Thursday, March 02, 2006

Thanks For the Memories… NOT!


In past blogs I’ve written of fond random thoughts from the past. Today I’d like to address another side of the past—how it changes form in the present. While avoiding writing this morning, I had TMC (Turner Classic Movies) on TV. For the past few weeks they’ve been showing films nominated for Academy Awards, so the offerings are pretty darn good. Today I decided to watch a film I’d seen before and remembered as being good. (I half-watched because I was also whomping up on my computer in a mean game of Solitaire. No box of nuts and bolts is going to outdo ME when it comes to games. Not more than 80% of the time, anyway.)

Back to the film. It occurred to me that I’d liked this movie—Midnight Lace—when I saw it before. What’s not to like? Doris Day, Rex Harrison, and hunky John Gavin. The premise of this one is, rich Doris is married to rich Rex Harrison. They move to London, and immediately Doris starts receiving threatening phone calls. The caller says he’s going to kill her by the end of the month. We (the viewers) never hear the caller say that, but Doris being Doris, who could doubt her? Who? Everyone in the movie it seems, except hunky John, who eventually comes to the rescue when it turns out she’s not looney tunes.

I have to confess something. I’m one of ten people in the world who isn’t ashamed to say I really liked Doris Day movies. But today … today I have to admit I was on the would-be killer’s side. In fact, Doris moaned and groaned and pissed and cried so much, I was practically begging the killer to come and get her. “She’s in the bedroom!” I shouted to the TV screen. I was so incensed, I missed black-eight-on-red-nine and lost the Solitaire game I was playing at the time.

So, Midnight Lace. Once liked, now, well if I could type a Bronx cheer, I would. This run-in with Doris led me to think of other things that have changed with age and perspective. For instance, my grandmother’s house in Iowa, which I remember as being very large, was really pretty tiny when hubby and I visited as adults. I tried reading Gone With the Wind many years after first falling in love with it and couldn’t get beyond the first couple of chapters. It seemed kind of silly, and I found myself wishing it was more, I don’t know … erotic, maybe. I've been spoiled. And who hasn’t run into an old girlfriend or boyfriend and wondered what in the world attracted us to that person?

There are a few positive things in my theory. I like Brussels sprouts and asparagus now, neither of which thrilled me during those years I thought my grandmother’s house was so big. And I look at AGE very differently. I not only don’t think people over 30 have an obligation to drag themselves off somewhere and stop being a bother, I’ve come to look on 60 as being quite sprightly.

An exception to my new theory is in music. The same inane lyrics I loved as a kid, I love today. I mean, they just don’t write songs like Wooly Bully anymore. Thank God.

What are some of the things you look on differently now than you did a few years ago? Life, marriage, clothing, books? With age comes wisdom, they say. I can’t vouch for that, but I do know that with age comes at least one new way of looking at the same old things. Share, please!

My newsletter subscribers know what to do to win a download of a book. They have two chances to win because I’ll also select a participant at random here for a download of either I’m No Saint, Valentine or The Nature of Nature. Winners to be announced around 9 PM!

Thanks for joining me, even though I had no nude photos, like yesterday's blogger :)—

Dee
www.deesknight.com

13 Comments:

Blogger jennyowl said...

When I was young and trim, I was a conservative and sometimes terrible dresser (hiding secondary four graduation photos) but now I lament that I don't have the body to wear those tight fitting and sexy clothes.

There are books and music that I liked in their day but now find unremarkable or plain annoying. Then again, there were books that didn't grab my interest until I reached a certain age e.g. Agatha Christie.

Some things remain constant though. I've been listening to my favourite singer since 1994 and his voice is still as clear and moving as ever.

5:01 AM  
Blogger Dee S Knight and Anne Krist said...

bec, I think taking the time to look around and enjoy what we have is one of the BEST things about changing perspectives with age. Congratulations on recognizing what's important in life!

Oh, jennybrat, please tell me that being conservative doesn't make one a bad dresser. There must be some other reason people look at me funny when I wear my Argyll knee socks, striped slacks, and plaid jacket.

You're so right about finding new books. I have to admit, I never read a Harlequin until I was well into my adult years. Before that I thought they were stupid and fluffy. Later I discovered how much fun fluffy can be.

Dee

8:26 AM  
Blogger Sherrill Quinn said...

One thing I've noticed about me is how I feel about Saturday Night Live. It's not funny now, and when I was a teenager (watching John Belushi, Dan Ackroyd, Steve Martin, Bill Curtis, Eddie Murphy, Jane Curtain, Gilda Radnor and the others) I thought it was hilarious. Whenever I catch a show now, I think most (if not all) of the skits are just stupid and silly. Although it could be that the actors aren't as good now--I mean, come on. Martin, Curtis, Murphy, Belushi? How can you improve on that?

9:31 AM  
Blogger Dee S Knight and Anne Krist said...

Sherrill, isn't it awful? When SNL was in its heyday, I rarely stayed awake long enough to watch. Humor does change, but I think you have a point about the actors. Not that the current ones are bad, but compared to the originals ... well, as you say, maybe nothing can compare.

Dee

9:56 AM  
Blogger Dakota Cassidy said...

I do exactly what Bec said. I spend more time smelling the roses now than I ever did.

Stuff changes in a nanosecond and sometimes, there's nothing you can do about it. I'm good with that nowadays. There was a time when I would have tried to control those changes.

These days, I try to find the adventure in them :)

Dakota :)

12:24 PM  
Blogger Bonnie Dee said...

Age. It's unfortunate we don't have the self-confidence in our twenties that we do at forty-something. Well, maybe some people do, but I didn't. I wanted to be a writer, but knew only a handful could make it in such a competitive field and doubted that I would be one of them. I spent many years being a homemaker, mother and office worker, all legitimate pursuits but not what I'd intended to do with my life.
So age and time brought me the self-confidence to do a lot of things I didn't dare when I was younger: take a main role in a stage production, sing in front of people, dare to be published, take rejections like Russell Crowe absorbing body blows in Cinderella Man.

I like age. I have a new one as of yesterday--45!! Unbelievable! But if it took age to bring me my new found belief in myself, it's well worth the sprinkling of gray hairs.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Y. said...

I am one of those ten people too! Calamity Jane and Move Over, Darling are my favorites. I have never seen Midnight Lace though.

One thing that I have watched and wondered why I ever liked it have been some of the classic cartoons. I watch them now and think, "This is just crazy."

1:01 PM  
Blogger Dee S Knight and Anne Krist said...

Hey, Dakota. You're so right--things can change in nothing flat. Maybe having a few years under the belt lets us know that change is okay?

Happy birthday a day late, Bonnie! It's great you're taking the risks that are important to you. When I was in my mid-twenties and wanting to go trucking with dh, I worried about everything. It meant leaving conmfortable jobs, a nice place to live, all of our furniture--virtually turning our lives upside down. A lady I worked with said, "What's the worst that can happen?" I'd never thought of that--how strange! And it made sense. SHE was in her forties, and was able to see things from a perspective I never would. Or wouldn't for another twenty years, lol.

You're my pal, Jennifer!! The ten of us have to stick together. I'm sorry if I messed up Midnight Lace for you. It's actually worth watching just for hunky John, lol. I can't tell you how many times I've watched Pillow Talk, and I still laugh. "You are my inspiration..."

Dee

1:52 PM  
Blogger Shara Lanel said...

I HATED onions when I was a kid, would scrape them off my McD's hamburger every time. Now I like onions and HATE McD's. Except for Egg McMuffins. Those are simply road trip necessities.

One movie scared the bejeesus out of my friends and I as kids was "Children of the Corn." So a couple years ago we rented it and watched. OMG! Terrible! So now our catch phrase is "Don't go into the corn!" Yes, we laugh every time one of us brings it up.

Also I remember being a big cheerleader for 80s fashion. Now that the bubble skirts have made a return (someone on the Today Show had one on last month), I'm asking myself what possessed me! But I still like the fingerless lace gloves. No idea why I wore leg warmers instead of pants.

Shara
www.sharalanel.com

2:01 PM  
Blogger Dee S Knight and Anne Krist said...

Fashion comes and fashion goes, Shara. Thankfully it goes.

I saw some show the other day where a guy went to McDonald's, got a double cheesburger, fries and a Coke for 67 cents!! I have to say, I rarely eat at MickeyDs, but I still love them. It's a vice, but I have so few vices I feel I can indulge that one, hahaha.

Dee

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to be so late joining in, Dee. But I can sympathize completely. With me, it's James Bond. Loved him in the 60s! I remember going with my girlfriends to see FROM RUSSIA, WITH LOVE and swooning over Sean. But you know what? I watch that movie today and am so turned off by the chauvinism. He SLAPS his Russian lover! I mean, that's abuse, no matter that he thinks she's a spy. And GOLDFINGER, my very favorite for years, seems hokey today. Did I actually think they could crush a Lincoln into a 2 foot square and drop it in the bed of a compact and drive away? The suspension would've collapsed! *LOL*

So for me, it's James Bond. He just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Nessie

10:38 PM  
Blogger Dee S Knight and Anne Krist said...

But Nessie, Sean Connery!!

I understand your point, though...

Dee

10:42 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Y. said...

Those old James Bond movies just make me laugh!!! Oh, and I agree with Shara on Children of the Corn. It used to scare me...now I laugh.

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders