Friday, December 23, 2005

Why I Love a Good Sci-Fi Movie...


*Rae is out of town and in my haste to make it to work on time this morning at 4am, I didn't get a chance to post. My apologies! Tina*





Okay, I admit it, from since I was a child... I've been a Sci-Fi junkie. Love to watch it, love to read it, love anything having to do with a well-drawn, futuristic plight. I was an original Trekkie, both Star Trek and Voyager to the New Generation, Enterprise then as I grew I was drawn to the Star Wars movies. As I aged, it was Battlestar Galatica, both old and new, and Star Gate, and now I love Firefly and Stargate Atlantis. I tear up the latest J.D. Robb books in one sitting. I just can't get enough of good sci-fi.



Why? Who knows? I think it's mainly because Sci-fi takes me so out the woos of our current world and transport me into an exciting future, full of neat gadgets and cool language. I've always been fascinated by space, when I was a kid, my goal was to be the first female astronaut to land on Mars. A very small goal, indeed, huh?

Okay, some rules; it can't be cheesy Sci-fi, it has to be a great story with wonderfully unique characters, like the original Star Wars (which I still hold near and dear to my heart) and special effects that can't be equaled... that's all ;) .




I recently went to the new movie, Aeon Flux. I really liked it. The world building was top notch, the sci-fi was well done, not cheesy, and the characters developed throughout the movie, until I could totally sympathize with their plight.

Okay, give it up, are you a closet Sci-Fi fan too. What's your favorite and what are your rules?

Come read my latest futuristic novels here... http://raemonet.com/futuristic.html


Rae Monet

6 Comments:

Blogger LSB Author, Darragha Foster said...

I love Star Trek, in any incarnation of same.

When I was a small child, my mother, a sci-fi lover, called me inside from playing and told me that she wanted to watch a new TV show with me. That was 1966. The show was "Star Trek." I was hooked.

A year or so later, I phoned Leonard Nimoy, who was hosting a live telethon less than an hour from where we lived. I pledged 1.00 to his cause. I asked him to give me the "Vulcan Salute" on TV. He said, "This is for the little girl in Bellingham who just pledged a dollar." And he did the salute. And I passed out cold. Dropped where I stood.

My husband and I gave each other the "Vulcan Salute" as a part of our wedding ceremony and often press two fingers together, as Vulcans do, as a sign of affection.

In 2002 I accosted a Klingon at the Hilton's Las Vegas Star Trek experience. I would have done him on the spot. I've never felt so wildly out of control. I wanted him. And the poor guy was a hired hand in a costume! In 2004, same place, my husband was approached by a female Klingon. After a little bit of growling between them (my husband was SMITTEN), we had a run-in with some Borg, then went back to our hotel room and growled at each other! Thank the gods we got the girls a separate room!

Star Trek rocks.

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can you not love the escape a sci-fi movie/show allows you? I adore all things Stargate and am so happy that Claudia Black is coming back as a regular next seson and that Ben Browder has his hunk self on that show as well. Being a fan who missed Farscape, these two actors on another of my favorite shows makes the empty space go away (grin). As for Firefly...I love Jayne as well. How can you not love a man willing to trade his most precious Vera for the captain's new wife? (For those not familiar with the show..I won't explain my comment, but urge you to get the series on DVD) My husband and I went to see Serenity and both of us cried when...well again..not gonna say those who've seen it know and those who haven't the movie's out on DVD now. The release from reality is the most precious gift that sci-fi gives us. The possibility of 'what if'.

Serena (posting as anonymous cause I have no clue lol)

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Rae Morgan said...

Love scifi, Rae, posted by Tina. :) I watched Star Trek religiously and loved the original Battlestar Galactica. And Star Wars! As a young married women, my dear hubby took me to see it -- we were so poor, but he found the money to take me to the movie!

I believe that scifi romance will be the next big thing. Got a couple of those books rattling around in my head.

Rae Morgan

6:49 PM  
Blogger Robin's kawaii said...

i must admit that Star Trek is my favorite too. Daddy has lots of tapes. *grins* Though i do love a lot of sci-fi/fantasy stuff.

The best epic fantasy novels i've read would have to be Kushiel's Legacy Trilogy, by Jaqueline Carey. *grins* Raymond E. Feist is always a given.

It's lucky that my Dom is so into sci-fi too. *grins* Total geek, and i adore Him for it. Plus, He's fixed my computer, so how great is that? i'm sure that i'm pretty useful too. *winks* In other interesting ways, that is.

Sir(Robin, but to me, He's Sir) took me to see AeonFlux. W/we both enjoyed it immensely! (Charlize Theron, tight or barely there clothes... what's not to enjoy?) The graphics were great, and the actors seemed immersed in the world and their characters, which is a must for a good sci-fi movie.

Okay, i'm done talking, LoL!!!

Many blessings,
chibi-hentai

7:06 PM  
Anonymous annalisa said...

Love Sci-Fi! I grew up watching Star Trek - my favorite was Spock. Then Star Wars...when my kids were little we took them to see the first three of the series. Went to the drive-in to see the first one. It was awesome sitting beneath the stars watching it! I loved it as much as the kids. Still do! :)

I agree with Rae - I also think sci-fi romance will be the next big thing! Hope so!

Hope you have a happy holiday season!

8:12 PM  
Blogger snowflake said...

I love to watch Star Trek as a child.

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.

Click here to join liquidsilverreaders
Click to join liquidsilverreaders