Saturday, December 10, 2005

Random Thoughts on Christmas

I’ve noticed a subtle change in the air this holiday season. For one thing, more people seem to be saying Merry Christmas, and I’m happy about that. Before you write and say I’m an insensitive clout, I love hearing people saying Happy Hanukah, too, and I’ll gladly shout it out if I know to. Kwanza, I’m sorry. I don’t know what it is or what it’s for exactly. If I were a child in school I’m sure I would, but I’m an old bat and past learning new holidays. I know (I think) that it’s a celebratory time, and that’s good enough for me. Christmas I know, so that’s what I’m going to talk about.

As I said, I’m no longer a youthful chick. Over the years, I’ve seen a huge change in people’s approach to Christmas. When I was young—long after the age of dinosaurs, no matter what anyone says—I remember advent candles and evergreens hanging in the church. As the big day got closer, there was a manger scene in the front and Mom would lead me past so I could see Baby Jesus wasn’t there yet. The big store windows in downtown –I remember Yonker’s Department Store especially—always had moving figures that amazed and delighted, not just displays of merchandise. People did actually stop and “oooh” and “ahhh.”

When I was little, we lived in northwest Iowa and attended St. Casimir Catholic Church, named for the Lithuanian saint. I’m not sure it’s still in use now, but it was a beautiful parish church, old-fashioned with stained glass, votive candles for prayers and statues. Lots of statues. Mass was always on Sunday. None of this Saturday evening stuff so you could sleep late on Sunday mornings. Except for Christmas.

Christmas meant I got to stay up late for Midnight Mass. I’m not sure I ever stayed awake through Midnight Mass, but just going was a treat. There were lots of decorations, lots of candles. Everyone dressed up, even though we all crunched through the snow to get there. This was a parish church. Didn’t need to drive—it was close enough to walk. A good half hour before the service, the whole congregation sang Christmas carols. I knew all of them—at least the first verses—and I belted them out like I was Ethel Merman, except not quite in tune. Eventually, the priest came in and the alter boys in their red and white, and the Mass began, in Latin. I did learn the Latin later on, but back then, it was a nice droning tone to sleep by. And on the way out, Mom made it a point to show me Baby Jesus was in the manger, just like the song said. I was happy. All was right with the world.

What I’m trying to say is, Christmas was special. I know, I’m making it sound like a Norman Rockwell painting. I’m not a Pollyanna—I realize not everything was as it seemed to a child. But I have to admit, I miss the unique, specialness of Christmas. (Jeez, this is no doubt a sign of very advancing age!)

So, all of that is leading up to a few questions. What is your favorite Christmas, Hanukah or Kwanza memory? What is the best gift you ever received for Christmas, Hanukah or Kwanza? What is the secret gift you desperately wanted but didn’t receive?

Now to a different subject. I love some of the secular aspects of the season, too. Jack would tell you (if you ever met him and asked), that I usually wake up at 4 or 4:30 on Christmas morning. Of course I wake him up, too, because I have to share that I hear sleigh bells. It’s true, I swear! He doesn’t appreciate this phenomenon as much as I do, but I wake him, anyway.

I enjoy the color and glitz. I love the stores all done up in red, green, silver, gold and blue. I love the Salvation Army bellringers who are always so cheerful. I even love the commercials on TV.

I have to admit, a few years ago I noticed many of the ads were loud and brash and not enjoyable to watch at all. But this year they seem much better. I particularly like the Anhauser Busch Clydesdales ad. It’s been around for lots of years, and always makes me feel happy. I’ve come to love the Capitol One pillagers ads, and just the other day I saw a whole commercial of sleeping babies. In the background a woman sang Silent Night—it was so pretty. There’s a champagne commercial that only runs for New Years (is it Andres?) that has such class and sparkle! Do you watch commercials? Which seasonal ads ring your bells?

Answer one or all of the above questions (or just post and say hello!) and you might win a download of Resolutions, a book written by Vanessa Hart, Leigh Wyndfield, Jasmine Haynes, and me, Dee S. Knight, about four friends who meet each New Years Eve to share the previous year’s resolution.


A few years ago, my mom asked what I wanted for Christmas. I replied that I didn’t know—there wasn’t anything I needed. I didn’t mean it as a flip comment. There really wasn’t anything I needed.

I was blessed then. I’m blessed now. Most of us are.

For those who aren’t, we are each responsible for our own little section of the world. Don’t forget The Salvation Army, the Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots, your church food drives or whatever organization you know that improves the world with love. And please don’t forget our military who are far from home and family! Make a resolution to send a card or letter a week to a service person away from home, and see how good it makes YOU feel!

Thanks for humoring my little trip down memory lane! Whichever special day you celebrate, I wish you joy and happiness and love!

Dee

15 Comments:

Blogger Meljprincess said...

The secret gift I desperately wanted but didn’t receive? Peace on earth.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Dee S Knight and Anne Krist said...

Hi, chibi-hentai. Love and hope and faith--what better gifts are there? Glad I could spark some good memories. I know your necklace meant the world to your mom in a time of great stress!

As for Hallmark, I love 'em, but in my heart of hearts, I think they make up holidays to sell more cards! lol

Meljprincess, absolutely!! That's a gift we all wish for. I wonder if we'll ever see it.

When I wrote the question of what you wanted but didn't get, I wasn't quite on the same lofty plane as peace on earth. In my case, it was a toy gas station. I was 6 and my parents thought girls shouldn't play with such things. Or maybe it was too expensive--as a kid I didn't think about things like COST.

Dee

10:15 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Good morning and Merry Christmas, Dee.

So many questions to answer and so little time. I have to take my son to school, after finally dragging him out of bed ten minutes late.

I'll try to get back later and post at least one answer to your many questions ~smiles~.

Have a great day everyone.
Michelle Hoppe
www.michellehoppe.com

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Favorite Christmas memory? I'll have to think about that. Okay. I thought.

I can't remember how old I was but I remember getting up early (so I obviously wasn't a teenager) and going to "scope" out the gifts. I walked out and there, before our a scrawny Charlie Brown tree were two brown boxes.

Not wrapped.

Just brown boxes.

One had "To Bro love Santa." and one "To Me love Santa". I sat there wondering why Santa, the God of Presents had misspelled my name wrong. In fact, isn't that the way my dad spells it? And...isn't that Dad's writing? Then I leaned over the box and saw the shipping label to his work. Sweet.

Perhaps if Santa had bothered to wrap my present I would have sat in front of the tree, scowling with the realization of who the God of Presents was when everyone woke up. I would have been giddy. Ecstatic. Instead, Santa was a lazy man who had frantically grabbed two boxes from work to dump our presents in. Sweet.

Then we went to my grandparents' house. This, I thought, would be good because well...Santa visited there too! My stocking was handed over. One mandarin orange in the toe, a couple of plastic toys that broke within hours, chocolate, candy can. One tag: To Me love Santa. Head tilts to the side. Hm. Doesn't that look just like Grandpa's writing?

Sad day in Jennaland. Very sad. And yeah - that's my favorite Christmas memory. Well...it's the one that stands out.

I said nothing to my younger bro though (aren't I the devoted sister) and began to ask for extravagent presents that made the God of Presents' eyes bulge. It was a beautiful moment.

This year will rock though. Nephew is one, walking, destructive. The love of my life. It's all good.

Toy I wanted but never got? Last year. My parents asked me what I wanted "ipod" was my unhesitant answer because I'm cheap and won't buy one myself. There it was. A small gift bag, just the right size for an ipod. Huh...awfully light though. Heart pounding (I still get really excited over presents) I ripped out the tissue paper and stared...at a brown acryllic scarf that made me itch with...a stuffed reindeer's head on each end. It was the scarf for a kid. I sat there. "Niiiice," I said while wondering what delicious present my brother got. And thinking "I can't get a guy with this? Are you kidding me? They'll take one look at me and run...fast." I gave the scarf to my friend's daughter so, alas, last year I never really got a Christmas present. It still burns my ass. Yeah - I'm 32. Can't ya tell?

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello and Merry Christmas to you Dee and everyone who reads this. =)

My favourite memory would be going to my gran’s house for Christmas dinner, it was a true family occasion with my aunts and uncles and their families all there.

Pity it’s not quite the same now that everyone has their own family Christmas with their immediate family. But boy do we make up for it in between Christmas and Hogmanay! lol

Kyla
www.kylalogan.com

10:46 AM  
Blogger Dee S Knight and Anne Krist said...

Michelle, it was very late when I wrote this blog and I was overflowing with questions. Lucky I hadn't just watched the Hallmark Christmas special or A Charlie Brown Christmas, or I would have been blubbering as well as asking things. I'm looking forward to your answers later!

Hey, Jenna. Well, you have vivid memories of Christmas, anyway. :) And you WERE a good sister for not spilling the beans to your brother. I was a teen when I asked Mom to leave something out under the tree unwrapped from "Santa." That was because I got up so early, I still wanted something tolook at while I waited for all the lazy-heads to get up at 6:00. LOL

Maybe next year you should ask for a scarf with reindeer heads? Would reverse psychology work?

10:52 AM  
Blogger Dee S Knight and Anne Krist said...

Kyla, those big family gatherings are the best, I agree! This year we're going to stay her in St. Louis, my mom and aunt will be in Virginia and brother and sister in law will be in Chicago. But we did spend Thanksgiving together.

Thanks for posting! One of these days I'd like to spend the holidays in Scotland!

Dee

10:55 AM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, heck. I responded to this post before and it was really witty. Really. But, alas, it was lost somewhere in cyberspace, so ya'll will have to take my word for it that it was witty.

My childhood was much too long ago to remember specific gifts. I'm sure I at some point probably wanted a Barbie that I didn't get, because I'm the youngest of four and, even with working 50-hour weeks, my dad just wasn't going to spend the money on a present that would end up with all its hair chopped off.

As far as commercials go, I'm probably one of the few people who enjoy watching commercials. I like to find those jewels that are so incredibly clever you wish you were the one that had come up with the idea. Like the new Halls commercial with the Big, Bad Wolf and the Three Pigs. And the CitiCard commercials on identity theft... To see a middle aged man in his tattered robe sitting there and talking with a valley girl voice, "Fifteen hundred dollars for a leather bustier? I didn't care. It lifts and separates." Clever.

And I'm with you on the Capital One pillagers--my favorite is the one with Ivan the Great on the little kiddie train (one of the earlier ones, not for the holidays). I also like the Heineken 'Holiday Five-Pack' commercial.

Great topic, Dee!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Dee S Knight and Anne Krist said...

You're so right about the commercial on identity theft--they're all good. And those for California Cheese are other non-holiday ads I can watch over and over.

Strangely enough, I never wanted a Barbie--and I was around when they first came out. I suppose I knew even then that figure was something I'd never attain...

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holiday Memories. Hmmm, well, leaving cookies and Seven Up out for Santa -- my Santa liked his sugary treats. :)

Oh and going downtown to Wolf and Dessauer (later LS Ayres) to see the Christmas window and sit on Santa's lap.

My best present was my original Barbie and the dollhouse. I can't remember not getting what I wanted because my mom worked and tried hard to get us stuff. Of course we had to limit what we wanted to three things.

I love the pillaging Capital One commercials. My kind of humor.

Rae Morgan

3:54 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Hart said...

Dee, you've posed good questions. I've had to give them each some thought. Here goes.

My favorite Christmas memory?
When we lived in Jacksonville, FL, we had a tradition with another couple. Each Christmas eve, we attended candlelight service (brought all the family, including my parents and in-laws), came home to our house to eat cookies (baked by my younger daughter) and drink egg nog (made by moi. I love the stuff!). Then we'd ride around in selected neighborhoods to view Christmas lights. We've moved away, all the kids are grown and gone, all parents but my m-i-l have passed away, but I still keep in touch with those friends and cherish those fond Christmas memories.

What is the best gift I ever received for Christmas?
My family was poor and I rarely got a lot of gifts (nor did I expect any). But one Christmas day, when I was about 13, one of my dad's friends who owned a chain of department stores (my dad raised chickens for him) brought me a pair of Bass Weejuns as a Christmas gift. He was Jewish, incidently, and that somehow made the gesture all the more touching to me. For you younger folks, Bass Weejuns were THE thing back in the 60s. I may have been one of the poorer kids in my 8th grade class, but I was the FIRST to have Weejuns! To this day, I can't fully explain how much I loved this present. Mom bought me shoe polish and I faithfully polished my Weejuns weekly. For years!

What is the secret gift I desperately wanted but didn’t receive?

An amplifier for my electric guitar when I was 16. I'd been taking guitar lessons and bought a used electric but couldn't afford the amp to go with it. In retrospect, I think Mom and Dad made a wise decision on that one! *LOL*

Merry Christmas, everybody, and happy holidays. Many blessings for 2006.

Nessie

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My family isn't Christian, so we don't technically celebrate Christmas. But I always get fantastic presents, anyway, because my parents (and brother!) are fantastic :)

I remember one year when ALL I wanted was an American Girl doll -- I wanted Samantha. Didn't get her for my birthday, but on Christmas, there she was, with a lot of adorable accessories.

A couple years before that, all I wanted was a Belle doll, but my mom couldn't find it, anywhere. So she got me an Ariel doll, from The Little Mermaid, and the Beauty and the Beast videocassette to compensate for the lack of Belle. (This must make me sound very young, but don't worry -- I just liked dolls a LOT!)

She's still looking for the perfect Belle doll :) Seriously. We were at the toy store, looking for a baby shower gift for my cousin a few months ago, and my mom went to check out the Disney Princesses collection for me! LOL! Oh, and I have a stuffed Pongo from 101 Dalmations, as well, also a Christmas gift.

Last year, my brother bought me a pink ipod-mini, because he got tired of watching me lug a backpack around when I went traveling. Took him 3 weeks to track down a pink one, but he refused to get another color, because he knows pink's my fave :)

Best gift ever was on my bday, though -- my parents gave me my dog. Nothing can top that.

Lily

9:38 PM  
Blogger Darragha! said...

I'm Buddhist (SGI-USA). The greed fest of the holiday season irks me royally. But I'm chanting about that! We enjoy all customary traditions. Our Christmas Tree is a potted rosemary. Our gifts are useful and/or handmade.

The big day for us, seasonally speaking, is New Year's Day.

So...Happy New Year!

Darragha

10:35 PM  
Blogger Dee S Knight and Anne Krist said...

Nessie, for me it was Garland sweaters. With my feet and back problems, Weejuns were never in the picture. I finally did get a Garland sweater before I went off to college, and discovered (well, duh!) there was nothing special about them. We never had any money either—the military back then made chicken feed. But I was never disappointed by Christmas. There was always lots of love, a good meal, time together. What more could I ask for?

Paige, as a mother you have lots of great memories ahead of you just waiting to be made!! How wonderful and exciting!

Rosemary would make a beautiful holiday tree, Darragha! Smells wonderful, too. And I give handmade gifts and love to receive them. Gifts from the heart mean so much.

Lily, it sounds as though you’ve had some great gifts. More than the gifts themselves is the love your relatives showed by really looking for the perfect item for you. They gave their time as well as the gift!

Rae, the original pillaging commercial where they storm the mall and go by the perfume sprayer always makes me laugh!

Dee

11:06 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Hart said...

Rosemary would make a beautiful holiday tree, Darragha! Smells wonderful, too. And I give handmade gifts and love to receive them. Gifts from the heart mean so much.

I'm hoping to get a new rosemary tree this Christmas. Love rosemary, cook with it often. It smells amazing, planted right by my patio door!

Nessie

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders