Sunday, April 30, 2006

Left of Centre

Hi Everyone,

I had an interesting conversation the other day. I was telling a friend of mine that my son ferries phone messages to me, asks for money and seems to make all important requests of me…while I’m in the shower! No, he doesn’t knock on the bathroom door, he doesn’t yell through a gap in the door, he just strolls on in and has a chat with me while I’m aiming for some peace and quiet.

This is probably my own fault. I have no real reservations about nakedness. If I’ve been mowing the lawn on a hot Summer day, I will strip off, right where I am, and leap in the pool. I’ve also been known to go wandering through the house in my underwear, looking for the clothing I thought was in my cupboard but which, it turned out, was in the ironing basket. And THAT may have stemmed from the fact that I’m basically a lazy person, so if I can stick children in the shower or bath with me, and wash them while I wash myself…then I will.

My friend thought it was a little odd that my family, (husband and two children) don’t consider nakedness an issue. She told me that most people she knows would find my behaviour a bit ‘left of centre’. This has played on my mind. I’ve actually been worrying ‘Am I odd?’ ‘Am I twisting up my children?’

Since then, I have received a couple of reassuring ‘signs’. The first was in the lingerie section of a big department store. A mother was in there with her two children. The kids were playing amongst the racks while Mum shopped for new bras. Finally a small boy child’s voice asked “Mum, can we go now? This is boring…and disgusting!” I kept eavesdropping (of course) to hear what Mum replied, and it went like this… “This is not boring you idiot. This is underwear. Everybody wears it. It’s not disgusting, it’s normal, so shut-up and let me choose some nice stuff.” I chuckled and went happily on my way.

Driving home today, there was a campervan in front of me with a sign on the back door that said “If God wanted us to run around naked, we would be born that way!” I actually laughed out loud at that one.

So I’ve decided, that despite perhaps being a little ‘left of centre’, I’m no weirder than anyone else. What about you? Are there things you do that make people think you’re a variant on the norm? And how does it affect you?

Rebecca Williams

11 Comments:

Blogger Tina Holland said...

I know exactly what you mean Rebecca.

I've always felt a little left of center myself. Being the child of hippies has not helped me grow up in a materialistic, occasionally conservative world. As an example, (and I often tell this story so I apologize to those who have already heard it)

My grandmother had once asked why I chose to write erotica, I looked at her and said, I didn't know I had.

To which she smiled and nodded. My grandmother grew up on a working farm, with 5 siblings, for them SEX was merely something animals and people did.

This family talked about everything from Birth Control (what worked what didn't) to which positions worked best for getting pregnant (for boys or girls) and even what to do at that time of the month.

Having been a child in this environment I confess it made my teenage years easier, not growing up in a family that said one thing and then did something else. But I know my husband's family found it a huge adjustment when they met my own. That's another story though.

Tina

9:31 AM  
Blogger Meljprincess said...

Um...yea...I have a mohawk and several piercings and tattoos. The only time I get mad is when someone is rude and says something stupid. If someone compliments me (and they do!) I'm cool.
Luv, Grandma Punk

10:28 AM  
Blogger Jan Darby said...

Love that picture.

And while I'm not a nudist of any sort (and, really, trust me, the world is better as a result), I used to be a lifeguard at a lake, and there was this barely-toddler-aged boy who was playing in the edge of the water, naked, having abandoned his diaper back at the towel a few feet away where his mother was relaxing while keeping an eye on him.

No problem, I thought. I wouldn't want to be wearing a water-sucking diaper in a lake, either, and this was a million years ago, before they had swimming gear for infants, so naked certainly seemed reasonable.

Next thing I knew, some prissy person was demanding that I force the kid's mother to put a diaper on him, b/c his nudity was indecent and an affront to all five people on the beach at the time.

Sheesh.

No, I didn't make the kid cover himself up. I had more important things to do, like shouting at the older kids heading for the anchored raft that if they were going to doggy-paddle, instead of swimming properly, I wanted to hear them bark.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Rae Morgan said...

Love the picture. I think I have one like that of my boy when he was that age. Of course, lately, there are people who say that a mother who takes pictures of her infant children naked is weird and, yes, perverted. I say those people need to get a life; we aren't talking child abuse here. We're talking cute pictures of naked babies doing cute naked baby things. Every child goes through the stage where he or she gleefully strips off all clothing when mom has her back turned and then runs around naked, giggling like a loon. Am I right? I know I read it in Dr. Spock and that other baby expert, too.

I think it is a sad world when people object to nakedness when all sorts of other atrocities and problems deserve their attention.

Okay, I'm done. Guess you might have guessed that I'm a tad bit left of center also. :)

So, I think you are just fine, Rebecca, and that your kids will probably have a healthier attitude about nudity and all things related thereto (read sex!!) when they grow up.

Rae

4:58 PM  
Blogger blackroze37 -tami said...

nudist here , also a female with 3 daughters and 1 grandaughter, who i let know its ok to burp ,fart, (without being gross) and reaize it all body funtions, and no faRTING CONTESTS

6:22 PM  
Blogger Estella said...

I grew up in a household of 6 children and my parents, where nudity was not an issue. If you saw someone naded, so be it. I raised 4 children in the same way.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Bec said...

You guys are great! I'm with you Tina on the 'choosing' to write erotica thing. I never really understood why there was a need to use euphemisms for things that already had names!

As for you meljprincess...my own mother has purple pieces in her hair and has a thing for tattoos and fatboys (the harley not the male type)...ahhhh I begin to see a pattern....

I can't believe anyone would be offended by a cute little baby bum Jan. I do love the way they wobble!

Rae, I think everyone does have one of those photos. I was recently looking through my photos of Europe and there in the middle of them, was my friends' son (three) putting his breakfast bowl in the dishwasher...while he was stark naked. Of course I took a photo!

Blackroze and Estella. I'm glad there are children being raised without hangups. And if we're wrong...they'll no where to look when forming a support group!

You know what I think it boils down to thought? We judge others by our own standards. If you're a liar, you constantly expect people to lie to you. Those who see perversion in nakedness...are the perverse. Those who see filth in a baby's wobbly bottom is feeling filthy themselves...yes?

12:16 AM  
Blogger Vanessa Hart said...

Rebecca, thanks for exposing us to the topic left of center. As for me (who is MUCH older than you), the bare fact is I feel better with clothes on. And look better, too *LOL*!

As for your son barging in on you without knocking, remember that we teach people how to treat us. It's not a matter of modesty. It's privacy, and you have a right to it.

And that's the naked truth!

Nessie

9:26 AM  
Blogger Meljprincess said...

Bec, does your Ma wanna get together with me and do a bit of slam dancing? Lots of Harley's here in Newport, now. *g*

11:18 AM  
Blogger Bonnie Dee said...

Had to respond to this even though I'm a bit late. We are definitely a nude family. My three daughters, myself and husband don't even think about it when we walk naked from point A to point B, usually from bathroom to bedroom.
It doesn't feel weird. It feels natural and doesn't bug any of us.
Too lazy to slip a robe on I guess.

But I'm proud to have daughters who aren't uptight and nervous about their naked bodies.

12:41 PM  
Blogger catt said...

little late in posting....
i thought everyone has pics of their babies nakid doing cute things until someone saw my pic of my 18 month old daughter in the tub, washing her foot proudly by herself, the person said "are you gross" or something to that effect. nakidness is a natural state,and raise my kids that way.

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders