Saturday, November 12, 2005

Dream Weaver

Creativity has always been a part of me, even as a child. So it didn't surprise my friends and family when I set out to become a writer. They'd often seen me with my nose in a book and a pencil in hand, so they knew something would come of my love of reading eventually. But for me, being the curious gal that I am, I wanted to search my psyche and discover where my habit of creating scenes and dialogue in my head first began.

I think it was Barbie that helped me get my start. I would make up conversations between her and Ken, addings bits of drama that would make a soap opera seem insipid. Since then, you can be assured I'm constantly spinning dialogue in my head. Things I wish I would've said to someone, convo for my current work in progress, or simply talking myself into or out of something.

So Barbie was the answer to my dialogue, but what about the scenery? I suspect that harkens back to my pre-adolescent years when I was a terminal dreamer. Most were nightmares, some were humorous, others heartbreaking. Even while asleep, my imagination was overly active. I've had dreams that would make you scream with terror, cry with happiness, or feel fuzzy inside. I've spoken with aliens, rescued my cousin from a rabid dog who had an ostrich for a girlfriend (don't ask me where that one came from), and solved murder mysteries.

Now that I'm an adult at the ripe age of twenty seven, I seldom dream. When I do, they are short and sweet, not the recurring epic length nightmares that haunted me as a child. So I think in a way, my writing has become reflective of something I've been missing and didn't even know it. What once existed only in my dreams has now been transferred to something tangible. Of course, I don't write horror or suspense, but you can rest assured that I would have bucketsful of inspiration to draw from.

Now that you know a bit about my Muse, be sure to check out my latest LSB release, The Viscount's Muse.

Robin
www.robindanner.com
Putting the "R" in Regencies...

4 Comments:

Blogger jennyowl said...

My first serious attempt at writing of any real length was at 10 when I tried to describe the beautiful evening scenery outside my house. Growing up, I was greatly inspired by the Nancy Drews, Famous Fives and Three Investigators. In my english class and exams, I wrote adventure/investigative stories that run into 800 or more words, more than exceeding the 500 word requirement. I was encouraged by my teachers's comments that my writing was imaginative and vivid but when I entered teens, I got sidetracked by swotting for the heavier subjects and wrote less.

So I think it's truly wonderful that you persevered at it and is now published. Wishing you many success and recognition in your writing career.

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I'm only a reader, I am so very appreciative of those "dreamers" who write their stories for us to read! The only writing I ever did was for my high school paper and that was news type stories (what, when, where, and how type). I found it was an ok experience but would rather read than write. So I'm very happy just being a reader!

LOL, you said that playing with Barbie helped your creativity. Usually we're hearing that playing with Barbie dolls not being good role models for girls because of body image. I'm glad Barbie helped you create the stories you are writing today! :)

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Paige, I did have a recurring dream. The one about the rabid dog I mentioned? It came in parts to me every night over the span of a week. It was weird how it would just pick up where it left off.

Pepper, that's interesting how you write to stave off your nightmares. Now when I dream, they're typically lighthearted, but I still remember those nightmares I had as a kid. I'm glad you've found a way to put a halt, even if temporary, to yours.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Bonnie Dee said...

I laborously printed a story in second grade with two children, a witch and every adventure with monsters and magic I could cram into it. I was thrilled when the teacher let me read it aloud to the class. Also there were many overnights with my cousins when I would entertain with a scary story. Little wonder I became a Stephen King fanatic when his books first came out during my high school years.

It's wonderful when your writing dream finally begins to come true.

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders