Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Loving Fate


WooHoo!! I love the "Morning After!" And it is technically still morning even though I'm a bit late.

Loving Fate is the second book in the Fate series (if you'd like to read the 'morning after' post for Tempting Fate, it was on May 23) and features the spinner of the thread of life Lacy (Lachesis). She's the most sensitive of the three Fates and her heart is breaking for single father Noah after the death of his daughter.

I really love this book as writing it was a different experience for me. As I was writing, I think I was more aware of style and tone for this one than most of the other books I've written. Mostly because it deals with a difficult subject.

Plus, for those of you that have already read Tempting Fate, you get a chance to go back to visit with Chloe and Tanner.

And to end, here's a kind of simple, but fun excerpt of the entire Moraie family at dinner the night Noah appears on Mount Olympus.

Noah sat down next to Lacy.
She passed him a plate heaped with food.
All eyes were on him when he took his first bite of potato salad.
His eyes closed in ecstasy. He pulled the fork out from between his teeth slowly.
“This ... this is almost orgasmically good.”
As soon as he said it, Noah thought maybe that wasn’t the best thing to say to the
family of a girl you fucked earlier in the day.
But God, was the food good.
He shoveled another bite into his mouth.
“You might want to slow down.”
It was one of Lacy’s sisters that spoke.
The three of them were absolutely amazing. They looked almost exactly alike except
for their hair and eyes.
Noah was already used to Lacy’s blue eyes and blond hair. She looked like an angel.
Chloe was just about the complete opposite with raven black hair and bright green eyes.
And then there was Atty with brown eyes and auburn brown hair.
Who were these girls anyway?
“So, have you figured out what I’m doing here yet?”
“Yeah, that’s definitely my fault,” Tanner said. “I still don’t know exactly how I did
it, but well, I brought you here.”
“And where exactly is here?”
He thought maybe he’d talked about that with Tanner earlier, before the incident
with the tea, but he’d been too overcome with lust for Lacy to remember if he ever
actually got an answer.
“Mnt Olms,” Tanner slurred.
Chloe laughed and Atty rolled her eyes.
“I’m sorry. What was that?”
“Mount Olympus,” Atty answered, enunciating each syllable.
“Mount Olympus? Like I’m in ancient Greece?” Noah laughed, but trailed off when
no one joined in with him.
“No,” Atty corrected. “Like modern day Mount Olympus.”
“What in the hell are you talking about?”
He looked around frantically, waiting for someone to start laughing, to tell him this
was all a joke, but no one did.
It was Lacy’s voice that soothed him when he was about to jump up from the table
and run out of the room. She reached over and put her hand on his.
“Sorry, Noah, but it’s the truth.”
“But ... how?”
“Unfortunately, we don’t know that.”
“Are you like gods or something?”
“We’re...” Atty started, but Lacy interrupted.
“Or something. I promise I’ll explain it all in good time.”
“But I don’t believe in gods and goddesses.”
Maybe if he said something like that he could get them to go away. And then what?
End up alone back in his stupid farmhouse that he was looking to sell anyway?
“It doesn’t really matter if you believe or not. We’re here.”
As delectable as the food looked, Noah suddenly found himself without an appetite.
“Hey. If we’re really on Mount Olympus, shouldn’t we be eating ambrosia or
something?”
Tanner laughed as he took a big bite of his cheeseburger.
“Dude, we’re on Mount Olympus. We can eat whatever the hell we want.”
That did make a certain amount of sense.
“If you’ll excuse me, I’m not feeling so hot,” Noah said. That tea must have done
more of a number on him than he’d thought. “I think I’ll skip dinner and go get some
air.”
Lacy rose as if to accompany him.
“Alone,” he added.

OK, I said the excerpt was going to be the end, but I forgot about a giveaway - I love giveaways! And I'm going to make things easy - all you have to do is comment and you'll be entered to win a download of Loving Fate.

Enjoy your last day of spring!

Emma
http://www.EmmaSinclair.com

10 Comments:

Blogger Cindy A. Matthews said...

Great excerpt, Emma! :)

As "Fate" would have it, today was my "morning after" blog, too. ;)

11:07 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Y. said...

Great excerpt!!!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds good!

12:52 PM  
Blogger Estella said...

Sounds like a good book.

3:24 PM  
Blogger jennyowl said...

Sounds great, Emma!

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Excerpt!

4:30 PM  
Blogger LISA WILLIAMS said...

I like the sound of this book

9:24 PM  
Blogger Deborah Chan said...

I have to put on my to buy list.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Shuck Ying said...

I love the excerpt.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Meljprincess said...

Hi Emma, I enjoyed the excerpt. On my last day of spring I watched "Goldmember", "So I Married an Axe Murderer", and lightning outside my living room window. Laughed and shook at the same time.

It was a night of Mike Myers.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders