Saturday, December 10, 2005

Saving the World Inspite of Himself

Good morning, everyone. Aren't you impressed that I got up this early to blog with y'all on a weekend? Okay...I admit I was up any way. My cats having been throwing their bodies against my bedroom door for an hour now. Unfortunately, they haven't learned how to tell time nor have they figured out that Saturday and Sunday are weekends and I should be allowed to sleep in. :) oh well.

After reading Paige's steamy post about Riddick and Kyra, I was thinking about why I love that movie. My heart always roots for the anti hero. You know the guy-or girl-who saves the world inspite of himself. Who wants to be left alone, but finds out that circumstances are such he has no choice but to fight the bad guy. Now, Riddick only had one purpose in the entire movie and it certainly wasn't saving the planet from the Necromongers (not sure if that's the right name of them) He couldn't care less if they went and destroyed every planet in the galaxy. Hell no. All he wanted was to save the one person who trusted him and believed in him. Ultimately, he causes her death as well. Which is why he stayed away from her to began with. Because as he tells the Elemental "Sister, they don't know what do to with just one of me."

Or another sort of anti-hero..Antonio Banderas' character in THE 13TH WARRIOR. (I'll just call him Ibn like the Northmen do...lol) Ibn suddenly finds himself a reluctant adventurer heading into the uncharted North country with a group of men he can't talk to. They're going to fight a foe he has no idea what it is. He only knows that the big bad Northmen are scared spitless of it. He would prefer to be any where but where he's at. Soon though we watch an evolution from reluctant warrior to hero inspite of himself. Ibn learns to fight, but also that his way isn't the only way or the right way. And he learns "Fear profits a man nothing."

Or what about Samwise Gamgee from the LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy. He was shanghaied into going on this epic journey with Frodo Baggins. He didn't want to save Middle Earth. All he wanted to do was return to Hobbiton where he could garden and pine after Rose. Yet he wouldn't leave his friend behind because he promised Gandalf he wouldn't leave Frodo. Through it all, Sam was Sam. He didn't change. He kept his mind on one goal and it wasn't to destory a ring. It was to go home. Yet in achieving his goal, he helped save the world.

What type of hero do you like? Do you like the ones who rush into save the world out of love and duty? Or do you like the heroes who have to pushed a little to see why risking their lives is for the better good? Or are you like me and root for the man who tends to want to save his own skin and if he saves the world along the way, don't throw him a parade because he hates marchig bands and ticker tape.

Stop by and tell me what type of hero you like or just chat about a character in a movie or book that was a hero in your mind even if he wasn't billed as one. One lucky poster will win a copy of their choice of one book from my Liquid Silver backlist. :) Check them out at Liquid Silver Books .

Can't wait to hear from y'all.

Tiffany Aaron

Passion Know NO Barriers

18 Comments:

Blogger Meljprincess said...

I like all three types of heros you mentioned. As long as the hero is intelligent, kind and has a great sense of humor...it's all good.

The actor that played Samwise Gamgee, Sean Astin, was in THE GOONIES and 50 FIRST DATES. Did ya'll recognize him?

9:44 AM  
Blogger Vanessa Hart said...

Good topic, Tiffany!

My favorite hero is Frank T. Hopkins in HILDAGO. The story begins at Wounded Knee, with his sorrow and guilt leading to unheroic behavior. He's an unreliable drunk in Wild Bill's Wild West Show. The only constant in his life is his mustang, Hildago.

By the end of the movie, (STOP reading here if you've not seen the movie and plan to) we see the true hero he is. He rescues the girl, wins the race, heals the horse, then uses his prize money to save the herds of mustangs from slaughter. He also shows generosity and honor toward the Sheik who originally threatened him. Most of all, he does right by Hidalgo.

Did I mention he's played by Viggo Mortensen? *sigh*

Honorable mentions in my favorite hero catagory: Jamie Fox's character in COLLATERAL, and Jason Bourne in THE BOURNE IDENTITY (as portrayed by Matt Damon, NOT Richard Chamberlain!).

Nessie

9:51 AM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

I'm partial to the wounded hero, who cares because it's who he is, but he doesn't always want to because he knows it's gonna get him into a world of hurt, either physically or emotionally, or both. I can't write that kind of complicated hero--yet. But I'm getting there. :)

I also like the hero who does what he does because he can, or because of the strength of his convictions. He's a good man and cannot stand by and do nothing, and let evil flourish.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Trista Ann Michaels said...

I like the heroes that have been wounded emotionally. The ones who say they'll never love again, until wham! it hits them right between the eyes...:) Even then, they try to deny it. I like them stubborn, arrogant, bold, and always agressive. But despite it all, they're tender and always see that the woman is happy and pleased.

I don't ask for much from my heroes, huh?? LOL.

Trista

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looooove the broken hero. But I also looooove the reluctant hero. A reluctant broken hero? Catch me as I swoon.

The anti-hero. I always root for the anti-hero because he falls reluctantly into the job. He doesn't want to do the job. And he doesn't expect a reward at the end. He figures if he walks away, good enough. He doesn't even expect to get the girl. (and if he's a bit of a bad ass - bonus)

Hubba, hubba.

And I won't even get started on Riddick. (wipes drool from chin) Because, man, oh hubba, hubba. (this is what happens when I start on Riddick. Grrrowf)

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like all three types of heroes. The one anti-hero that comes to mind is Snake from the movie Escape From New York. Talk about anti-heroes, he did what he had to do to save his own skin and if he helped others it was to his benefit. Then in Escape From L.A. he plunged the world back to a time without electricity, IMO, not to keep things balanced but to stick it to the President for making him think he had been poisioned so he would go on the mission.

I haven't seen Riddick yet but I'm hoping to get it and Pitch Black for Christmas. Vin Diesel can play all three types of heroes. He's yummy no matter which part he plays.

Maria

1:49 PM  
Blogger Trista Ann Michaels said...

Ah Riddick...drool

I loved him in Pitch Black and of course I liked Dominic in The Fast and the Furious. Also a good role for Vin. He played that part real well..;)

I could stare at that man all day. sigh

Trista

2:34 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Hart said...

Van Helsing, yes! Love Hugh Jackman! He was sooooo the hero in KATE AND LEOPOLD, although the heroine left me a bit cold in that one.

I'm so not into Vin. Sorry.

Nessie

3:30 PM  
Blogger Caffey said...

Hey Tiffany, we are awake from the long day yesterday. Had fun as with the excerpts. I love being a reader!

I love a strong silent type! You know when the hero is tortured inside maybe from something of his past, but he may keep it inside but he acts out strongly in other areas, to take use up that energy and anger. I like them to be silent in that they are strong and independent.
But I love those that are a talker when being a lover, big smile.
Cathie
PS I'd answer about movies and actors but I don't watch any!

4:27 PM  
Blogger Jaynie said...

I like a hero with lots of angst. Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter heros are the ultimate hero IMO. They're my favourite kind.

In movies I like any hero who beats up the baddies and saves the day - I'm easy in movies lol.

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey anyone still out ther? or is it mudslide time?

6:03 PM  
Blogger Estella said...

I love all types of heroes!!!!

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give me the reluctant hero anyday. Just love them.

Rae Morgan

8:08 PM  
Blogger Dee S Knight and Anne Krist said...

Hi,

My hero must have lots of humor--I can only love a man who makes me laugh--be intelligent, and have a job. My needs are few.

Oh, yeah. Caring, loving, make a great cup of coffee.

Dee

8:24 PM  
Blogger jennyowl said...

I love many kinds of hero but there's something very poignant and admirable about the reluctant hero who gets thrust into circumstances not of his own making and who then rises up to the occasion. I guess that's why I like Harry Potter and Samwise so much.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Caffey said...

Too, Richard Gere, just love his personality, free going, caring, and all those goodies! I remember alot of his earlier movies. I need to see some of the recent ones.
I left to go out to dinner and came back. A quiet night all over.
Cathie
TBRAnxiety

10:56 PM  
Blogger M.L. Rhodes said...

Every post here I read I was going, "Yes, yes, yes!!" Man, everyone mentioned some great heroes/anti-heroes. I have to admit that I'm partial to the emotionally tortured hero. Vin Diesel's character in A Man Apart is a classic example. And Riddick in Chronicles of... What is is about Vin Diesel? LOL!

1:21 AM  
Blogger Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

I love Nicholas Cage in Gone in 60 Seconds. Just love him. I really dig the quirky hero with a sense of humor. Gets me every time.

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders