Monday, January 23, 2006

What makes a Hero?

HI All,

Sorry I'm late, kitty emergency. She's okay, and no, for those of you who know me well, I didn't hurt her with my playful torturing...I saved her from herself!!

Thanks, Vesperia!!

Moving on... I have to say... it was a little hard trying to come up with something to talk about after Dakota's gossip column. That woman sure has talent doesn't she?

I'm not going to rely on talent to keep you interested...nope. I'm gonna pick a topic that I think wuill get you all smiling on a Monday morning.

Fireman+ScottHero's.

I want to know what you think makes a hero? It can't just be that he's the male lead in a story. In my opinion there has to be more to it than that. In some stories he's a rescuer...you know, the cop, the Navy SEAL, the Fireman. He's a resuer of all peopel and we all fall for him, the true Hero.

realcowboyhunkWhat about the Cowboy?

He's a great hero too. We all love a man that loves his horse. Even My mom in now a HUGE Viggo fan because she found out he liked the horse he rode in Hidalgo so much that he bought it. What is it about a man who loves his horse? (Or dog ) It makes us think he's got a soft spot somewhere in side, even if he's a bad guy. Does any one remember Johanna Lindsay's novel Angel? That was the first cowboy I fell for, and he was gunslinger. The original Bad Boy.

When you read a novel, does the cover picture of the hero get you daydreaming? Or is ithe words inside? The description the charcaterization? What really makes him a hero? His looks? Or His acts?

desk01_1024Has anyone seen Four Brothers? The misfits of society that one woman raised on her own? They're not nice guys...but I fell for each of them, because of the love they showed thier mother. They did some not so nice things, but I cheered them on. Now, Is that becasue it was a good story? Or good characterization? Or just cuz I think Marky Marky is Hot?

I think ultimatley , a hero is the man we fall for. He saves us from giving up on happily ever after, and he saves us from boredom. But for him to do that, he has to be engaging. He could be a dentist, saving people from rotten teeth, or an anti social, growly artist with a scarred face . . . .It's his actions that make the heroine fall for him...and it must be believable when she does fall for him...or I as a reader, won't.

What about you? What do you think makes a hero? What makes you fallfor him?

20 Comments:

Blogger Darragha! said...

What makes a hero? Three simple words.

"As you wish."

Know of whom I speak?

Darraghaaaaaa

PS My upcoming LSB release has a hero/cowboy. Looks like Viggo in Hildago.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Y. said...

Great topic (and photos...LOL). And I loved Johanna Lindsay's Angel.

I agree with a lot of what you said. The description inside the book is what gets me daydreaming about the hero. I am not sure if there is one exact thing that makes me fall for the heroes. It is a combination of a lot of things (personality, attitude, physical characteristics, behavior toward the heroine and others, etc.) I like a variety of different male characters (the cowboy, the rake, the everyday man, etc.) so it is hard to pinpoint exactly makes him a hero to me.

However, you said "It's his actions that make the heroine fall for him." Well, that is what usually makes me fall for him too. How he behaves...if he is a jerk or too arrogant, then you can forget it.

-Jennifer Y.

P.S. I hope the kitty is okay.

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darragha ~ Hmmm mI think you need to see this picture...
http://static.flickr.com/12/17736764_362fda5b00_o.jpg

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer~ Kitty is fine.. Being very quiet and sleeping now. :)

Hero's. I agree.. I like a touch of arrogance and attitude, but then his actions usually show that there's more to him thatn the front he shows the world. And when he shows the heroine that 'more' it's special.

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sasha,

Glad your kitty is doing o.k.!

As to the topic of heroes, I couldn't have said it any better than you and Jennifer did! I agree with what both of you said.... It's really his actions that count!

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Annalisa!! :) Thanks for stopping by!


Beth!! I knew you'd like the Cowboy. He's there just for you ya know?
Sounds liekyour new hero is a very intersting. I love it!

Actions count big time...So what is it that man can do to you, for you, in front of you...that would make your heart melt?

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Robin!!

Hmmm Reward him huh? I'm sure he'll love it! Do you think you coudl train a man like we train dogs? You know..."Do what I tell you and oyou get lots of love and affection." Think it would work?

4:48 PM  
Blogger Caffey said...

Hey Sasha. I just can't resist a cowboy. Its not just the man and his horses, but its the man in his hat, his muscles to work the ranch and his strong personality that makes him quiet but loud in his actions! Oh goodie on the cowboy story darragha!
Cathie

5:25 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Hi

A hero can be anyone, of any shape, race or size. It's in the way they treat others and place the safety and happiness of others above their own.

www.elizabethsreviews.blogspot.com

5:52 PM  
Blogger Angela's Designs said...

Hi! Cover can sure help. Johanna Lindsey's Savage Thunder is one of my favorite books. I went to that website you linked to. Truth is, I may not have bought it with the Tiger Lily or Mountain Cabin cover that book has now. But the original bare-chested Fabio cover caught my eye! ;) Once inside the pages of a book, a sexy, tough, bad boy hero is what I like the most.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Sasha White said...

Seems we all agree. It's the actions that make the man. Looks are good. But really, even when I rad a discription of a hero in a book, it rarely sticks in my mind. In my imagination he's who I want him to be, and he doesn't have a distinct look. He just has an ...aura. One thatshines when he does allthose corageous things, fights fro whats right, even if he's only one doing it!

Yeah. Defintely the acts!

7:27 PM  
Blogger Pamk said...

omg i loved johanna Lindsey Angel. Some of her older books are fantastic. But anyway a hero to me is defined by his actions to those around him. Especially how he treats women, children, or animals.

8:45 PM  
Blogger ladycat713 said...

Character. Definitely character.My favorite hero is Spike from Buffy. Sure, he's one hell of a handsome man but it's his personality that made me love the character.

9:13 PM  
Blogger jennyowl said...

A not too perfect, 3 dimensional character but with characteristics that endear the reader to him e.g. honor, intelligence, courage, charm, wit, devotion.

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Marky Mark is hot, too. Just loved him in The Italian Job!

Nessie

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In a book, it is always the words that make the man come to life and crawl through my subconscious. To make a man a hero, he not only has to do what needs to be done, he has to go from being a static, good-looking engnue to having a depth of character - charm, caring and a quirky sense of humor - that sort of thing.

Angel by JL is still one of my all time favorite books.

Four Brothers was awesome! I never noticed Mark Wahlberg until he did movies then WOW did I take notice. I wanted to be the kidnapped girl in The Big Hit...LOL! But Four Brothers was put together exceptionally well. I liked that the director didn't try to "pretty up" the language, that it was kept real. It was a harsh, but for going over an age-old theme, it was pretty fresh.

Darragha I love the Princess Bride too :) but have to say that tied for first place is Val Kilmer in Willow - "without you I dwell in darkness..."

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tamara~ I actually don't find Spike good looking. LOl

However, this just proves the point...I do find him attractive and think he's a great Hero!!

2:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa! THE BIG HIT is one of my Faves! It's a John Woo film (so great acion) plus all those Hotties! I adore Mark Whalberg!!

2:24 AM  
Blogger Meljprincess said...

His actions make him a hero. And they better be good actions, too.

That picture of the cowboy is HO DOUBLE T!

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A hero is the guy who gets up every day and does the job because he has to -- whether that job is a fireman, a cop, a Navy SEAL, or the computer geek. He loves his mother and that one special woman in his life. And if he happens to be good with kids and pets, then so much the better. :)

Hope kitty is doing good. My kitty is curled in a ball at my feet -- her usual position when I am on the computer. That way she can keep an eye on me.

Rae Morgan

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders