Thursday, April 06, 2006

What's in a name?

Damn, y’all. I hate to follow Michelle Hoppe on a blog day. Her blogs are always killer—fun and informative. I’d never have heard of horny goat weed if not for Michelle, and I know my life wouldn’t be as full and meaningful. Honestly, Friday is my anniversary—this makes many, many years Jack has had the pleasure of calling me his bride—and little does he know his sloppy Joe anniversary dinner might be liberally sprinkled with horny goat weed. Or maybe he’d enjoy body frosting more. Do they sell that in bulk, Michelle?

Okay, now to my subject. What’s in a name? I recently finished a proposal for a non-erotic manuscript. It’s about a woman who comes face to face with her father who deserted the family thirty-one years before. This story has been knocking around in my empty little head for a couple of years now, so writing the proposal was easy. Naming the darn thing was AWFUL! My pal, Vanessa Hart, had a great name she gave me, but I was talked out of it. I finally settled on a name Jack came up with: Expectations. It’s not a great name, though it fits the story. It’s just not something that hit me between the eyes and knocked me out with its perfection.

Usually book names aren’t difficult for me. I often think of the name before starting to write or half way through the project. Even if I get all the way to the end, a name comes to mind without much trouble. I don’t know why this was so hard.

So, here’s a challenge for you. If you look on my Coming Soon page, you’ll see two books there. One is currently titled Time of Flight, and the heroine is named Merrick. If, after reading the brief description, you have a better idea for a title or heroine name, post here and tell me.

If you’d rather conjure up a wonderful name for the sequel to Passionate Destiny, I’d appreciate it. I don’t have any idea what to name it, although I’d thought to use the word “destiny” in the title. If you know the story of Passionate Destiny, this will concern the unborn son at the end. His name is Aaron. Give me your best ideas for a book title and the heroine’s name. Please!

I’ll pick the answer(s) I like best and will put them in the pot for consideration. I’m starting to write the time travel book next week. If I use your suggestion for either book, I’ll certainly give you credit. And for now, your prize will be any book in Liquid Silver’s library.

Thanks for your help!

Dee

13 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Good morning Dee,

~smiles~ I think a sprinkle of horny goat weed will spice up not only the sloppy joe's but the night as well, LOL. I'm sure they must sell body frosting by the case somewhere, darlin. I recommend the chocolate.

Many congrats on finishing Expectations - I wait expectently for it's release.

Oy's titles, hmmmm this will take some thought...let me get more coffee and I'll see if I can summon any brain cells to the task.

Michelle Hoppe

12:41 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Y. said...

Hmm...I am not very good at this, but I'll try.

I like your title for Time of Flight and the heroine's name. The only other title suggestion that I could think of would be Take-Off...or Lift-Off...Flying High.

As for your sequel...hmm...how about for titles:
Destiny's Son
Daring Destiny
Undeniable Destiny
Romantic Destiny
Delightful Destiny
Rapturous Destiny
Divine Destiny
Destiny's Splendor

And for heroine names...not sure what type of person she is, but here are some names that I like (and can be used for either book):
Katie or Caitlyn
Grace
Mallory
Eve
Claire
Anna
Abigail

Hope I helped some...like I said I am not good at this!!

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the title for your first novel should be "Touch the Stars"
Maybe the second should be Timeless Love
cyn

2:15 PM  
Blogger Dee S Knight and Anne Krist said...

Michelle, chocolate is what I would have to choose, 'cause if there's anything in the world Jack loves more than me, it's... Yes, you guessed it. Come to think of it, he might love caramel more than me. And good crab cakes, and... This has suddenly become depressing.

If you;re bad at naming things, Jennifer, I'd hate to see you whip something you're GOOD at! These are great names--thanks!

Cyn, "Touch the Stars" is great, as is "Timeless Love". Why didn't I think of those? Since the sequel to Passionate Destiny is going to be based on reincarnation, "Timeless Love" is very fitting.

Thanks, y'all!

2:37 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Hart said...

OK, here's my input. I like return to sequels, i.e. Return to Peyton Place, so I'd suggest Return to Palmyra. Unless, of course, it's set someplace other than Palmyra.

Nessie.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Hart said...

I forgot to say, "Return" fits into reincarnation, too. Just a thought.

Nessie

2:56 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Y. said...

To go with what Vanessa said, Return to Destiny might work for the second one. This is my my last suggestion...I think.

Thanks for thinking that I am good at this. It is really kind of fun...I don't get to do this as just a reader.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Dee S Knight and Anne Krist said...

"Return" is a good thing to use--thanks, Nessie!

And Jennifer, are you for hire? LOL

3:44 PM  
Blogger jennyowl said...

Title suggestions for the sequel to Passionate Destiny:

Timeless Destiny
Destiny Without End
Destiny's Cycle
Legacy of Destiny
Destiny's Legacy
Awakening Destiny
Destiny's Awakening
Destiny's Incarnation

Name suggestions for Aaron's heroine:

Grace
Joyce
Kathleen
Kay
Lily
Lisa
Mabel
Macy
Megan
Samantha
Siobhan

7:28 PM  
Blogger Dee S Knight and Anne Krist said...

Neat ideas, Jennybrat! In fact, your "Destiny's Cycle" leads me to think "Destiny's Circle," which I also like.

Dee

9:55 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Y. said...

Or you could switch that around and say "Circle of Destiny" Stopping now! LOL

10:34 PM  
Blogger Dee S Knight and Anne Krist said...

"Circle of Destiny"--I like it. We could take it all a step frther and say "Infinitely Looping Destiny", lol.

Dee

10:38 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Hart said...

How about RETURN TO HORNY GOAT WEED?

Nutty Nessie

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders