Wednesday, July 26, 2006

A World without Computers...


What in the world did we do before computers and the Internet? This past weekend, I had a minor problem with my laptop that put it out of commission for a couple days, and I felt completely lost. Although when I travel these days, I take my Alpha Smart with me for writing, this was completely different. I had a million things to do and half of them had to be done on the computer. With the exception of my writing, I started thinking about how much I depend on my computer for other things. I pay bills, bank, read the news, email, and a ton of other things just on the Internet. Let’s face it. I’m also doing this very blog because of a computer.

Ten years ago, I didn’t have an email address, didn’t search the Net, and more importantly never would have guessed that I would ever e-publish a story. Now, for an author, the Internet is one of the most important tools for marketing, communicating with fans, and most importantly, provide those stories that keep readers interested.

I realize now that there are so many people out there that I have a “cyber” relationship of some sort, but I have never met in person. Between all the loops I’m on and all the other contacts I’ve made through LSB and other sites, there are people I wouldn’t know if I saw them on the street. How strange is that? It’s almost as though a person can almost be someone completely different than who or she really is in real life. At the same time, it can be very dangerous, which is a whole other can of worms I don’t want to open.

If your computer was taken away, what would be the greatest impact on your life? I can’t even begin to imagine what would be the greatest loss for me. . .

Erin Katz

www.erinkatz.com

Check out my web site for information regarding my releases from Liquid Silver Books.

7 Comments:

Blogger The Corporal said...

In a world without computers, I'd actually have to go to the bank and deal with actual people to pay my bills. Who wants that?

11:58 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

No computers? Oh, the horror!

Ok, I know I'd survive. But I'm just happy I don't have to. *knock on wood*

12:27 PM  
Blogger A J Matthews said...

I'd have to write with a pen... and paper..! Oh, the writer's cramp!

4:21 PM  
Blogger Tina Holland said...

I store alot of writing information on my computer...but I do sometimes write with a pencil and pad. It's not as pretty but the editing when I type it up is. I think I would suffer more without my cell phone. I'm a text addict and that instant communication with friends is wonderful...not to mention I have all the phone numbers of everyone I know in that thing...to lose that...Ugh!

Tina

7:08 PM  
Blogger Tamara said...

Communication. I talk to a lot more people on the net than I do in person. Plus I trade dvds over the internet (I can't do that here), enter contests and read fiction.

7:50 PM  
Anonymous annalisa said...

My computer broke down about two weeks ago. I was totally without one for three days before my sister was kind enough to loan me her husband's computer since he doesn't use it. You really don't know how much you depend on your computer until you are without one! I'm still waiting to see if mine can be fixed......and next time I won't put off backing up my files......

12:15 AM  
Blogger Roxy Harte said...

since my laptop crashed and burned, I'm totally sympathizing...

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders