

As a follow-up to my marvelous column about pet names for penises, I thought I'd flip the coin and talk about something else that's near and dear to an erotic romance novelist's heart… the vagina. I always thought Georgia O'Keefe's paintings looks like female anatomy (thus the picture to the left. )

Oh, to hear the funny names that men pop out with for female anatomy. I was going to talk about breasts, but didn't feel like getting into the hooters/melons/casabas/tits discussion just yet.

It's a part of the anatomy that we erotic romance novelists have to find a comfortable name for.

So, here is my thesaurus of terms for the vagina.

Pussy (I use this one the most)
Vulva (too clinical)
Mons (also use this one)
Quim (too British for me)
Snatch (sounds illegal)
Notch (what's notched)
Bush (ugh)
Vagina (way too clinical)
Cunt (use very sparingly)
Hair pie (double ugh)
Apricot split (heh?)
Beaver (makes me think of teeth)
Bunny (too cute)
Cockpit (ROFL!)
Honey pot (a little goofy)
Mound (mound of what?)
Split tail (I'm not split!)
Poontang (this one is just weird)
Slit (it's more than a slit, man)
Twat (eh, not)
Venus Mound (it's Venus' mound?)
Hot box (I guess that's true)

I've collected these from various online sites, other authors, and just from hearing or reading them.

Personally, I use pussy more than anything and feel the most comfortable saying it. I'd love to hear what y'all think - I know this is a funky column subject, but what the hell. The blog is named SEx, after all. ;)

Tell me which ones I'm missing, which one is your favorite, or least favorite. Let 'er rip, everyone. Give it to me straight (or sideways). ;)

14 Comments:

Blogger Meljprincess said...

CUNT is my favorite. Though once I did get into a fight with a man and woman in the Sea World parking lot after I called her the C word. OH, I just realised...Sea World...C Word....sound almost the same, eh? ,Hahahaha!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

good morning beth,

great topic hon. you've got a couple on that list i've never heard but for the most part, you nailed it...the words, not the...um, oh never mind. can you tell i need more coffee?

when writing i use pussy ninety-five percent of the time. i'd say you've got about sixteen of my least fav already listed ~g~.

michelle

9:47 AM  
Blogger Jennie Andrus said...

LOL I used to work at a restaurant where everyone would sneak up behind you and whisper "snatch!"

One that bothers me (in books) is hole....how unsexy is that? and I can only say the word cunt when I'm playing quadsol, which is a brutal game which requires a colorful language.

some memorable ones from my misspent youth are:
muff
cooter (no idea how this one came about)

I'll have to pester DH for some more since I am drawing a blank.

Jennie

10:27 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Y. said...

I have seen "womanhood" more than a couple of times in several books.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

I'll admit I tend to get a little flowery because I don't want to overuse pussy, so I'll use "sex" and "folds", i.e., swollen folds, slick folds, feminine folds, etc. I do use cunt, but usually only in the hero's POV. I have seen "nether lips" used, but I've yet to use it myself. :)

10:54 AM  
Blogger Christy Gissendaner said...

I've got a funny story, Beth. This weekend on my night long excursion, I had to pee in the woods for the first time in my life! I told the boys, "I'm off to find a bush." As soon as the words left my lips, I thought, "Damn it!" Thankfully they didn't pick up on my slip.

Robin

11:12 AM  
Blogger Jennie Andrus said...

*sigh* ok...you couldn't use these ones in a romace novel...well....maybe somebody could, but I know I couldn't.....

bearded clam
pink taco
Hairy cave
snookie
hoo-nannie
pink door on a brown garage....

*sigh* DH had a great time discussing these with the guys at work for me, and now they all think I'm some kind of perv...

Last night my daughter (she's five) told me that boys have peenies and girls have fine china.

Jennie

11:48 AM  
Blogger jennyowl said...

I've also seen euphemisms like love box and secret garden.
Pussy is my favourite. Twat is probably my least favourite.

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A couple more for the list, though I am not fond of either:

cock dock
muff

Little Lamb Lost

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use pussy, cunt and slit. LOL It does depend on who's POV I"m in though. SOme women would never use those words, some men are ore poetic than others. *grin*

BUt uhmm Beaver is never one I'd want to use...

1:51 PM  
Blogger robynl said...

Some names I've heard used are:
joy hole
bat cave

2:57 PM  
Blogger Jennie Andrus said...

I couldn't use beaver during a sex scene, but I just used it in this context in a story I'm writing, sort of as a joke. I'd laugh myself sick if I saw it used during a serious sex description though.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I'm a kitty cat lover myself. :)

I've used "slick passage" and "eager hole" before. They're not the greatest, but I find "cunt" too masculine when writing from the female's POV.

Just my hang-up I guess!

I may have used "nether lips" once or twice. I'm not big on slit or twat, either. Too crude and not sophisticated enough for me. But then if the characters are more "street-wise" I could theoretically use those terms in their dialogue...

5:47 PM  
Blogger Meljprincess said...

It's a true story, Beth. Cross my cunt lips! Heehee..

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders