Sunday, February 26, 2006

Rescue Me... No, Really... Please!

So, here I sit wondering what the heck to write... I don't often get around to visiting the blog as I am a fulltime college teacher and in the throes of working on my PhD. Add to the equation home remodeling, commuting 200 miles a day for work and school, and all the other general day-to-day life-stuff that goes on, and I barely have time to check in with myself! So, Rescue Me was my first attempt at writing anything outside of the academic arena, and it was just a blast to write it (much more fun that writing for research). And, this is my first attempt at blogging, so here goes:

The significant other/boyfriend is asleep in the bed after just having flown in from Japan (he's a geeky engineer and does a lot of traveling). And, he (unbeknownst to him) was the question of the week with my students.

When I talk about myself in context to the subjects I'm teaching (I'm a sociology instructor so we often talk about sex, relationships and life in general), I never really know how to approach WHAT he is. Is he the boyfriend, the significant other, the partner, the companion? After a certain age, boyfriend seems rather inappropriate, but my students tell me partner isn't right either (as they assume this means I have a female partner). Significant other is so freakin' PC, and companion sound like he's my dog! So, even thought it has nothing to do with Rescue Me, what do I call the guy in the bed?

Any suggestions? And, any comments or questions about the book?

9 Comments:

Blogger jennyowl said...

I think boyfriend or SO are fine but here are some suggestions I can think of -- Sweetheart, my other half, the current man in my life, the man who completes me. Guess you can tell I'm not very good at this. LOL

9:54 AM  
Blogger Krissy said...

Other half, I like that one. I always call mine S.O. (Significant Other) even though we are married. I still think he's significant. My friends tease me that I can easily change that to S.O.B. should the need arise. LOL!

10:16 AM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

Friend with benefits? LOL

Congratulations on the book, Jane!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Jeanette J said...

you could call him by his name...just kidding...how about my guy (sounds like a song)or he who must be obeyed (oops wrong pronoun..should be she)or my bed heater....I don't seem to be helping here so you're on your own. Good Luck

11:21 AM  
Blogger A J said...

Congratulations on the book, and well done for finding the time to write!

I always liked "my squeeze" when talking about partner/wife/hubby. Sounds kinda cuddly ;)

Romance for men? Well, we do read them, but to the best of my knowledge there's not been a series such as you mention.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Y. said...

I like "boyfriend".

The book sounds great!

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always liked "Soul Mate".

Your book sounds really really good! :)

3:12 PM  
Blogger A J said...

Hmm, good question, Jane. To my knowledge I can't think of any romance novels that are written specifically for men, although I have a hazy recollection of a NYC publishing house coming up with a range some years back.

I can only speak for myself. I've read works by Denise Dietz, Deena Glass, Sheri Gilmore and Michele Chambers. I have a soft spot for Jane Austin's Pride & Prejudice. Truly a classic!

5:26 PM  
Blogger jennyowl said...

Oh Jane, call him Tool! I'm sure your mom and his mom can see the humor...or not!

1:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders