Friday, February 24, 2006

The Eye of the Beholder

I want to introduce you all to someone. This is Ruby.


Isn’t she great? All round and natural and happy with who she is.

I was really sad that she disappeared so quickly. She was part of a Body Shop self-esteem campaign back in the 90s, saying just what we needed to hear in an era of extreme body shape and diet obsession. Be healthy, be who you are, and love yourself. But Mattel stepped in with a cease and desist order, saying Ruby was insulting to the real Barbie. And parents were feeling their children had been traumatized looking at Ruby’s nude body. Never mind all the similarly nude models of a smaller size on display right next to her. Ruby disappeared almost as quickly as she appeared. And I think the world is a sadder place for it.

In case you can’t tell, I’m a big woman. I’m not ashamed of it. I’m 5’2” and 250 pounds. The only time I get testy about it is when I have to go clothes shopping. Which, fortunately, I’ve always hated to do. Why spend money on clothes when I could be buying books or electronics?

But I’ve always had an odd sense of beauty. For example, Sean Connery as James Bond? Meh. Creepy. Sean Connery in The Untouchables? GUH!! I’ve got no interest in Colin Farrell or Russell Crowe. Naveen Andrews, now . . . But one of the men I find most sexy is Anthony Head. And it’s not just because of his appearance (come on, the man has chicken legs!) He has a wonderfully expressive face that you can just get lost in, but I think more significantly he’s so open and fearless. I’ve seen him do dark and ominous, I’ve seen the sexy fuddy duddy, and I’ve seen him at fifty-one years old run around in a black leather thong without batting an eye. That kind of bravery is incredibly sexy to me.

It’s the same with the women. I like curvy women, I like strong women. Katharine Hepburn and Rita Hayworth are my favorites from film, and now I adore Lucy Lawless. And again it’s the fearless factor. Yes, she’s built like a brick outhouse. But she can do drama, comedy, angst and everything in between with grace and style and a joy that just comes through in her work.

Just like Ruby.

So spill. Who do you find sexy, even though you know no one else does? What is it about them that most attracts you?

5 Comments:

Blogger Philippa Grey-Gerou said...

Oh my, Bec! That *is* sexy!! How was the second date?

6:57 PM  
Blogger ladycat713 said...

Definitely Anthony Head. I followed him from VR5 to Buffy. He's got charisma and I love his singing voice. James Marsters-incredibly expressive eyes. William H. Macy - his hang dog face just makes you want to do anything to amke him smile. Aidan Quinn- eyes and voice. Jeffrey Combs- He pulls off mad genius better than anybody. William Shatner- A guy who can laugh at himself.

I've really got a thing for voices . I love the way Billy Idol growls in some songs, the same for David Bowie when he does the Cat People song. James Earl Jones could talk to me anytime. Dick Van Dyke-the Silver Fox. Harvey Korman and Tim Conway- the two funniest men around .

I better stop this is getting long.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Krissy said...

I have to say, I find it sexy when people are passionate about things. Particulary a hobby or maybe their work. My husband restores War Birds for a living, he is quite literally a wing-man. He'll start talking about forming metal and riveting and his face lights up. Similarly I have an architecht friend who gets near fantic when he sees unusual designs, it fascinating to watch people's faces light up when they are talking about something they truly love. That's sexy.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Philippa Grey-Gerou said...

I'll agree with that, Tina. It's the passion. You can't help but imagine that that will carry over into . . . other parts of their lives. ::winkwinknudgenudge::

8:38 PM  
Blogger A J said...

I like Ruby! And Barbie began "life" as a sex-toy for German businessmen in the early 50's, so what do they know..?

Famous people who I find sexy. No brainer, it has to be Claudia Black from Farscape. Frel, that babe fills those leather pants to perfection!

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders