Tuesday, November 15, 2005

You want me to post in a blog?

Hmm. I'm a boring person pushed by a muse to make me work. I know nothing about blogging. I was surprised when asked to join in. I'm one of those lurkers. Yahoo groups, blogs, whatever, I'm there only reading silently. I have opinions, but those would only anger the masses. Today I thought I'd give you a thrill (LOL) and tell you about my glamorous writing schedule.

Most mornings I wake at 6 to get my husband to work and wake the 5 year old at 7. The 5 year old complains until I get her to school. That leaves me at home with the 3 year old. I try desperately to check my email. Not an easy task with a three year old who eats every ten minutes. I get a few precious moments when a cartoon interests her that I can respond to emails. During commercials she insists I look at the newest shiny toy and then crawls into my life. It is very hard to type with a kid in your lap, especially singing the ABCs. Forget writing love scenes. That's not going to happen no matter how hot the hero.

At ten she is finished with breakfast and ready to start eating lunch. (I wish I had her metabolism. She's tiny.) I have lunch served and hope to do a little writing. Many times I get a paragraph or two before she spills or requires some attention. Anything I write at that point is usually trashed. After eating, cleaning, and checking the email again, I go pick up the 5 year old from school. She needs to be fed and then the hubby gets home. By the time everyone is settled I try to do a little reading. I love reading. It's my escape. Then there is dinner, baths, and story time. Finally I try again to sit down at the computer. The hubby wants me to watch TV, or talk about his day. I try. Around 9 I slink back to my computer, letting whatever is in the clothes dryer wrinkle and leaving the dinner dishes for later. At this point my muse is annoyed with me, but inspiration kicks in and I type like mad before bed. Tired and exhausted I realize that I haven't done the dishes or folded the laundry. I get these done and crawl into bed. Hubby is waiting. When sleep finally comes, it's gone in a blink and that awful alarm clock for my day to start all over again.

Bored yet. That'll teach them for asking me to do a blog. :) I know. It sounds like I live a dull life. I live other stories in my head.

Jennifer
www.JenniferCloud.com

12 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie Dee said...

Sounds about right with kids that age. Poor hubby is gettin' no nookie until both the kids are in school and your life becomes your own again to an extent. Seriously though, be sure and get a babysitter and go out every weekend you can!

You make me feel great about the oodles of free time I have at my disposal. This must be why it took me so long to finally get launched on a writing career.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Wowza Jennifer,

My schedule isn't that nutty, even with the grand daughter two days a week (age 2 1/2) and the teenage son who is involved in every sport known to man, or so it seems at times.

I need a nap just reading about your daily routine ~smiles~. I hope you have a stash of chocolate for those few quiet moments you get.

Michelle Hoppe
www.michellehoppe.com

10:08 AM  
Blogger jennyowl said...

Hi Jennifer, I admire your ability to fit in writing, emails and reading amidst taking care of home, kids and hubby. Thanks to all the talented authors like you who create these exciting, wonderful stories that we readers can escape to.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Jen,
When did my family come to live with you? Lol! I have a 5yr old daughter and a 4yr old son. My day starts the same, getting hubby to work and daughter to school. I too, have an every 10 minute eater in my 4yr old. His favorite word right now is awesome. If I am trying to read or write, every two minutes I hear "Mommy, look at that toy, that's awesome!". Presently he is pondering why we can't live in a pineapple like Spongebob. Lol. Well, I guess I will part on that note. It's feeding time again!
Zara

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your day sounds similar to mine. I have three kids around all day. It's a ton of work. Not much time for writing or reading. You do well.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Oy Ladies,

I hate to burst your bubbles, but you haven't seen eating until you have a teenage boy in the house. OMG, my son (going on 16) eats about every hour, but it's the size of the meals that amaze me.

He's very active in sports and to start his day, he drinks a high protein, weight building shake that has 1850 calories...yes you read that right one thousand, eight hundred and fifty calories in one shake and that is just a pre-snack to the morning snack he gets as soon as he arrives in the school store after I drop him off in the morning.

And, believe it or not, he has trouble gaining weight...he's 5'10 and weights 148 pounds at last weight in. OY, if I ate like he does, well, I don't even want to think about it.

Michelle Hoppe
www.michellehoppe.com

12:36 PM  
Blogger Estella said...

Sounds pretty much like a normal day in the life of a wife and mother.

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dull?

Jennifer, I need a nap after reading that.

I can barely handle a job & writing, let alone a family. Probably a good thing it's just me and the dust bunnies.

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree -- reading that makes me realize exactly how much free time I have! And yes, I'm grateful. Families are wonderful, but wow, so much work! Yes, I'm rather happy in my own little world, able to kill time as I please. Literally -- today, I actually took a 40 minute nap. At 4pm. From what I hear from women with kids (and husbands, as they seem to require nearly as much care...) that's something that doesn't happen often, if ever, for at least a few years.

Whew! Go away for a weekend, or something!

Lily

7:49 PM  
Blogger Amie Stuart said...

It does get easier when they get older but hten it's "he hit me" or "I need help with my homework" LOL

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, I remember those days. My sons are 20 and 16 now. I have worked from home (and with my dh) for the last 15 years. We change one set of needs when they're little for another set when they're older. Sports practice and games, learning to drive and taking them on dates, etc. Although they are able to entertain themselves when they're older. Except for when food is involved then it's "Mom, I'm hungry. What's there to eat. Mom, can you fix me something to eat?" They become needy again. Oh and this includes the dh.

I agree there were many times family thought that since I worked at home I had all this free time, yea right! One of the things we found out that helped when I needed to get a file done was we would have office time. The boys would color or do stickers, etc. They would do their "work" while I did mine. Use a timer to start work and finish work. This could maybe give you enough time to maybe check email or other writing work. Instead of trashing stuff maybe you could make notes that will help in your writing. I'm not a writer so I'm not sure how hard it is to get back to a place where you left off.

Lol, in the blink of an eye, they're grown up. :)

11:09 PM  
Blogger Wynn Bexton said...

Wow! I don't know how you manage to get writing done with all that activity. I live quietly alone and find it hard enough to focus!

3:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders