Monday, February 27, 2006

Bad Dates...

No, I'm not talking about Friday the 13th, although for me that was involved.

I'm talking about going out with a guy/girl and expecting a good time, only to wish you were going through Chinese torture instead.

I've been happily married for 11 years, but before I met "the man sleeping in my bed" (LOL. See Jane's post to get that one. Sounds sort of Goldilockish.) I had a few dates that never got off on the right foot.

Here's one...

First of all, PLEASE, don't post or email me hate mail regarding this post, it's about the date, not where I worked, it was just a job, not a cause for me.

The summer after my freshman year of college I moved back to my home town and got a job at a research lab at the University of Missouri-Columbia hospital. I had/have no medical background, my Mom knew the office manager. My job was general office stuff, as well as to take the orders from the researchers/interns/doctors for test animals, mainly mice. (see, please no hate mail)

For the first month, nothing exciting happened, it was a pretty boring job, but one day, a cute guy came in and placed an order. Now being 19 and single, I did a little "workplace" flirting. This guy continued to come in and order and each time he began to flirt more and more with me. One day he asked me out on a date. Now, despite the harmless flirting, I balked at this. He was older than me, I didn't know by how much, but I'd never really been on a "date" before either, so I was a little wary. I joked and said he didn't really want to go out on a date with me. This went on for a few weeks, he kept asking and I kept jokingly declining. After a bit I got a little tired of saying no to the guy so finally I said yes. We set a date and time.

When he came to pick me up at my house, he wasn't dressed very nice and I had. That should have been my first clue. He walked me to his car, which was a very dirty Jeep that had junk everywhere inside and on the seat I was supposed to sit on. (clue #2) Determined to make the best of it, I got in and we went on our way. Now Columbia wasn't a huge town, but there are quite a few choices of places to go eat. And since TG (The Guy - after this much time, I've forgotten his name!) had asked me out, I figured he'd had the evening scheduled out. I was wrong.

He asked me where I wanted to eat. I told him I didn't care, I thought he'd choose. We drove around for thirty minutes before I finally told him a Chinese restaurant to go to that was close and good. Once we were seated he proceeded to talk entirely about himself. Except when it came to tell me how old he was, he skirted around that issue all night long. (clue #3,4,5) I could barely make it through dinner and hoped that dinner was all he had not-planned for the evening. I was wrong.

We got back into his Jeep and he pulled out from a pile of junk in the back seat a newspaper and
handed me the movie section, asking me to read what was out in the theatre so he could pick a show to go to. (clue #6) He decided going to see Friday the 13th in 3-D was the perfect movie.(clue#7) I am not joking. If I'd been older and more experienced at dating I would have claimed a headache way before now, but alas, I was young and naive.

Note-notice the movie's tag line, how fitting is that?

The movie was horrible, not only do I hate scary/creepy movies, I can't stand the whole 3-D thing. He, of course, loved it. Finally the movie was over and he wanted to go someplace else, but I told him I had to work early the next morning (not a lie, see, wasn't smart enough yet) so thankfully he took me home.

We sat in the Jeep in my driveway for a bit, again, I think just so he could hear himself talk. But I finally got him to tell me how old he was. 39! Now to some people that might not be a big deal, but that was the same age as my stepdad! I totally freaked and seriously had to hold back my Chinese dinner from coming back up. And despite the fact that I'd probably said 10 words all night long and looked a little green around the gills, he asked for a second date! I don't even know what excuse I gave, something about having to look at my schedule with school and all, and high-tailed it out of there as fast as possible.

Thankfully, I only saw him a few more times in the office after that, each time telling him I didn't have time due to work and school to reschedule another date, before he moved on to a different department.

Whew! That was painful to write!

So spill...

I have to work a bit in the morning, but I'll be back to chat with you! At the end of the day I'll pick a winner for a sur-prize!

Paige
Website. Blog.

13 Comments:

Blogger Faltenin said...

Poor you, what a crappy date, but what a funny story for over a glass of wine (hint hint)

My worst date...? errr let me think.

Dating a girl who expected me to speak all the time the same way as I write my letters, with all the romantic lyricism? That was spooky. She just couldn't understand, thought I was being a pain in the ass.

5:42 AM  
Blogger jennyowl said...

I had my graduation portrait taken at a studio and when I went back subsequently to select the shots and the frame, I became friendly with the photographer.

I wasn't attracted to him, just found him helpful and easy to talk to. Then one day he called and asked me out, saying it was his birthday. I was cautious as I hadn't gone on single dates before and I was not interested in developing anything romantically with him, but he said it would be just a dinner between friends so I relented.

We had dinner at a country style restaurant. Things were fine until he presented me with a watch. I didn't want to accept it but he wouldn't take it back and I didn't want to make too much of a fuss. Then he started to drop hints that he had some sort of blood disease that prevented him from having a girlfriend. He was very mysterious about it so I still have no idea what exactly it is but it totally freaked me out. It's just not something you would talk about on a first date and I began to wonder if he expects something from me for the watch. I had butterflies in my stomach and couldn't wait for the dinner to end.

When we got back to the bus interchange where I have to take a bus home, he wanted to accompany me but I hastily turned him down. I avoided his calls after that. The watch I gave to my cousin because I didn't want any reminder of the date.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

Paige, that was too eerily similar to a first date I once had, only we went to see Phantasm. I, too, am not a fan of creepy/scary movies (I haven't seen--not do I want to--any of the Halloween or Friday the 13th movies and those similar to them).

I was young, too. With the choice of the movie, I should've seen the date was going to be a disaster, and it was. LOL

8:49 AM  
Blogger Darragha! said...

Oh...I've had way too many 'bad dates.' Let's see...earliest one...

Nice guy with locker across the hall in high school walked over and said, "Hey, you're kind of cute. Let's go out!" We knew each other only cursory--but I said 'sure.' We started a nice little romance...had a great first date. Played "Star Wars" (oooo...I'm dating myself here) in an open field, dueling with light sabers made of tall grass. Scoped out the sealed-up mine shaft behind the grocery store. It was fun.

Second date...saw "Damnation Alley." I like that movie, incidently. But...that's when Dana told me that he had a boyfriend, too. And that he was sexually active with his boyfriend. And that he had just given his boyfriend oral pleasure for the first time that same afternoon...

1) I wasn't going to French kiss Dana ever again;
2) I'm too greedy to share--I like my sweetie all to myself

Dana and I parted company quite amicably. I cried and cried for a few days--as I really wanted a boyfriend...(oh, high school...). Three years later Dana showed up where I worked, announced he had the clap and two years after that, he died of AIDS. I will always miss him.

Then there was...

I'll be back!

Darragha

9:28 AM  
Blogger Pink Pen said...

Ahhhh, the pick a hand guy. I remember him. First, he lied to me about what he looked like (we met online). Then he started arguing with me about my life choices. Then he called me at 5 a.m. on a work day hoping for a little phone sex. All this before we met in person.
And when we did, he spent the entire time talking about a) the comic book store he owned and b) all these women who wanted to marry him (uh-huh)
Finally, when he must have realized I wasn't interested, he gave me an ultimatum. This hand means he's my boyfriend (!!!). This hand means we're just friends who hang out.

Heh, this finger means I'm outta here. *grin*

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What a lousy date. I have had some rather crappy dates myself. I remember one when I was 17 that still makes me shake my head when I think of it. I was working during summer break to have money for when college started. One of my coworkers who was in his early 20's asked me out for pizza during our lunch hour. We sat and chatted and he seemed like such a nice guy. He was very respectful. When we got back to the office one of the secretaries who was from the same neighborhood as him was there. She realized we had just been out so she said "Oh Darren. How is your girlfriend? You know! The one you got pregnant!" I am just standing there with my mouth open watching him get this panicky look on his face. He started hemming and hawing and walked away. I thanked the secretary and she said she figured I did not know and wanted to warn me that he was not as nice as he seems.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Darragha! said...

...then there was...

Richard. He really liked me. In fact, he asked me to marry him several times. He was looking for a virgin whore--and I mean this seriously.

One "real" date I had with him...not necessarily a first date...but a "real date" where we went out together and not as a group...I drank way too much beer with a bunch of college boys at our table...way...too...much...beer...

Richard rolled me back to the apartment and I was all frisky. We were kissing and all of a sudden...I threw up on his shoes.

He kind of quit worshipping me after that. :(

12:07 PM  
Blogger Cynthya said...

Some of these stories are really hilarious and very creepy. :)

I am feeling really lucky because I never had a horrible date. There was the guy who had to "borrow" money from me to buy gas and pay for our dinner, but I had a good time anyway. Then there was the guy with terrible breath, but when I was on a date with him I met my future husband so I can't really call that a bad date. I am SO glad I don't have to date now.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Caffey said...

Oh gosh, I wrote the whole story here and the web page said not responding, ugh! one more time!
Paige, first its so hard to be with someone who you don't know til you spend some time alone with them.
This story i'm telling, I've maybe told before but it really fits with the worst date!
Ricky who I met in the TV room in the dorms, many times, as well as lunch, etc. I thought he would be one I'd like to date. Comes from a good family with their own business etc. I wanted to get to know more about him. One of many clues was that I met him watching sports on TV! So when he asked if I wanted to go out with him to a basketball game and dinner, I wished the game wasn't part of it but said yes. Well we are ready to go and there's other guys coming and one other girl. They are his buddies and guys I knew at the school. Well, I didn't get to chat with him on the ride, he was chatting with his buddies. Even the girl was chatting along with them!. When we get there, I'm sitting next to him but the guys are reaching over slapping hands (high fives) and all that so I move so they are sitting with each other. Too the game is boring! The guys go get some beer and forever coming back or I assume sitting somewhere else by now! I ended up getting out, having someone call for a taxi for me and went back to the dorm!! Even the next day he didn't ask what happened to me. I can bet that he forgot he took me! At first I blamed myself that maybe I wasn't interesting or he wasn't interested in me, but later on, I knew it was him, just one of those men so into sports that there's nothing else that exists!
Cathie

2:12 PM  
Blogger Darragha! said...

I recall dancing with a girlfriend, who waned to hook up with this guy who had a friend and I got stuck with "his friend." The guy kept trying to stick his tongue in my mouth, or ear or like...wherever it was he could reach as I turned my head and tried to get away...he smelled like fish and had a cold, clammy tongue. Icky-poo.

That was the last time I went dancing with that girlfriend.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Dee S Knight and Anne Krist said...

These stories make me happy to be boring...

Like Cynthya, I don't think I ever really had a bad date. Not a horror story date, anyway. But I did go out with a guy I'd been seeing off and on through college, and we doubled with his twin. His brother was very nice and a lot of fun during the evening and my date was really quiet. When we said goodnight, I called him by his brother's name. So maybe he would write in and say that was one of his bad dates?

Interesting blog!

Dee
www.deesknight.com

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL -- that is a terrible date! 39! That's even older than I'd go, and I like older men, to be sure :-)

I've been on some bizarre dates. Like the one where the guy wouldn't hold my hand because that, to him, counted as PDA. I just thought he was either 1) weird or 2) gay. And then the one where the guy took me to see The Exorcism of Emily Rose as a first date (yes, this was recently), well knowing that I am TERRIFIED of horror movies. Especially those involving possession. Unless it's romantic possession. *cough* He was a sweet guy, but clueless.

In fact, I can't say I've been on a really "good" date in a really long time. The last one was with the lawyer ten years my senior that my parents never really approved of (because of his age and the fact that he lived across the ocean!). Hm. I'm already picky enough with men, so I don't suggest that upping my standards would help. Oh well. Here's to expecting the unexpected.

Lily

4:49 PM  
Blogger Jaynie said...

I'm so lucky - I met hubby a month before I turned 18 so I never had to go through all the dating with different guys. At school we always went out in groups, so DH is the only guy I've ever "dated" dated lol.

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders