Tuesday, April 11, 2006

So, Just How Did You Become An Erotic Romance Writer?

This is my first blog so if I goof it up, please be gentle and don’t tell me.

I had dinner with a few writer friends last night to celebrate the release of Betrayed and the pending launch of my website.

Betrayed is my first foray into erotic romance and the question of “why did you write this book” came up.

Well, two of my good buddies write wonderful erotic romances and basically, dared me to try my hand at it. Start with a novella. It’s only 25,000 words.

Sure, I could do that. I could write an erotic romance novella. NOT! I can’t do anything short. I can’t even say “Hello” in less than a thousand words. But maybe I could write an erotic romance novel.

I started plotting it out as kind of a lark but then something incredibly strange happened. Princess Arrianna came to life and that alpha-male war lord, André de le Monte, became larger than life.

The story took off on its own. I was the classic picture of the obsessed writer who couldn’t stop. Very Joan Wilder-ish in “Romancing the Stone.” I survived on coffee and Diet Coke, my family had to scale huge mountains of rubble to get about the house, and Tony’s Pizzeria delivered here so frequently, Tony kept his spare truck in our garage.

I lived and breathed Bethany, Le Monte and the Middle Kingdoms. As I typed, characters refused to stick with the plot. They had better things to do, and they knew what they wanted. I was merely here for their convenience.

Five weeks from the day I started it, I finished the final round of editing. Never had I written so much so quickly. It was done. Arrianna and André’s story was told.

So, now what?

I stumbled out of my home office. I couldn’t seem to get enough air in my lungs. What would I do now that the chapters were completed? Now that Arrianna and André no longer needed me?

I took a quick tour of the house. Five weeks of housework piles up very high, very fast. I would need a front-loader and a dumpster to clean up this place. So I did the only thing a sensible woman could do. (Sadly, running off to the islands with Antonio Banderas was not an option.) I turned right around, headed back into the office and started my next book.


Actually, it wasn’t difficult to glue myself to my chair each day. I usually use a picture of my hero as my monitor wallpaper. Here is André. Some of you may recognize him.



Thanks for joining me on my first blogging. It was a lot of fun. I had a great time writing “Betrayed” and hope you enjoy Arrianna and André’s adventure!

Eileen Ann Brennan

6 Comments:

Blogger Meljprincess said...

You blogged beautifully, Eileen. I'd like to read "Betrayed".

You share your name with one of my favorite actresses. Cool.

12:09 PM  
Blogger A J Matthews said...

A lovely blog, Eileen, and I know exactly what you mean when you describe the writing process ;) Congratulations on the book and many happy sales to you!

1:10 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Y. said...

Great blog! Congrats on the new book!

2:28 PM  
Anonymous TracyMontoya said...

Great blog, Eileen! I can't help but want to read this after reading about your enthusiasm for the book.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Marianne LaCroix said...

Congrats on the new release, the first of MANY, I hope.

Gosh, I am so happy to have another sexed up romance author in the chapter!!! LOL

Mari

9:13 PM  
Blogger Vanessa Hart said...

I just bought BETRAYED and can't wait to read it, Eileen.

Your buddy Nessie

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders