Monday, February 13, 2006

What Place Do You Like To Visit?


Woo-Hoo! It’s my turn to blog again. Bet y’all couldn’t wait for that, huh? Lol.

What I want to talk about today is settings in stories. What I mean is..where the story takes place.

Do you like your stories to take place in familiar settings? Towns you’ve visited personally. Cities where you can say yes, I know exactly where that street is or where that bar might be.

Do you like exotic locations like the Amazon where jaguars stalk and you’re never sure what might be waiting around the bend in the trail. Sites where you feel closer to the ancients gods than anywhere else in the world.

Or do you like far off galaxies where creatures and things we’ve never even thought of live? Planets that take a life time to get to, but are so worth the trip to go and see.

Personally, I love stories that take place in the Amazon. Not sure why, but there’s mystery in the river and the jungle that grows along the water. No matter how much we already know about it, there is still so much more we can learn. It’s the perfect setting for any type of story whether it’s a shapeshifting jaguar playing in the river, a time-traveling archaeologist caught in the time of the Mayans or a spaceman landing to make contact.

But I know that other readers love Ireland, England or Australia. Maybe Egypt is the setting you like the most.

I’d love to hear what places you like to visit when you’re reading. Are you more likely to buy a book with a certain setting over another? Are there settings/countries/places you’d like to see more stories take place in?

I’ll be checking in throughout the day. Thanks for stopping by.

Tiffany

Passion Knows NO Barrier

14 Comments:

Blogger A J said...

I love to read of far-away places with strange sounding names - be they on this world or another. One of my favorite locales for this world is Paris, a place I've been fortunate enough to visit twice. It's wonderful to stand on the Butte Montmartre at night, with the city spread out below. Or to lean on the parapet of the Pont Neuilly and watch the purple dusk creeping out from under the trees by the Seine.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Dee S Knight and Anne Krist said...

I love to read about new places. Books set in unknown places often stimulate an interest in wanting to go there.

But I also like to read of places I know--those books stimulate memories.

Dee
www.deesknight.com

10:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like to read about exotic places and far off galaxies. I have just within the last year started reading fantasy books. I love them. I think it great that an author can think of different galaxies with different aliens, creatures, etc. and write a great story. I like to read about places that I haven't been either.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Cynthya said...

I like books set in my favorite cities like New Orleans, London and New York, but I also like to learn about places I haven't been. I'd probably be less likely to pick up a book set in Detroit, Cleveland, etc. (I'm sure those cities have wonderful qualities but I'm being honest here!) I love when authors create their own worlds, too.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love stories set in fantasy worlds and other galaxies. I also love stories from Regency England. Books in a romantic city like New Orleans or the bayous of Louisiana are also exciting. Nothing like a Cajun hero speaking in that sexy accent. Makes me melt into a puddle.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Meljprincess said...

That's what I love about reading! You visit places you've been, places you'd like to visit and places that don't exist.

I enjoy all the settings you described. Love reading books that take place in England and Scotland.

It is really cool to read a book and be able to say "OH, I've been there and seen that."

11:23 AM  
Blogger Maura Anderson said...

I love all sorts of settings but my top couple are fanstasy/sci fi settings and Scotland (my ancestral homeland).

I've found that with books set in the city I live in, Seattle at this point, I get distracted by whether the author has details right. Weird but true.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Y. said...

I like reading a variety of settings. I enjoy reading about familiar places, far away places, and nonexistant places. That is what is so fun about reading. You can go anywhere when you read a book. To me, it doesn't matter where the book is set as long as it is well-written.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

I like reading about places I haven't been and places that are entirely fictional. As an author, I'm a little leery about writing about a place I haven't been to, only because it only takes getting one fact out of place to throw the entire story.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Pamk said...

Or do you like far off galaxies where creatures and things we’ve never even thought of live? Planets that take a life time to get to, but are so worth the trip to go and see.
This is what I love to read about. But will read anything as long as the story is fabalous.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Keira Ramsay said...

I love reading anything about places I've been (and I've traveled a LOT being affiliated with the Air Force). The one place I *adore* reading and writing about, tho I've never been there is Ireland. Oh wait, Wales too. And Spain. Spain is the one place my hubby and I were bummed not to have been stationed in.

Keira/Terri

8:08 PM  
Blogger Mahaira said...

Well, Tiff, I am not a big fan of far off galaxies. There aren't many stories using the places I know. For me New York is as intriguing as Tokyo and I love to read stories in the present times.

Mahaira

9:51 PM  
Blogger Maura Anderson said...

My current WIP is partially set in Scotland, in the places where I spent my honeymoon.

I loved it - the sense of history is so much different than that in the U.S.

- M

9:52 PM  
Blogger jennyowl said...

I'm fond of regency, medieval Europe as well as futuristic Earth and other planets.

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders