Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Embrace Your Inner Groupie

Kate Willoughby here. You know, there are certain male professions that just “do it” for me. I meet some friends every week at Starbucks and whenever a firefighter wanders in, I have to struggle not to stare. There’s something about that uniform! Yes, I know it’s a grungy pair of mustard yellow baggy pants and suspenders of all things, but shoot, the sight of a man in that outfit slaps my hormones upside the head. Even in this picture you can’t see what these guys really look like, but you just know under that asbestos suit there’s a Real Man who could toss you over his shoulder and carry you off to his bunk at the firehouse.

Same with guys who work construction. No, not the potbellied ones whose butt cracks you’d pay NOT to see, but the buff ones, the ones who, if they made eye contact with you and pulled off their hard hat, would only have to crook a finger at you to hop into his bed. Can you picture him? He’s in a pair of well-worn jeans, kick-ass boots, and tool belt that hangs at a slant around his lean hips. His muscular build is a result of sweaty, physical labor.

That’s why the hero of my new book, Losing It, is in construction. Ben doesn’t wear a hard hat, but he has an impressive, ah, set of tools. In another manuscript of mine, the heroine has a thing for firefighters, like me.

I asked a group of women this question: When fantasizing about your perfect lover, which occupation most appeals to you? What's sexy to you? For instance, do you fantasize about a prince or a hunky firefighter? List any that appeal to you. I ask you the same question. Post your answers in the comment section here. Then come on over to the "Behind The Scenes" section of my website to find out what were the top five ranked sexy male professions were. The results surprised me.

9 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie Dee said...

An actor. Particularly a stage actor, someone who can sing, dance and put out the dramatic goods as well. I admire the performing arts all to hell, and a good singer can move you with his sexy voice alone, doesn't even matter what he looks like.

So, yeah, uh, that's kind of two things. A singer. Close your eyes and listen to Michael Buble's smooth voice.
And an intelligent actor. Give me an Edward Norton over a prettier face with less talent any day.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Vivi Anna said...

I'm a sucker for a man in uniform, especially police officers and firemen, oh and EMT's...

I think it's the hero thing for me...

but Bonnie, yes an intelligent deep actor....mmmm, Edward Norton...delicious, Christian Bale, David Duchovny...mmmm, I love a man with a brain and a bod to go with it...

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lawyers. I have a SERIOUS lawyer fetish. I'm partial to litigators, obviously, because they're seriously sexy alphas, but M&A and securites lawyers will work, too.

A sharp suit, sharper mind, and ridiculous work ethic will do it for me. Oh, and a chiseled face and intense eyes. (A friend once pointed out I was attracted to guys with a hawkish glance. Serious predators.)

A hot bod wouldn't hurt, but I'm not going to be that unrealistic. Toned is fine ;-)

6:41 PM  
Blogger Darragha! said...

School custodian.
Yeah...I know...we all have our fantasies...

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I would have to say cops. I think it's the authority figure thing. I looove Joe Morelli from the Stephanie Plum series.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Krissy said...

In no particular order

1) Firemen - you nailed that one Kate
2) Cowboys - ever been to a Rodeo, Hello! And so damn polite.
3) Military Men - Again with the polite!
4) Pilots (Duh!)

Tina

11:19 PM  
Blogger Kate Willoughby said...

Certain actors do it for me, and some of them are NOT pretty. John Malkovich comes to mind. Tee hee.

Yeah, uniforms do it for me, too, Vivi.

Lily, you'll like the results of my survey!

As a teacher, the custodians I've worked were not sexy at all. Two have been women, one was about 60, and the last one is too rotund. ;)

Joe rocks.

Yeah...sigh...firefighters. I think they're number one on my list. I hope I can raise my boys to be polite men.

2:52 AM  
Blogger Meljprincess said...

Soldiers, cops, firefighters, construction workers, and cowboys.

11:43 AM  
Blogger catt said...

1.construction workers
2.firefighters
3.police men
4.emt's

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders