Saturday, April 08, 2006

Better left alone....

I don't know about you, but aren't there some things that should have stayed in the past? Not been changed? I'm a firm believer of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

So why oh why did one of my favorite bands have to switch up their tune?


Are there any Pearl Jam fans out there? I'm a bit of a rocker chic here, I like hip hop to dance to, but if I'm gonna listen to a radio station, my first choice is always the rock station. Imagine my elation the other day when I hear the radio DJ announce a new single by Pearl Jam. Yippie! Eddie Vedder's voice is one to induce shivers of lust! The way he croons his scratchy lyrics to rockin' guitar. Every time I heard PJ it would bring back memories of ski trips, "rockin' and rollin", and how much I liked the era of grunge rock.

Until last week that is.

Pearl Jam recording again = Good Idea.

Their new single, "World Wide Suicide" = Career Suicide

If you haven't heard it, and you're a Pearl Jam fan, I beg you DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT! Your ears will bleed rivers of blood and you'll want to find the shortest rope and the tallest chair. If you have heard it, I'll be sending you a sympathy card.

If you're not a Pearl Jam fan keep reading you'll have a chance to participate. :)

I read a review for the single in Entertainment Magazine and here's what they had to say...

It takes some big stones to put out a single this unconventional. Eddie Vedder's vocals are muddy, the guitars crack out basic Nuggets-style garage rock, and the lyrics are apocalyptic antiwar Bush-bashing. Not the anthem we'd hoped for, but it's got a primal punk power that gets the pulse racing. A bit. B

I think they gave them a B for effort.

What's so horrible about it, you ask? Think Nickelback's fast paced hip hop rock with Eddie's voice. The music itself is good, fast, a bit catchy, decent guitar. Add Eddie's melodic slurred vocals and it just tanks.

I'm disappointed. As a fan, severely. I'll no longer have my pleasant memories of ski trips with my man, just reminders that they produced a song bad enough to cause deafness.

What are some things you think should have been left alone?
It doesn't have to be music or a band either. Here are some other examples in my opinion...

Coke vs New Coke - what was the reason for the change again?

Burger King changing their fries - the old ones were actually potatoes, it kills me to think that McD's are better than BK's now!

Bridgestone Tire commercials - who convinced the execs of Bridgestone that turning their commercials into romance snippits was a good idea. Does the "perfect" couple dirty dancing with tires floating around the TV screen make you want to run out and buy tires?

Tell me something you think should have been left alone!

I'll pick a winner from today's posts for a free Liquid Silver download!

11 Comments:

Blogger Estella said...

Terry Schaivo's death. Too much has been made of it already---let her rest in peace.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Paige Burns said...

I agree Estella, while it was a tragic event, I didn't agree with it being made so public or the media fan fare over it.

3:36 PM  
Blogger snowflake said...

Releasing a bumped up edition (some added features) of a movie DVD or music CD that has been selling well within less than a year. That's so unfair to the people who made it a bestseller in the first place, especially the collectors who then have to shell out more money for the definitive edition.

8:12 PM  
Blogger LISA WILLIAMS said...

I think they should have left "bell bottoms" back in time.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Pam P. said...

Aw, Lisa, I fondly remember my comfortable and worn bell-bottom jeans, lol.

I'm a long-time Coke drinker - the New Coke was definitely a big fiasco, never understood that one myself.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Maura said...

Boxer shorts belong as UNDERwear, not the top 4 inches before the pants that are a hair's breath from falling off a guy's ass....

11:22 PM  
Anonymous annalisa said...

I think that book titles should be left alone. If a book is re-released a few years later with a new title it would be nice if the original title would be printed under the new one. I find it very aggravating to buy a book and then realize I already have the book only under a different name!

12:08 AM  
Blogger blackroze37 -tami said...

i wanna know what can we go with RAP music, as jim said,, in not so far future,, rap is going to the be 'golden oldies" waaaaaa all i can , i hope my time is up then! so REAL ROCK SHOULD BE LEFT ALONE , not soft, not bubblegun

ROCK
SHOULD
BE
LEFT
ALONE

reg toilets should have been left alone, ive nevre seen so many women running from stalls with hose / pants around the ankles tryin to get away from self flushing toliets

3:05 AM  
Blogger madukwriter said...

TV shows that ended on a high but then are dragged out of retirement years later and it is awful.

In a similar vein when they get two characters together who the audience really wants to see together and have no idea how to write them as a couple. It usually drags down the show.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know the title to the song but it is the music that goes with Dirty Dancing.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Cindy said...

I left the last blog, I am cynderma at yahoo group site

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders