Thursday, June 22, 2006

Hot and sleepy...Not!

Happy Summer! Or not so happy if you're where the weatherman says heat index over 100. Yes, that's Richmond tomorrow, and what does that make me want to do?

Sleep.

A lot.

So, in an effort to inspire forward momentum I thought I'd talk about trying new things. And I have been trying new things lately. I dragged my dad to a "Taoism" class that involved a pop song about chi and chakras. I think the whole thing would've been fine--coloring my spleen yellow and saying "courage" to my liver, or was it my kidneys?--but that song was all it took for my dad's skeptical side to kick in.

I've also started going to a new church. It's a unity church and the service involves meditation, which I love. The Father's Day sermon was about growing up without a father and the scars it leaves. I found it very moving and it certainly made me thankful for my dad and my husband, great fathers, both of them.

Another new thing is I've discovered the TV shows on itunes. Yahoo! I was able to get the Commander in Chief episode I missed, and the CSI season finale. But most important, through itunes, I downloaded the Dixie Chick's new album, "Taking the Long Way." I must say that my fave song on there so far is "I Hope." Did I say I was an exciting person? Sigh. I'm not.

However, this past weekend was an adventure for me, when Bridget Midway, Laura Bacchi, and I did a signing at an "adult" store in Newport News. We had some very interesting visitors, like the four graduates in 2006 glasses and the kid with the cast that had to sit by the door looking out while his parents shopped. Usually, when I've gone into this sort of store before, I've tended to look over my shoulder to make sure no one I knew was there. Here we were happy to see people we knew, like Denise--who tried on the impossible-to-walk-in shoes--because the people we knew bought our books.

I was trying to imagine if I could get a pair of thigh-high boots past my thighs, if they would just make me look shorter and stubbier than I already am. I was also curious if the white nurse outfit would turn the hubby on. Then Laura, Bridget, and the shop owner had to educate me on a few items, because let's face it, I'm behind the times. At the very least, I claim innocence and ignorance in all these matters, especially if my mom asks.

And the conversation at dinner! Whew! I had two ultimate margaritas and seemed to be talking about whether having two guys would be as good in reality as it is in fantasy. Feel free to weigh in on this issue.

Now my Grandma read Primitive Passion in one day--I sent her the paperback, because she doesn't have a computer--and she didn't even think it was too spicy. Hmm. Some things I just don't want to know, you know?

And now I'm reading about ghost hunters in a book by Katherine Ramsland. She seems to share my belief that there could be ghosts...but I need to see them with my own eyes to state that as fact.

Tell me about something new you've tried recently or plan to try. I want to hear all about it!

Shara
www.sharalanel.com

17 Comments:

Blogger Caffey said...

Morning Shara! Only way to sleep last nite was with the a/c. I just kept turning it off, got too cool, then back on because it was so humid.
I went to a pain clinic last month and learned lots about relaxation techniques that works for so much. Some involved were feeling different parts of your body with your eyes closed, thinking a calm picture(s), too full body massage, and swimming!! I loved smimming. I forgot how much I enjoyed that when I was a teen and in college. Trying to find out where there is something indoors near here that I can go to. So its a way to get the energy up as well as pain down.
They even suggested reading, not a problem :D
One thing I used to do weekly before is a bible study that really always enjoyed doing! I had a book for a section that I worked through. I started doing that again once a week and feels so good!!
Lastly, its making the contacts with my family more. I'm the one who moved away from home, while all the rest are still where I grew up. So there's this feeling of me being distant emotionally and over the years less and less contact and all. So I've just started to make contact even if others don't reply back with emails and cards to start and hope it brings me back there. To hope it brings me back home.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Caffey said...

Oops I didn't realize I wrote so much {blushing} You have a really good topic Shara!

8:18 AM  
Blogger Meljprincess said...

Hi Shara, I wish I still lived in Virginia Beach so I could visit the naughty store in Newport News. I want those shoes! Now, I met you and hubby and I think you'd look great in thigh-high boots and a nurses outfit. *G* Years ago, I met Katherine Ramsland in Orlando. I have two books by her but *of course* haven't read them yet. I have her book on vampires and one called GHOST. You've been busy, busy doing all sorts of very interesting and nice things. No new plans for me...yet. *weg*

8:53 AM  
Blogger Shara Lanel said...

Good morning, guys! I'm finally dragging myself out of bed.

Cathie, no post is too long ;-) I know exactly what you mean about the a/c. I had one that started spitting ice chips at me! A full body massage sounds like heaven...I've had a partial migraine all week, comes and goes, and a massage would be perfect for it. And contacting family is great. I just sent my Grandma and my sis my new book and pics from FL since I haven't seen or talked to them in a while.

Mel, any great naughty stores where you're at? There's a couple in Richmond, but I'm always afraid someone will drive by and say, "Hey, I know that car!" since I've got bumber stickers all over the back (the brightest from Daytona Beach). I've got one of Katherine's vamp books too. Apparently there's an older one that I might have to get from half.com.

Shara
www.sharalanel.com

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Shara!
Stop yer complaining about the hot weather -- you moved there to get away from winter remember? ;)
That's your punishment!
So it doesn't sound like your experience was too biazarre at the store. Are you happy or sad about that? ;)

I laughed to read that grandma read one of your books! You don't ever really know DO you?

-- othermom7

11:35 AM  
Blogger jennyowl said...

Hi Shara, I tried J. D. Robb's series recently and am hooked.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Shara Lanel said...

Heh, away from the 6 mos. of snow, yes. Into 97 degrees and 70 percent humidity--maybe not. What's it in the snow belt? Seventy? Grandma's read both of my books. Shocking, huh?

Hmm, I've left out a couple of the...interesting...stories I heard while at the store. I was hoping Bridget Midway might pop on here and elaborate.

Jenny, I love the JD Robb series! I've gotten behind sadly--my friend says I'm like 10 books behind, but I don't think that can be true. I'm also behind on Evanovich (9-12), the Sookie series (Charlaine Harris), Elizabeth George, and Laurell K. Hamilton (Incubus Dreams is calling my name). I just don't read as fast as I used to.

Shara
www.sharalanel.com

11:56 AM  
Blogger Shara Lanel said...

Cyn, iced coffee maybe. Teaching middle schoolers--good luck! Definitely not my thing. My seven year old already acts like a middle schooler. Can't imagine when he actually hits eleven. Right now have him regressing a bit to watch Mr. Rogers.

Jeff, I'm ready when you are. Got your copy reserved. Of course, I'm waiting for you to read more of my Mars story to tell me how flipped out you are. *g*

Shara
www.sharalanel.com

12:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Shara,

I had an absolutely great time with you and Laura Bacchi at the signing this past Saturday. We'll have to do that again sometime. By the way, did you all notice Shara's "tattoo" behind her shoulder? (Here's a hint: Look in the mirror.) It's a Liquid Silver tat. I would tell you about the piercings but maybe Shara wants to tell you about those. *LOL* Just kidding.

BridgeT
www.BridgetMidway.com

12:56 PM  
Blogger Shara Lanel said...

Just the ears, thank you very much, Bridget! Hopefully hubby's not reading this or you might make him nervous.

Do you know those tats get very itchy if you don't take them off the next day?

Shara
www.sharalanel.com

1:13 PM  
Blogger Darragha! said...

This has nothing to do with today's topic, and I apologize...it's just that I'm very, very happy to report that my husband, who has kidney disease, received a good news today: His kidneys are functioning normally. His "bad levels" went down 2000 POINTS in the past 3 months. He's been working very hard on our chosen spiritual path (Buddhist/SGI-USA) and has been taking an anti organ rejection drug. All I can say is: NO KIDNEY TRANSPLANT FOR MY HUSBAND!

WHOOHOO!

Thanks (and excuse the interuption)

Darragha

1:18 PM  
Blogger Shara Lanel said...

Darragha, That's fantastic! I'm happy for you and your husband. I can't imagine how much worry you must have gone through waiting for this.

Shara

1:38 PM  
Blogger Laura Bacchi said...

I had a blast hanging out with you and getting to know you! And you should've bought the boots!

Yeah, there were some interesting dinner conversations, but luckily I was too angelic to take part in those... LOL

Glad your grandmother could handle the heat in your book. I look forward to reading it :)

Take care!

8:12 PM  
Blogger Shara Lanel said...

Bec, only 3 weeks of winter? How heavenly! And I've tried the ice skating and yoga, but not indoor climbing. For some reason that sounds like hard work.

Laura, ahem...too angelic, did you say? Sure, sure. My lips are sealed.

Shara
www.sharalanel.com

8:25 PM  
Blogger Meljprincess said...

In Newport? HA! I'd have to drive to Providence to go to naughty stores. What's the title of the KR book you might have to get at half.com?

That's wonderful news, Darragha!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Shara Lanel said...

Mel,

I think it's Piercing the Darkness. I have her other one called The Science of Vampires.

Yay, hubby just put in a new a/c for the back rooms.

Shara

9:55 AM  
Blogger Meljprincess said...

"Piercing the Darkness"
I have that one, Shara!

Hope you're nice and cool. I'm sitting by a window feeling the most delicious ocean breeze coming through.

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders