Sunday, April 09, 2006

My favorite “hunk” is…?



Hello everyone. This is my first time blogging here at “SE x”. Please be gentle with me.

My first Liquid Silver book is scheduled to be released in late May or early June. It’s called Help! I’m Falling for the Vampire Next Door. And yes, it features a tall, dark and sexy vampire hero and a heroine who knows her way around the bedroom.

I’ve been around for a while. (I won’t say how long I’ve been around at the risk of dating myself—badly.) I’ve seen what’s popular and what’s not so popular in romantic fiction come and go—and then come around again. My basic tastes haven’t changed that much, but it seems everyone else’s have, again and again.

So, in order to find out what’s “in” and what’s “out” for today’s romantic fiction reader, I thought I'd create a poll and find out your opinions. Leave your answers as well as you explanations in the “comments” section of this blog. All set? All right let’s go.

1. My favorite romantic hunk is…

A. Tall, dark and ruggedly, “bad-boy” handsome. He’s dangerous and mysterious, but the heroine eventually tames him and makes him her own.

B. Fair, brawny, Navy SEAL-ish or cowboy-ish, possessing the physical strength of Superman on steroids. He takes no prisoners and leaves no hearts unbroken, but the heroine manages to capture his in due course.

C. Average looking, nerdy, but with a heart of gold. Although outwardly not quite as appealing as other romantic heroes, the heroine sees through this guy’s shy exterior and ultimately discovers that he’s a diamond in the rough. True love and happiness soon blossom.

D. An alien—either from outer space or from an exotic, distant land and/or time. He could be a combination of archetypes, but his alien nature pervades how he woos and makes love to the heroine. “The Sheikh meets Star Wars” would be a likely title I’d pick up.

E. Something completely different than anything listed above.


2. My favorite romantic heroine is…

A. Drop-dead, fashion model gorgeous. Her figure is perfect, her hair is perfect, her teeth are perfect and she leads the most perfect life with oodles of cash and a credit card with no limit. The hero finds her shallow and materialistic at first, but he digs deeper and uncovers her true beauty underneath all the glamour and glitz.

B. An “older woman” (over 35 years of age) who has been around the block a few time and isn’t looking for love this time out. The hero has a different idea, however, and chases this self-assured, independent gal until she succumbs to his sexy charm—both in and out of the bedroom.

C. A modern day “Cinderella”. She may possess physical beauty and intelligence, but it’s been buried beneath emotional scars of indifference or outright abuse. The hero gently woos her and brings out her inner strengths, including her latent sexuality, so at last that she becomes the woman she was meant to be.

D. A “bigger is beautiful” heroine who’s proud of her body and her sexuality. She doesn’t starve herself to look like the magazine covers, and the hero appreciates her honesty, her gusto for life and her screaming orgasms.

E. Something completely different than anything listed above



3. My favorite romantic plot is…

A. The hero swoops down off his jungle vine, white horse, flying saucer or NASCAR speedster and knocks the heroine off her feet and into his sexy, brawny arms with little resistance on her part. (She enjoys the “capture”.)

B. The hero broods about his dark, painful past while the heroine does her best to bring him out of his moods and into her arms (bedroom) where sexual healing can begin to make him whole.

C. The hero and heroine are thrown together under unusual circumstances and have to make the best of things—which ultimately leads them to discover their mutual attraction in the bedroom among other places.

D. Something completely different than anything listed above

4. My favorite romantic setting is…

A. Nowadays in the good ol’ U.S. of A. (or at least Canada, Great Britain or Australia). It’s a setting I’m familiar with, be it a small town or a mega-metropolis.

B. Long ago in a mysterious and exotic foreign land. It’s the “princess in the castle fantasy” to the extreme.

C. In the far distance future, in a far off galaxy, where human beings may be few and far between but the human traits of love and devotion still reign supreme.

D. Something completely different than anything listed above.


5. My favorite level of sensuality in romantic fiction is…

A. Sweet and traditional. If the hero and heroine share a kiss by story’s end, I’m more than happy.

B. Simmering sensuality with some consummated love scenes as the hero and heroine get to know each other better. A wedding ring makes the sex even better.

C. Sexy and sassy right out of the chute. They can’t wait to rip each other’s clothes off and get it on right then and there on the desk. Hand cuffs and vibrators work, too.

D. The more the merrier—as long as both partners are okay with it, why not bring along a few other friends to join in the fun?

E. Something completely different than anything listed above.


6. My favorite length of romantic fiction read is…

A. As long and as in depth as Margaret Mitchell’s Gone With the Wind.

B. Short and sweet and sizzling—novellas are great, short stories even better.

C. Somewhere in the middle. Sometimes I enjoy reading a longer story and sometimes I enjoy reading something shorter. It depends on my mood, the story and/or the author.

D. Something completely different than anything listed above.


Okay, that’s enough for now. Be sure to share your insights in the comments box. Thanks. This “old dog” would really like to see if she needs to learn a few “new tricks” to keep up with today’s romantic fiction readers. And I give everyone an “A+” for sharing their answers!

P.S. I may post this poll around the ‘net and gather a few more responses, too. I’ll post the final, final results in my e-newsletter “Celine’s Dreams”. Sign up for it at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celinesdreams

P.P.S. I don't have a contest going quite yet, but I've got some chapter excerpts I'm willing to give out to anyone who'd care for them. Just email me at celinechatillon @hotmail.com (no spaces) and put "Chapter excerpts" in the subject line. Thanks!

10 Comments:

Blogger LISA WILLIAMS said...

1.A 2.B 3.C 4.A 5.C 6.C

baring all those choices I made, I read almost anything :)

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So a bad boy hero with an older woman in a contemporary setting where they're thrown together by circumstances and enjoy some hot moments in the sack... Interesting!

When folks like the "younger male--older female" romance, how big a gap in ages should there be do you think? :)

3:59 PM  
Blogger LadyVampire2u said...

Interesting Survey...
1-A,2-C & E (A heroine who is tough and independent. She knows the world isn’t safe and cuddly and can handle it just fine. She thinks she doesn’t need anyone and survival-wise she is right but emotionally she is wrong. She’s a woman who needs love just like anyone else and in some cases, much more then anyone else.), 3-C,4- I don’t mind the setting much as long as the author describes it well enough and I can follow the story. , 5-B , 6- All lengths of books appeal to me.

3:22 AM  
Blogger Bonnie Dee said...

A have a couple of mixtures in the mix.
1. A/C
2. C/E-an average Jane
3. C
4. A
5. B without the wedding
6. C

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I like tough, independent heroines, too.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Keep posting them or you can email your thoughts at celinechatillon @ hotmail.com (no spaces). I'm not sure how long I'll run this informal poll, but the insights are invaluable, I feel.

You gotta know what readers want in their fiction if you want to hit the best-seller lists! :)

4:23 PM  
Blogger Caffey said...

Hi Celene. First, I've been reading up about your VAMPIRE book and can't wait!! When Ithink of a hunk, for like a contemp story, I think of Richard Gere, very loving, so attentive to the heroine, sexy and all. Then when I think of a paranormal, like a vamp, I'm thinking of Andrei Claude (I know i'm spelling his name wrong) but I love those heros that are strong, a beauty, protective of his heroine, quiet type when it comes to revealing himself (but it comes out eventually) and who's a good talker during love making, etc.
So based on all you did, I'm guessing this with the survey:
1.-A
2.-E
3.-C
4.-B
5.-C
6.-C

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to hearing the results

5:15 PM  
Blogger Melanie L said...

Hi Celine! I hadn't been to SEx in a while, and just saw your post today. I hope you won't mind my answering it now.

1. My favorite romantic hunk is…

May I have a mix of A, B and D, please? So, Tall, dark and ruggedly, “bad-boy” handsome. He’s dangerous and mysterious [...] plus, brawny, [...] possessing the physical strength of Superman on steroids and An alien—either from outer space or from an exotic, distant land and/or time. He could be a combination of archetypes, but his alien nature pervades how he woos and makes love to the heroine. Um, am I weird, or what?

2. My favorite romantic heroine is…

A cross between C & D, A modern day “Cinderella” in a “bigger is beautiful” heroine body.

3. My favorite romantic plot is…

Oh, definitely C, unusual circumstances!

4. My favorite romantic setting is…

Actually, it depends on my mood. I don't have a clear favourite.

5. My favorite level of sensuality in romantic fiction is…

With the advent of e-published romantic erotica, I have discovered that I prefer C, sexy and sassy right of the bat. *blush*

6. My favorite length of romantic fiction read is…

Most definitely A. I love a long read!

Thanks for opportunity to answer this survey, Céline. Very interesting!

Mélanie

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Cathie and Melanie for your answers.

Those "bad boys" are real popular! LOL

I like how people are "mixing" their favorite hero/heroine and settings... A little big bad boy with computer nerd, etc. I think that's one of the strengths of e-published fiction. Unlike the big print publishers, e-pubs like LSB are much more open to "cross genre" romantic fiction. It's a perfect place to try different combinations and come up with new and exciting stories... A win-win situation for writers and readers alike.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Cindy A. Matthews said...

Here's an interesting article that shows that while women enjoy dating "bad boys" it's the "good guys" who finish first in the long run! :)

http://msn.match.com/msn/article.aspx?articleid=6126&TrackingID=516311&BannerID=562427&menuid=6>1=7964

9:43 AM  
Blogger Vanessa Hart said...

Here are Nessie's answers:
1. C
2. B
3. C
4. A
5. B
6. C

Overall, I guess I like realistic and believable. I can see a 35 year-old heroine and a nerd thrown together in unusual circumstances falling for each other and all over each other *LOL*

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders