Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Part 2 - I Love the 80's? - Music

At times it pains me to see advertising for "80's Retro". It seems like yesterday. I did a little research for the music of the 80's and here's what I found...

  • MTV was lauched in the 80's

  • New Wave Pop, or Synthpop reigns the 80's, also bringing with it the sounds of new technology, synthesizers and electronic keyboards, along with drum machines, that lend an electronic, distinct sound to most 1980s records. Early eighties groups such as Devo and Duran Duran are pioneers.


  • The Hip hop scene evolves to become a powerful musical force, bringing with it several dance styles. Hip hop also brings artists like Grandmaster Flash, Kurtis Blow and N.W.A. to the forefront; hip hop's spread outside of New York City, especially to Los Angeles, accelerates and then takes off beyond America's shores.


BTW, that's Vin Diesel break dancing to Kurtis Blow!
  • Heavy Metal, later known as hair metal, became extremely popular in 1980s, and became one of the most dominating music genres of the late 1980s. Bands such as Van Halen, Twisted Sister, Poison, Ratt, Mötley Crüe, Cinderella, Whitesnake, Quiet Riot, Bon Jovi, Guns 'N Roses got heavy airplay.


  • Thrash Metal becomes underground sensation originating in the Bay Area, California. Bands like Metallica, Megadeth, and Slayer are popular.



  • Indie Rock is born, with bands such as The Smiths, Sonic Youth and Pixies as pioneers.



  • Top-charting artists of the 1980s include The Police, Pat Benatar, Lionel Richie, The Go-Go's, Dire Straits, Van Halen, Foreigner, Phil Collins, Huey Lewis and the News, Bryan Adams, Queen, U2, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, Prince, Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, Beastie Boys, and Bon Jovi.

Here's some questions to start the ball rolling. You don't have to answer each one or anything, their just questions to get you thinking...

What genre was your favorite? Which band do you know all the lyrics? What group do you think should never have made it beyond their garage? What group do you think was totally underated and should have been made into superstars? What was your favorite 80's concert? And did you throw your panties? ;)

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh I am first!

I was thrash metal. What? Come on...okay. So I was all bubble gum pop. I tried.

Duran Duran seemed to be the band in my neighborhood. Madonna too.

I don't remember any concerts.

I find even now I'll listen to D2 (the early stuff) and a few others. I mean...really...the music will never be the same as it was in the 80s.

I mean...we had Don Johnson singing! And Eddie Murphy.

What future decades can top that?

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and I most thankful that Vin has bulked up and decided to shave his head. Yep. Most thankful.

3:15 PM  
Blogger catt said...

i was into poison, metallica, bon jovi, megadeth,cinderella, ratt,whitsnake,van halen,sammy hagar,even madana

went to a megadeth concert, didnt throw panties but dave mustane held my hand and tried to get me on stage, but my friend pulled me back down, some friend huh!

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was into Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Phil Collins, Foreigner, Pat Benatar, etc. I can remember how excited the girls in my high school were about Madonna and I just could not understand the mania. I can count on one hand how many concerts I have been to and there was no panty throwing going on. :-)

3:32 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Y. said...

Well, I was 8 when the '80s ended so I will try to answer these the best I can:

-What genre was your favorite?
Didn't have one and don't really remember listening to music much.

-Which band do you know all the lyrics?
None, unless you count some of the New Kids on the Blocks songs and theme songs to cartoons. Oh, and a couple of Debbie Gibson and Tiffany songs (were they in the '80s?)...can't really remember the lyrics now though.

-What group do you think should never have made it beyond their garage?
New Kids on the Block (now I think this...back then they were cute)

-What group do you think was totally underated and should have been made into superstars?
Not sure

-What was your favorite 80's concert?
None in the '80s unless you count Sesame Street live...LOL

-And did you throw your panties?
See above and even if I had gone to a "real" concert I was a kid and had never heard of panty-throwing...LOL

4:52 PM  
Blogger Deborah Chan said...

Madonna was my favourite.

7:54 PM  
Blogger LISA WILLIAMS said...

I was a fan of Duran Duran.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Shuck Ying said...

Wow! This brings back memories...New Kids on the Block was the group to listen to.

7:56 PM  
Blogger jennyowl said...

Duran Duran, Foreigner. I only discovered them in the 90s though. LOL

8:27 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Y. said...

Oh and I forgot to add about Sesame Street live (my only concert experience that I can remember in the 80s) and panty-throwing...not sure Big Bird and Oscar would have appreciated my underoos as much as rock stars appreciated panties.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Poison, Metallica, Bon Jovi, Cinderella, Whitsnake, Madonna, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, and Guns-n-Roses. Loved the videos. I can't believe that was Vin Diesel.

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bon Jovi is STILL one of my favorites. Now he's a talented actor, too. (Anybody see him in U-571?)

Phil Collins, Glenn Frey, Don Henley ... loved them all! And the group Alabama took country music mainstream.

Thanks for the fun topic.
Nessie

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, two more 80s groups worth mentioning: Men Without Hats (Remember "Safety Dance?") and Wang Chung. Loved Wang Chung!

Nostalgic Nessie

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders